Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Cross-border challenge
    Public health expert Dr Gabriel Scally said the coronavirus “will not recognise the border”

We’re dealing with a Republican virus...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Renjit wrote: »
    thats because the death in most cases is a result cytokine storm due to hyper inflammation. your immune system itself causes the damage to organs.

these rheumatoid drugs may work as anti-inflammatory or suppressing the hyper immune response.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

the idiocracy rules why the hesitation for announcing any lock downs, seems quite few would love to skim for few weeks alright.

why let schools go when it seem kids are least vunerable.

whats the point of any lockdowns if eventually would take single person to get infected and spread it again.

are people that **** crazy to fear something that's just a bit higher then flu in extreme cases where people have health issues. as it aint ebola where you bleed and $hit non stop trough every hole in your body once it gets into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm glad of this thread, will know who to add to my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Source?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-records-first-death-in-patient-with-covid-19-1.4199223
    Ireland has recorded its first death from coronavirus.

The patient died earlier on Wednesday in a hospital in the east of the country, where they were been treated in recent days.

It is understood the patient initally presented with respiratory symptoms and was later diagnosed with the disease when staff decided to perform a test.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

scamalert wrote: »
    the idiocracy rules why the hesitation for announcing any lock downs, seems quite few would love to skim for few weeks alright.

why let schools go when it seem kids are least vunerable.

whats the point of any lockdowns if eventually would take single person to get infected and spread it again.

are people that **** crazy to fear something that's just a bit higher then flu in extreme cases where people have health issues. as it aint ebola where you bleed and $hit non shot trough every hole in your body once it gets into you.

Is that your technical analysis of this virus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

petes wrote: »

Im seriously thinking of unfollowing the whole thread, as its a bit of a doomsday distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Can you imagine the Garda trying to enforce a lockdown.

YES.

And the army.

And for those who say "we can't do that, this is Ireland", no-one cares.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

are people that **** crazy to fear something that's just a bit higher then flu in extreme cases where people have health issues. as it aint ebola where you bleed and $hit non shot trough every hole in your body once it gets into you.

Ok thread 6 and to repeat, it is not catching it for the majority that is the issue, it is that the larger numbers of infected people the higher the numbers are that need hospitalisation. This in turn puts huge strain on the hospital infrastructure and staff. Which means while you might get a mild dose of Covid, if you have a heart attack, are in a car crash, need cancer surgery etc. none of these things can happen because you cannot get into the hospital.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    18 people currently in isolation in the Clayton hotel today for corona virus! 2 people air lifted to hospital last night. The Media aren’t reporting on it either? This **** is getting a little too close for comfort!!! #ClaytonHotel #CoronaVirus
    Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Clonshaugh , off n32 beside Supermacs
    If you have a reliable source, drop me a PM with the details. In the meantime do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Iran +1,000 cases and 63 deaths in 24hrs.

Also assuming the wash their actual numbers down a bit, they're defo doing something wrong.

They also had a lot of deaths after people tried a supposed cure.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/03/10/44-dead-iran-drinking-toxic-alcohol-fake-coronavirus-cure/5009761002/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

petes wrote: »

Likewise.
    When the sh€& properly hits the fan in the future for whatever reasons, We will know who to call for help and which cowards will run for the hills with 20 packs of bog roll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

pc7 wrote: »
    Ok thread 6 and to repeat, it is not catching it for the majority that is the issue, it is that the larger numbers of infected people the higher the numbers are that need hospitalisation. This in turn puts huge strain on the hospital infrastructure and staff. Which means while you might get a mild dose of Covid, if you have a heart attack, are in a car crash, need cancer surgery etc. none of these things can happen because you cannot get into the hospital.
    fair enough but lock down solves 0, lose kids people with tons of time, lost money for everyone, and cant continue for more then couple weeks, and if it drops a bit or stops takes single plane or group of people for it to rinse and repeat :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

RIP to that person who was the first death. :(:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

YES.

And the army.

And for those who say "we can't do that, this is Ireland", no-one cares.

I think you vastly overestimate the capability of our army.

What do you mean when you say 'lockdown' - do you mean people confined to their houses or their village/town or roadblocks around major urban areas? What?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

are people that **** crazy to fear something that's just a bit higher then flu in extreme cases where people have health issues. as it aint ebola where you bleed and $hit non stop trough every hole in your body once it gets into you.

No, it's something that has the potential to reduce your lungs to a mass of scar tissue, give you a severe, severe heart condition, and f*ck up your kidneys for life, if you're "lucky" enough to come through the other end. Be grand.

With all the reports from around the world, are people going around with a blindfold and their fingers stuck in their ears going "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I wasn't even aware that any of our cases were critical

are they giving out this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

UK now 456 :eek:

We're currently on 34. Our new revised figure should land later on, @about 6pm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

thehedge wrote: »
    That's just the number of people who we know have the virus, there is a known unknown of how many people who haven't been tested have the virus.

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

vsZV0Ni.png?1

https://imgur.com/vsZV0Ni

Day 1 is when each of these countries past 50 cases. USA is 8 days into the graph, the pink line.

A simple exponential shows that in 7 days the US will have nearly 10,000 cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Its going to be massive either way.

Had Harris and the government shut down Italian flights 2 or 3 weeks ago, banned travellers coming to rugby matches that didn't exist, enforced isolation for anyone returning from Italy, advised employers to do the same, we'd be looking at miniscule numbers now. Daily life and the economy could have continued as normal.

Instead they failed to implement those early measures and now we have to move to the "nuclear" lockdown phase because the numbers will be too many, the contact tracing impossible and the isolation inadequate.

They procrastinate and delay at every stage.

The virus is all over the world now though.

So 2 or 3 weeks ago we shut down flights from Italy, OK.

At this stage we'd be looking at shutting down all flights from anywhere in the world because the virus is everywhere.

We can delay and delay and delay but eventually we would be overwhelmed anyway.

It isn't going to eradicated so the goal would surely be to manage the timing of the "peak" numbers of infections to coincide with spring and summer months so that we don't hit a peak in the winter season when health services are already under strain.

If we followed the advice of many on here we'd be 3 weeks into an complete shutdown, with no end in sight, knowing that basically the entire world is infected and the second we open things back up we are right back to 34 cases and rising.

Every part of Europe is infected now and the numbers grow every day.
    People are still acting like this can be stopped.
    As if we can just shutdown the entire island and wait it out and that won't also lead to massive problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Must have been the lad who was moved up from Cork.

RIP to him.

There was also a female patient in the East who was described as very ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fair enough but lock down solves 0, lose kids people with tons of time, lost money for everyone, and cant continue for more then couple weeks, and if it drops a bit or stops takes single plane or group of people for it to rinse and repeat :cool:

Delaying it spreads out the infection rate so the health service can better cope.

Must say I don't understand most of your post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

UK now 456 :eek:

We're currently on 34. Our new revised figure should land later on, @about 6pm....

I really think there will be a spike from the "fall out" from Cheltenham :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

22% increase in cases in the UK today. Up from a 17% increase yesterday.

We had been closely tracking the UK's percentage increases until yesterday, when we had a 41% increase. Hopefully it will be less than that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A question probably not the best place to ask but anyway , I work part time 12 hours and i got disability allowance on top of that , with my condition I'm probably going to have to stay home from work pretty soon , and I won't be getting paid unless I take holiday pay , is there any thing I can get from the government or similar that can supplement the 120 euro I'm going to be missing out on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

5 tourists in Hong Kong positive after touring Egypt.( At least 30 cases now of tourists in Egypt contracting the virus)

3 new cases in Brunei after the patients visited Malaysia, 2 other new cases in the country of unknown origin and patients had no travel history.

First deaths in Indonesia, Panama, Belgium, Albania & India (Indian case is presumptive positive , not confirmed)

State of emergency declared in Hungary

Today was the largest rise in cases in the UK(73 new cases) and daily testing will now increase from 1500 to 8500.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    The virus is all over the world now though.

So 2 or 3 weeks ago we shut down flights from Italy, OK.

At this stage we'd be looking at shutting down all flights from anywhere in the world because the virus is everywhere.

We can delay and delay and delay but eventually we would be overwhelmed anyway.

It isn't going to eradicated so the goal would surely be to manage the timing of the "peak" numbers of infections to coincide with spring and summer months so that we don't hit a peak in the winter season when health services are already under strain.

If we followed the advice of many on here we'd be 3 weeks into an complete shutdown, with no end in sight, knowing that basically the entire world is infected and the second we open things back up we are right back to 34 cases and rising.

Every part of Europe is infected now and the numbers grow every day.
    People are still acting like this can be stopped.
    As if we can just shutdown the entire island and wait it out and that won't also lead to massive problems.

They never needed to cancel any flights; they only ever needed to implement a quarantine. Which they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

ITman88 wrote: »
    There is very little balance in these posts, Whatever the agendas and motivation on here it’s not for the greater good. I’m not sure do people just want to skive from work.
    Bottom line is out and about people are worried but no one I’ve spoken to at work (engineering based) will entertain the idea of a lockdown. They all have bills to pay and realise the economy is also vulnerable to an overreaction.
    Anyone I’ve spoken to believe the precautionary advice re hand washing and large crowds are sufficient and realistically all we can do short of breaking down society to cave man times.

Alot of history and innovation happened between "caveman" times and now.

Its not a total lockdown! The Unabombers vision wont come to pass yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement