Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wadacrack wrote: »
    Boris Johnson " Many will die but we do not want to see a huge economic hit to this country"

Don't worry, the virus seems to feast on incompetent bumbling politicians around the world. BoJo may be out of action soon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

This is to me an amazing little side story just unfolding, Unionist and Loyalist commentators saying basically **** what downing street is saying, we are all one island and need to act in unison about school closures etc,

Other unionists disagreed. “Since coronavirus doesn’t give a damn about borders or identities it makes sense for NI to follow immediately,” tweeted Alex Kane, a unionist commentator.

Jamie Bryson, a loyalist blogger, said Northern Ireland had to recognise it shared an open land border with Ireland. “Regardless of the rights or wrongs of that open border, it is a reality. We face a health crisis that could result in deaths of many people. It is sensible to coordinate the approach between both jurisdictions.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just Eat / Dominos etc... gonna do very well out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Longing

My Goodness. That is shocking in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Shocking numbers coming out of Italy.... absolutely shocking.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

How are they allowed to be open tomorrow? I thought schools and colleges were to shut from 6pm tonight unconditionally. Theres an email circulating around dundalk institute of technology too that they are closed to students but open as a workplace. Are there levels of closure allowed that we dont know about from the dept of education?
    The libraries at DCU are also open tomorrow.
    The University libraries (O’Reilly and Cregan) will close at 5pm tomorrow, Friday March 13th. This is to provide students with an opportunity to access materials and take books out on loan etc. Extended loan periods will be provided by DCU Library Services

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Bob24 wrote: »
    Any idea if they have circuit breakers on European stock exchanges? It seems to be what has prevented double digits drops in a single day on the American ones.

I not sure about breaker's , but interestingly ECB won't be dropping interest rates, the EU has enough stimulus to ride out the storm.
    They will introduce stimulus when each EU state flattens there curve.
    Makes sense really stimulate the European economy when the worst had passed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Total deaths in Italy now stands at 1,016. Give it a week and it may surpass China!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

"Don't call if you arent that bad, but if you are feeling really bad call 111" How can really sick people who are out of breath able to call anyone?

I don't know about anyone else but I am much happier with Ireland's approach. Unfortunately though, we have the UK on our border...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

tuxy wrote: »
    The Uk wants a large number of people to get it over a long period of time so there is a large portion of the population that is immune to it in the future.

I thought you do not become immune to this virus after getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Dominos wont deliver to me since all the shootings a while back...

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

glasso wrote: »
    this is possibly one of the most disturbing articles that I've read in a long while

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

under 60's with no health conditions only getting the ventilators in Italy. if it gets worse, they will lower the age.

others are just being basically told to go die

Italy has the 2nd best health care system in the world

how many ventilators are in Ireland?

3,000 in Italy

Jesus, this is all very surreal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shocking, but not surprising.

When you have Leo saying half the people in Ireland will get it, you can say that the same in Italy will be 23m odd. That means the numbers will double and double quickly. Those numbers are only going to get bigger each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I’m home now and I’ve the dressing gown on. And I tell ye tisn’t coming off til this is all over

In hope that the foul smell of the unwashed gown will keep people away?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

1016 deaths 1258 recovered

Am I completly off or is 44% of closed cases deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Just Eat / Dominos etc... gonna do very well out of this.

Be careful, your food prep workers and delivery drivers probably can't afford to be off work. Not saying don't eat it (cooked food should be fine) but do wipe down the stuff you get it in / wash your hands before eating the grub itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Shocking numbers does anybody still think it is just a flu?

You sound like a Broken Record

UK seems more worried about the economy rather than people's health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

murpho999 wrote: »

Where did you get that info? The so called reinfections are most likely false negatives on the testing.
    If you're immune system is working it should be replicate antibodies very fast if the virus is ever detected again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1016 deaths 1258 recovered

Am I completly off or is 44% of closed cases deaths?

That's correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

UK clearly saying closing school would be a massive mistake, it would put the elderly at a far far higher risk.

We've done the opposite....

UK and US are going to be in the shiiit with Boris and Trump in charge. Our border with NI is a significant risk factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Heard on the grape-vine all online deliveries will be cancelled from tomorrow.

Please tell me this is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It's such a new virus. It's something I would like to learn more of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Those numbers are just horrific in Italy. I know the advice is unless it's ensential travel to affected areas of Italy, but I'd be saying just avoid Italy full stop for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Italy responded much quicker than the UK.

Incredible what they are doing. Seems to be they think people wont stick to lockdown's for long so waiting until it is very bad before they do that.

Every chance they'll be even worse than Italy in a months time.

UK seems more worried about the economy rather than people's health.

They possibly have not copped (yet) that lots of people dying, even old/retired people, does nothing for any economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

We need to get on top of our borders here. The UK are going to go to $hit very soon. These lads are all head bangers.

No it won’t. There are predictions that the uk are 3 weeks behind Italy. They will get the same number of cases but spread out as they will take action to ‘flatten the curve’ and delay the impact on the health services. The horse has bolted already they are just mitigating the effect now. The Irish health system is far more fragile and the population smaller.

• Advertisement

Heard on the grape-vine all online deliveries will be cancelled from tomorrow.

Why would that happen?

On line delivery is safer than people being in supermarkets like today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement