Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I did not call them 'evildoers... the powers that be had not yet said that their travel was dangerous. They just like the rest of us must do what we can to limit the spread of this damned virus.

The retrospectoscope is the most accurate instrument known to man and people have a nasty habit of trying to find scapegoats.

All that solves nothing.

Trying to 'flatten the curve' and reduce spread is all that matters now.

Nah i know, some people are though. The buck stops with the authorities on that one, it shouldn't have gone ahead. The nature of people is that they'll say 'well, there's going to be thousands there whether I go or not so I may as well go...'
    I don't agree with that kind of abdication of repsonsibility but there you go.

And I think until lockdown measures are brought in people are going to be making those decisions in a way we don't agree with, it may be on smaller scales than Cheltenham but it also may cause harm to others without the person ever knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

That cruise ship should be told to sail on. We don't need the 750 tourists right now. They can come again when there's no issue.

If you think about it, they spend very little money into the economy as they're basically glorified day trippers with a floating hotel and they're a big risk right now.

Cost:Benefit needs to be done quite brutally at the moment on all of these things and they are a big cost in the sense of introducing further risks and potentially massive cost and burden on the health system in a crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Figures already out. +130 cases/+ 2 deaths.

Its the outcome of the COBRA meeting this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That would mean strong, decisive leadership from the government which would also be unpopular for a small number of people.

Its never going to happen.

They will be let in, no checks or questions asked and unlikely to be told to self isolate until further notice.

Sure we need the tourists, etc

They literally shut down vast portions of the country not 5 hours ago.

Away out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Xertz wrote: »
    Not sure what's going on with Vodafone, but Virgin Mobile in Ireland is hosted on 3's network. So, if there's a technical issue with 3, there'll likely be a technical issue with Virgin mobile too as it's relying on most of the same infrastructure.

I'd suspect it's coincidental rather than Coronavirus related.

Although you may have a BIG uptick in people running traffic on networks during the day now with work-from home and bored at home and on netflix etc..

Mobile networks going dark nationwide is something which happens very rarely. If two of them are indeed down at the same time it is very unlikely to be a coincidence.

Now it doesn’t mean it is a conspiracy either: it could just be that everyone is panicking a bit this afternoon and using their phones at the same time like never before, and that both networks went down as design issues didn’t let them handle that surge in usage which never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

laugh wrote: »
    Had a delivery from Tesco Carlow earlier, shop had to be shut because was too packed and people were leaving with Trolleys of groceries not paid for.

We are horrible mé féiner ***** in this country deep down. Like there’s some lad at home now feeling delighted that he has 500 bottles of hand sanitiser and there’s some old people without a drop of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

expect him to be taken out like the Iranian general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Quick question:
    Is it normal for the CAC40 and Frankfurt DAX to drop 12% during an afternoons trading?
    FTSE is dancing around a 10% currently (it's 9.9%).

The US opens with 8% on the negative side.

Only good news is that oil will soon be cheaper than Carlsberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

What about the north. Is there a confirmed case in Enniskillen or not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

I'm not. My children's school sent out a text saying schools closed from tomorrow. Why the fúck cant they just simply say 'school will close today at 3pm/4pm and will not reopen until 29th March. Then there is no ambiguity. I now have no idea if my kids school is open or closed tomorrow.

Look, don't worry, I understand your confusion with the language used.

Okay, so your children's school is DEFINITELY CLOSED FROM TODAY AT 6pm.

There will be no school tomorrow. None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

XbS6peR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

fritzelly wrote: »

Fritzelly I know your stocked up.... so why in Lidl ... hmmm

Only messing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They literally shut down vast portions of the country not 5 hours ago.

But they still leave flights from Northern Italy open with no checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

2 more dead in UK, 10 total now

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

My God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Nal wrote: »
    Everything about that video is sickening. The fact its in portrait mode, the horizontal filming, everything.

Blame youtube app

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We are horrible mé féiner ***** in this country deep down. Like there’s some lad at home now feeling delighted that he has 500 bottles of hand sanitiser and there’s some old people without a drop of it.

True, it brings out the worst in people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think the European CDC made the call for our government. They've essentially told every EU to go full Italy.

Maybe the Brits now that they're OUT are using this as their show of freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,448 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Blame youtube app

the issue is starting filming in portrait and then deciding to go landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

So UCD is not actually closing. That is odd. Staff on twitter reporting they're to show up, business as usual to the offices also while lectures will move online.

https://twitter.com/katymilligan/status/1238140296967438337?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

s7qzpPP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Quick question:
    Is it normal for the CAC40 and Frankfurt DAX to drop 12% during an afternoons trading?

Eurostoxx had its biggest 1 day move ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Rumour from a ****ing idiot is that they are readying the guards and the army to impose a curfew in Limerick. I'm disregarding it as bollocks.

Super Valu delivery is 20 minutes late. Not especially hopeful for it appearing.
    Shopping arrived. Only a few substitutions. Guy said the shop is like xmas and they're doing extra deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Keep the head up man.

Italy will bounce back from this not a bother.

I'm so sorry that this year I and my wife won't be able to visit your amazing country again (unless something miracolous happens). It would have been our 22nd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Quick question:

It certainly is *extremely* rare.

Now if you question is to know whether they have circuit breakers to prevent sharp drops, I think they do have some but I am not sure how they get triggered and I can’t find the details. In any case if the do it doesn’t seem to be as aggressive as the ones on American stock exchanges . In the US they have been triggered a few times in the past 2 weeks (including today) and prevented such massive drops.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a few big jumps in cases (and deaths) in Europe today.

Additional cases (so far) today:

Spain +782
    Germany +536
    Switzerland +215
    Sweden +167
    UK +130
    Austria +115
    Netherlands +111
    Denmark +101
    Norway +92
    Belgium +85

Italy and France yet to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

https://twitter.com/gabstargardter/status/1238118508166348800?s=20

If he doesn't catch the virus I'm calling shenanigans!

He's been vaccinated. The rest of the world will be given access to the vaccine after the man made virus has done it's job and Americas $1.11 trillion debt to China has been written down and the Iranian government wiped out.....only (half) joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The drama queens have Aldi emptied.
    Let sheep follow sheep.didnt take long.idiots.
    They’ll be dumping that same pasta in a months time or using it to fatten crows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Please stop spamming your petition. Your forum access may be removed if you keep posting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement