Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Also news reports from Ireland now of supermarkets pleading for people to stop stockpiling.

Reports by who? Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Get ready for what exactly? Italians and Chinese are still allowed to go shopping, including for, you guessed it, toilet paper.

For 80% of people this will be relatively mild. For something like 90% of working age people it will be an inconvenience at best.

Factories including toilet paper ones will continue as normal.

There is no need to panic buy.

This is not the end of the world.

Fine, don’t “Wake up” - your choice, lol. Have fun in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

peddlelies wrote: »
    I think there needs to be flyers or something official sent out warning of the dangers. My mother who's mid 70's came home yesterday with a cold after attending mass and she's off into town again today. I told her at least 10 times to stay at home for the next few weeks but she doesn't seem to be getting the message at all.

I think the cases are grossly under reported, maybe 3 or 4x
    People roaming about touching leaflets and putting them through your door ....would not help....

I am sorry but lack of coverage isn't really an excuse to not know what is going on.....it has been wall to wall everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

This could devastate Iran. Its unlikely they have the testing, isolation or medical facilities of the West.

Most people in Iran are young. This may turn out to be a highly unpleasant experience for geezers like me but nations will carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The UK are saying they are making decisions based on medical and expert advice. There is a logic to what they are saying and what they are doing. That’s not to say I necessarily agree with it but Boris Johnson is better informed on the subject than me or you.

It’s impossible for most of us here to make an informed judgement because we aren’t experts. History will judge whether the UK has done a good job on this.

Seems like they are OK with a lot of people dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The UK are saying they are making decisions based on medical and expert advice. There is a logic to what they are saying and what they are doing. That’s not to say I necessarily agree with it but Boris Johnson is better informed on the subject than me or you.

It’s impossible for most of us here to make an informed judgement because we aren’t experts. History will judge whether the UK has done a good job on this.

Agreed. I am skeptical of their approach but Boris is been advised by the finest medical minds of the UK. I wouldn't dare say I'd know more than these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

You're right and I'd rather nothing more than being wrong on this point, but that press conferences felt like one to just play down fears and to protect their economy, while accepting there will be huge losses.

I'd take the Irish approach all day tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course it does as the millions who remained are not spreading it further. China is the place to look at and how their lock down is now working.

Is it really though? Hard to trust any 'reports' coming out of that country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Scarinae wrote: »
    Ice hockey has just been suspended in North America as well

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1238156904473530368?s=20

First NBA, now this, I wouldn't be surprised if NFL is next.

NFL doesn’t start for another few months,August or ?September I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Seems like they are OK with a lot of people dying.

Boris didn't flee his post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Graham wrote: »
    Reports by who? Where?

Journal.ie

'No need for panic buying': Supermarkets warn consumers following 'high demand' over coronavirus

Today’s news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My local library has been closed until the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

otnomart wrote: »
    I don't think so.
    Lockdown does work,

we just don't see the effects overnight

I have anecdotal evidence from friends in Northern Italy that in the small town they're in (Romano), it seems to be widespread. Many of them believe they've had or have it now.
    A number of deaths in the town already, including one of their parents.

I think the lockdown will work, but I fear Italy are quite a bit further into this than China were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

New Home wrote: »
    Italy: Of the total people dead, 98% were over 68 years of age (so much for this being something that affects mostly old people), and 67% had pre-existing conditions (so much for this being something that affects mostly frail people).

This all seems to back up the bolded (emphasis mine) assertions. The preexisting conditions percentage is lower but combined with the 68+ figures, it seems to be about right. Immune systems become less effective with every passing decade.

I think BoJo strikes the right note, candid about the bad news but optimistic about our ability to manage this crisis. The worst thing you can do is play down the danger like Trump does. That deeply undermines confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Italian numbers worse again nearly 200 died and 2650 new cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Now consider this,

Italian hospitals are accepting only younger than 65 and with no per-existing life treatening health issues and only if they have critical symptoms
    Hospitals are full

Yes exactly - Italian figures are not an accurate representation of the distribution of fatalities across different groups in ideal conditions.

Since some groups have to be designated as not being eligible for care, these groups' death rates will be disproportionally high vs what would happen if hospitals could provide care to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The President of Brazil has tested positive for coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

gabeeg wrote: »
    I think the lockdown will work, but I fear Italy are quite a bit further into this than China were.

Agreed also i dunno if I read this right but has Italy a different strain of the virus ?

Someone might correct me if I’m wrong I have read so much now it’s getting a bit jumbled

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

The video is on FB. Its deffo the hotel in Clonshaugh as the camera zooms out and you can see the signs and the hotel. A girl called Deborah Lynch on facebook has it up if that helps.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

what?

What do you need me to clarify?

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), 98% were over 68 years of age (996 or thereabouts).

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), "only" 67% had pre-existing conditions (680 or thereabouts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Macron speaking today at 20.00
    Given that yesterday a French Gov spoke person said that the Italian (and therefore the Chinese) measures were non effective, it's anyone"s guess what he is about to announce.

Not border closures, as he is dead against it.

Either a Merkel style speech (60-70% of population will get this, keep calm and carry on) or my guess is that he will stop the intercity passenger circulation inside France: both TGV trains and flights.
    Meaning that people will still be able to get to work.
    Will found out in one hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Kunkka wrote: »
    Trying to just have a different opinion to the many people furious about the UK approach?

There is no such thing as a premature lockdown with this. There is just a lockdown until things settle over the course of a few months. See Wuhan where things are slowly getting better.

How can allowing mass public gathering and creating more cases help the UK in the long term? If anything it will cause the pressure on the NHS to be even greater and longer.

Let me ask you this.

If Italy could go back in time do you not think they'd have gone into lockdown sooner? I don't think they'd say "Na, we don't want to do it too early".

They are being advised by this group of experts, they don’t seem to be going against their advice. https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies-sage I heard a doctor say that the virus doesn’t survive that long outside.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

d51984 wrote: »
    The video is on FB. Its deffo the hotel in Clonshaugh as the camera zooms out and you can see the signs and the hotel. A girl called Deborah Lynch on facebook has it up if that helps.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2531783647149464&id=100009535609179

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Macron speaking today at 20.00
    Given that yesterday a French Gov spoke person said that the Italian (and therefore the Chinese) measures were non effective, it's anyone"s guess what he is about to announce.

Not border closures, as he is dead against it.

Either a Merkel style speech (60-70% of population will get this, keep calm and carry on) or my guess is that he will stop the intercity passenger circulation inside France: both TGV trains and flights.
    Meaning that people will still be able to get to work.
    Will found out in one hour or so.

"We surrender"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I don't think so.
    Lockdown does work,

we just don't see the effects overnight

I would fully expect that what's been done in Italy will reduce transmission. People are going to be coming into contact with far few others over the next while, and that has got to result in a reduction in new infections.

In Wuhan, a lot of people observing from afar didn't believe the lockdown would work because that kind of thing had never been done in living memory, and people outside China couldn't really see what was going on there.

If the figures keep rising in Italy over the next few days, at least we know now not to rush to judgement.

The real question to my mind is how to return to something looking like normal life while not allowing the infection rate to come right back up again.

One of the biggest problems will be to decide who gets the ventilators. Italian doctors are already having to make these stark choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

UK Economy must have been in the absolute gutter pre pandemic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get prepared now if it’s not too late already.

Christ on a bike :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

A second death in Ireland. RIP

'The man, who was in his 70s, was from Cork and had recently suffered from a serious illness.

Another man in his 50s, who the deceased was in recent contact with, is currently being monitored for the virus.'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement