Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭jackboy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    UK and US are going to be in the shiiit with Boris and Trump in charge. Or border with NI is a significant risk factor.

Most countries in Europe have not done better than US or UK. Don’t assume these too late lock downs will be effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's such a new virus. It's something I would like to learn more of.

So would many top scientists.
    There is nothing to show that this virus is much different from many others viruses we know about.
    The problem is that it is fairly contagious and almost no one in the whole world has immunity to it because it's new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thought you do not become immune to this virus after getting it?

Don't know but I saw that there was some immunity for a certain period but might not last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

MD1990 wrote: »
    Italy responded much quicker than the UK.

Incredible what they are doing. Seems to be they think people wont stick to lockdown's for long so waiting until it is very bad before they do that.

Every chance they'll be even worse than Italy in a months time.

That’s not true, they aren’t at the stage that Italy are at. Italy did nothing. U.k are doing things and will act further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Weak response from UK government...seem to be talking a lot more about moving between different phases of their approach than actually changing their approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

FFS I'm happier to be living in Ireland listening to Boris Johnson at the moment. Very unspecific actions there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

jackboy wrote: »
    Most countries in Europe have not done better than US or UK. Don’t assume these too late lock downs will be effective.

The US trajectory of new cases is steeper than Italy at the same timeframe. UK is virtually the same. It's looks like they are doing better because Italy is about 2 weeks ahead. They are heading in the same if not worse trajectories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

UK speculates that 10k people might have the virus there

That would 'suggest' a number of about 750 in Ireland (which would include very mild cases being mistaken for ordinary flu)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Can we ban the phrases, the horse has bolted and do people still think it's a flu please. They should be immediately banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

niallo27 wrote: »
    Can we ban the phrases, the horse has bolted and do people still think it's a flu please. They should be immediately banned.

Can we ban people that add nothing to the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,774 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This was Tweeted by somebody from my town.
    I was in Tesco at the same time at him.
    The carpark wasn't packed. The shop was busier than normal but there wasn't any really queues and not all the checkouts were even open and they could cope.
    Now it might be worse now.

Just back from #Tesco. It is borderline pandemonium there!! Imagine the customer numbers of a Christmas eve, mixed with the toxicity of black friday and the panic of extreme weather warnings. A mix of good natured humour and negative desperation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not sure if this will help with mild symptoms but apparently a saltpipe inhaler helps the respiratory system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

At least they are true.

Boris speech for those who missed it...they're in the delay phase...

"The true number of cases is higher, perhaps much higher than we've so far confirmed with tests.

This is the worst public health crisis for a generation. Some people compared it to seasonal flu alas that is not right.... This disease is more dangerous and it's going to spread further. I've got to level with you... Many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time.

We have a clear plan that we are now working through and we are now getting onto the next phase in that plan because this is now not just an attempt to contain the disease as far as possible but to delay it spread and thereby minimise the suffering. If we delay the peak by even a few weeks then our NHS will be in a stronger state as the weather improves and fewer people suffer from normal respiratory diseases, more beds are vailable and more time for medical research. We can also act to stretch the peak of the disease over a longer period so that our society is better able to cope.

The most important task will be to protect the elderly and most vulnerable people during the peak weeks when there is the maximum risk of exposure to the disease and when the NHS will be under most pressure. So the most dangerous period is not now but some weeks away depending on how fast it spreads.

From tomorrow if you have Corona virus symptoms however mild either a new continuous cough or a high temperature then you should stay at home for at least 7 days to protect others and help slow the spread of the disease. We advise all those over 70 with serious medical conditions against going on cruises and we advise against international school trips...

If somebody in a household has symptoms we will be asking everybody in that household to stay at home.

Not now... Down the line... We are considering the question of banning major public events such as sporting fixtures and scientific advice is running such an event will have little effect on the spread but there is the issue of the burden that such events can have on the public services. So we're discussing these issues ... and we'll have more to say shortly about the timing of further action..

We are not, repeat not, closing schools now. The scientific advice is that this could do more harm than good. We are keeping this under review.

....Disruption for many months but this will help us slow the disease and save lives...

I urge people with symptoms not to call 111 but to use the internet for information if they can.

This disease is particularly dangerous to older people even though the vast majority will experience mild to moderate illness... We need to mobilize millions of people to help and support each other. The government will do everything we can to help you and families during this time.

Continue to provide.. as soon as we have it as much clear scientific and medical information as we can.

It is still vital perhaps more vital than ever that we remember to wash our hands and lastly of course even if things seem tough now just remember that we will get through this. This country will get through this epidemic just as it has got through many tough experiences before, IF we look out for each other and commit wholeheartedly to a full national effort."

Kinda a bunch of nothing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That UK press conference was mad.
    They are basically doing nothing.
    No schools closed, event etc work away.

Imagine how ape people would be going at Leo if he was in same boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

wakka12 wrote: »
    Jesus, this is all very surreal

Surreal is exactly the word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭jackboy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The US trajectory of new cases is steeper than Italy at the same timeframe. UK is virtually the same. It's looks like they are doing better because Italy is about 2 weeks ahead. They are heading in the same if not worse trajectories.

They are and we probably are too although at a slower rate. The half arse lockdown is unlikely to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Johnson gets a tough question and totally ignores it, then passes the question. ****ing hell.

Look, people saying the US and UK might get it right with their approach. Lets look at the one thing we know so far.

There has been no special cases in terms of countries stopping this or slowing it down WITHOUT total lockdown, why the hell would the US and UK be any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Can we ban people that add nothing to the discussion.

Was nothing against you personally just it's about 7 thousand time it's been said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This was Tweeted by somebody from my town.
    I was in Tesco at the same time at him.
    The carpark wasn't packed. The shop was busier than normal but there wasn't any really queues and not all the checkouts were even open and they could cope.
    Now it might be worse now.

Just back from #Tesco. It is borderline pandemonium there!! Imagine the customer numbers of a Christmas eve, mixed with the toxicity of black friday and the panic of extreme weather warnings. A mix of good natured humour and negative desperation.

People are being daft of course. The Govt will have no difficulty keeping supply chains open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Strazdas wrote: »
    UK speculates that 10k people might have the virus there

That would 'suggest' a number of about 750 in Ireland (which would include very mild cases being mistaken for ordinary flu)

Hard to compare really but I'd say you're not far off .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not gonna happen, that horse has bolted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

tuxy wrote: »
    Where did you get that info? The so called reinfections are most likely false negatives on the testing.
    If you're immune system is working it should be replicate antibodies very fast if the virus is ever detected again.

There was at least one "expert" that stated you can be infected after recovery.

I heard it on a radio station so don't have a link and I can't recall how it was determined.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maybe travel to/from the UK needs to be banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

murpho999 wrote: »
    UK seems more worried about the economy rather than people's health.

I'm not sure.
    There's a huge amount of thought behind people's behavior and timing in their approach.
    Pull the trigger too early, and effectiveness of certain measures will be useless and even counter productive.

They've clearly accepted this is coming, and its all about lessening the peak.
    They may have it right and we may have it wrong.
    Time, unfortunately, will tell all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The government is actively asking people to socially distance. If we don't and we carry on like the Italians did, they'll eventually just have to order us to shut in. People really need to cop on to how serious this is now.

How at the same time is England being told shutting schools and sports events won't make a difference ?

I don't get how there is just a strak difference ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Italy: +2,651 cases/+189 deaths.

Fup me! :eek:

Bear in mind that it could take a week or more for the effects of the lockdown to translate into a levelling-off in new case detections, so we won't know for a few days if what Italy has done is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

jackboy wrote: »

North America was helped by geography at first. We haven’t made best use of the extra time we were given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I think there needs to be flyers or something official sent out warning of the dangers. My mother who's mid 70's came home yesterday with a cold after attending mass and she's off into town again today. I told her at least 10 times to stay at home for the next few weeks but she doesn't seem to be getting the message at all.

I think the cases are grossly under reported, maybe 3 or 4x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement