Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Mango Joe wrote: »
    If they like Cheltenham that much to risk so many lives then they can fu(k1ng stay there.... We don't want them back & there's no loss to us without them anyhow.

Agreed, british army should set up a tent camp in the middle of racecourse and they can get all the Cheltenham they want for the next 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Yeah it put the skids in me. I was having visions of some kind of end of world apocalyptic movie where those kinds of speeches are transmitted through radio to the five remaining people left in the world. Grim! Fast forward to six when I can chug a glass of wine

[WOMAN CLICHÉ]It's 6 o'clock somewhere! Hahahahaha![/WOMAN CLICHÉ]

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Seems the UK won't be making any changes other than banning mass gatherings of more than 500 people. A very strange response given the drastic actions taken by other countries.

I have a growing suspicion that the UK are deliberately doing little in order to give an image of fortitude and stiff-upper-lip spirit, as they value that (generally self appointed) attribute very highly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mango Joe wrote: »
    If they like Cheltenham that much to risk so many lives then they can fu(k1ng stay there.... We don't want them back & there's no loss to us without them anyhow.

Should be compulsory quarantine - put some of those army camps and tents to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Cheltenham-Festival.jpeg

Because of the number of people who attend... more people = more chance of being infected.

Once the virus genie is out of the bottle it is impossible to put it back - without the strict measures recommended by the authorities.

Agreed, not sure why Cheltenham attendees are being described as evildoers by people who've probably themselves gone to non-essential social functions in the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Mr.S wrote: »
    The rush on the supermarkets should easy off, I think today it was expected given the announcement and people get that “oh **** this is real” feeling.

Might a day or two but yeh the rush will ease off as people calm down. It’s best it happens now rather then when deaths are piling up and people are even more scared. I’m kind of relieved we are at this point cause it’s been obvious for weeks we were going to get here. Also feel very encouraged by how our authority’s are really stepping things up fast. Anybody following this for awhile will recognise we are actually responding well, better then a lot of countries and it actually looks like there is a plan of action taking place. This includes supermarkets and food outlets prepping and planning for weeks so I’m sure they are well stocked up.

I feel very relaxed about this and think that we will all learn quickly to help reduce this spread thanks to Italy and our authority’s proving that they have tried to stay ahead of this.

Also, thank you to our healthcare workers in advance, we all need to get behind them, stop complaining and do our part. Wash your hands, cough/sneeze into a tissue, don’t make appointments that aren’t necessary, learn about social distancing, think before doing things (particularly around older/vulnerable people) , start planning out your day’s (I was chatting with our fitness instructor this morning to do online live feeds). There’s actually loads of things we can do over the coming weeks to turn this into a positive, learn a language , learn things you have put off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have a growing suspicion that the UK are deliberately doing little in order to give an image of fortitude and stiff-upper-lip spirit, as they value that (generally self appointed) attribute very highly....

Blitz spirit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Also, Tesco Ballybrack closed. Place was mental apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Drumpot wrote: »
    Might a day or two but yeh the rush will ease off as people calm down. It’s best it happens now rather then when deaths are piling up and people are even more scared. I’m kind of relieved we are at this point cause it’s been obvious for weeks we were going to get here. Also feel very encouraged by how our authority’s are really stepping things up fast. Anybody following this for awhile will recognise we are actually responding well, better then a lot of countries and it actually looks like there is a plan of action taking place. This includes supermarkets and food outlets prepping and planning for weeks so I’m sure they are well stocked up.

I feel very relaxed about this and think that we will all learn quickly to help reduce this spread thanks to Italy and our authority’s proving that they have tried to stay ahead of this.

Also, thank you to our healthcare workers in advance, we all need to get behind them, stop complaining and do our part. Wash your hands, don’t make appointments that aren’t necessary, learn about social distancing, think before doing things (particularly around older/vulnerable people) , start planning out your day’s (I was chatting with our fitness instructor this morning to do online live feeds). There’s actually loads of things we can do over the coming weeks to turn this into a positive, learn a language , learn things you have put off.

Yeah, poor aul Italy is the Western guinea pig that we're all learning from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Mwengwe wrote:
    Agreed, not sure why Cheltenham attendees are being described as evildoers by people who've probably themselves gone to non-essential social functions in the last week or so.

Because the sheer numbers in cheltenham, combined with the close proximity and the knowledge that this was about to explode is different to going to your aunt's wedding which had 100 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

spakman wrote: »
    It's bull**** - some fella was peddling that story on twitter yesterday and last week

You would hope that Clayton Hotels would report things like this to the Garda so the source could be ID'd and held accountable for spreading false and damaging information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mwengwe wrote: »

What other function the size and length(4 days) of Cheltenham has been on in the same time period?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

scamalert wrote: »
    well im usually pissed to see people sick and going into work, reality is theres many bastards who will crawl if they need to work, but in this case lock down and shut down on services that will affect many seems like pissing in the wind, as it might be 1-3 months, and will take one **** to spread it all over again, not smth thats possible to eradicate completely in modern age we live and with amount of people traveling.

all crap aside i would of imagined government pull whatever funds they need, if they have billions to pi$$ away on some projects that never see daylight never mind taxes they rake in from regular people daily, dropping a billion on acquiring few thousand isolation tents double pay for any medical workers and proper equipment to deal with extreme cases should be way to go, thus only dragging suspected cases and those in need, rest move on.

The chance of eradicating it isn't even remotely on the table at this point. That ship sailed a VERY long time ago, in terms of how long this virus has been on the move.

The point of restrictions now is to reduce the number of critically sick people at any one time, so that doctors here won't have to make as many decisions as doctors in Italy are having to make, about which people to just let die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Had a delivery from Tesco Carlow earlier, shop had to be shut because was too packed and people were leaving with Trolleys of groceries not paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

In a number of countries in Europe it's basically doubling every 3.5 days, or increasing at in and around 30% per day. At that rate if 43 today then -> 56 tonight is perhaps a solid guide. But day-on-day changes can be quite different, which is why the doubling every 3.5 days is probably a better rule of thumb.

Also not sure how our number will rise in line with NI, ie should we be treating the two jurisdictions as 1 or them are more influenced by the UK growth. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

laugh wrote: »
    Just had delivery from Tesco Carlow, shop had to be shut because was too packed and people were leaving with Trolleys of groceries not paid for.

Absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

All the idiots out panic buying today better of stocked up on condoms... Can you picture it in ten years time... Corona, come in for your dinner luv.... ha ha ha. Gotta laugh.

Its a disgrace Joe!

macnug wrote: »
    Did anybody see the Army standby notice doing the rounds on whats-app, is it real or what?

It's just to let them know to be ready to help any civil power that needs it. It's nothing new. Happens plenty. They'd have gotten similar during flood warnings, for searches for missing persons, extra help for guards etc etc. It's reasonably standard. It's not like their being told to prepare for civil war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

My folks live in Spain and there are 3000 cases there now and they said there is zero difference in the supermarkets, no panic buying etc. Maybe I should try to get down there for the foreseeable future.
    What part of Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Yeah, poor aul Italy is the Western guinea pig that we're all learning from.

Unfortunately so. Most people don't believe predictions of disaster in the health service until they see it happening, but Italy has given us all a view of what could happen here unless we act now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

The minute they announced schools would be closed, as we were in class, everyone just dropped everything and teachers went scrambling to quickly set up Google Classrooms properly etc.

The school day "technically" ended at 12:00pm lol

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

As soon as a vaccine/treatment/deus ex machina comes out, I'm going to Italy to spend a few quid.

They were the canary in the coal mine here and they are good people.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Justin Trudeau and his wife are in isolation now because she has come down with symptoms.
    Sophie Grégoire Trudeau is being tested for the COVID-19 virus and the Prime Minister is opting to self-isolate and work from home until receiving the results, the Prime Minister’s Office said Thursday.

Ms. Grégoire Trudeau began exhibiting mild flu-like symptoms including a low fever on Wednesday and she is self-isolating at home awaiting test results, the office said in a statement.

“The doctor’s advice to the Prime Minister is to continue daily activities while self-monitoring, given he is exhibiting no symptoms himself,” it said.

“Out of an abundance of caution, the Prime Minister is opting to self-isolate and work from home until receiving Sophie’s results.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

laugh wrote: »
    Just had delivery from Tesco Carlow, shop had to be shut because was too packed and people were leaving with Trolleys of groceries not paid for.

Are you serious, that's started already ffs
    They should be locked up, we don't need this.

Now I know why people looting are shot on the spot in some scenarios.
    Because if they're liable to rob openly who knows what they're capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Things are getting serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tuxy wrote: »
    What other function the size and length(4 days) of Cheltenham has been on in the same time period?
    Crufts wasn't on long ago...

In the coming days I expect many world-leaders to self-isolate after pretending to have symptoms. It is the best way to stay safe without losing face.

They would love to hide in their bunkers, boycott all public events etc, but that looks very bad and will cause a panic. So you say "oh I think my wife has it, I better do the responsible thing and self-isolate". It gives them a free pass to hide.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

UK: +130 cases/+2 deaths (so far) today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,520 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fergal Bowers is reporting like a fúcking champ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement