Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Kunkka wrote: »
    You're right and I'd rather nothing more than being wrong on this point, but that press conferences felt like one to just play down fears and to protect their economy, while accepting there will be huge losses.

I'd take the Irish approach all day tbh.

That could be the motivation and these things are seldom black and white. They may tell themselves they are doing it for the right reasons but in reality they’re driven by an unconscious bias to protect the economy. I don’t believe anyone is willingly choosing to endanger public health for the sake of the economy. However, hindsight sometimes reveals motivation behind these decisions and if that’s what’s revealed here, history will judge Johnson and his government very, very harshly.

But I can’t read his mind/his ministers’ minds so I’ll take them at face value. I hope their approach works because this is a very, very dangerous and scary reality for a lot of people who are relying on the government getting this right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

cloudatlas wrote: »
    They are being advised by this group of experts, they don’t seem to be going against their advice. https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies-sage I heard a doctor say that the virus doesn’t survive that long outside.

Advised yes, but they then weigh it up against the impact on society and the economy. In this case, I really feel Boris has choosen protecting the economy over saving lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Seems like they are OK with a lot of people dying.

They've accepted a lot of people will die.
    Everyone has to at this stage but it's too hard for many to comprehend.

It's all down to how big that figure will be and giving the health system the best chance to try and help as many people as possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

New Home wrote: »
    What do you need me to clarify?

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), 98% were over 68 years of age (996 or thereabouts).

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), "only" 67% had pre-existing conditions (680 or thereabouts).

That supports the previous evidence that most fatalities are old and/or have comorbidities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Second death according to the independent, man in his 70s from cork. Wishing the family well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What do you need me to clarify?

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), 98% were over 68 years of age (996 or thereabouts).

Of of all the people that have died of Covid in Italy (1016), "only" 67% had pre-existing conditions (680 or thereabouts).

Because saying “so much for” makes it seem like what is claimed isn’t true when the figures you gave back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The President of Brazil has tested positive for coronavirus.

had dinner with trump on saturday

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

murpho999 wrote: »
    UK seems more worried about the economy rather than people's health.

Well they have the EU to fallb.... damn, just remembered that whole exit thingy there a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

5 positive tests in kinvara south galway according to the clare echo

It would be handy if you would provide a link.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Will the clampers be working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also news reports from Ireland now of supermarkets pleading for people to stop stockpiling. Total non-sense! People have every right to get prepared. And some comments on those articles are still suggesting these people are “ruining it for everyone”... ruining what? Your misguided sense of entitlement to normality in these circumstances. Wake up people if haven’t already! Get prepared now if it’s not too late already.
    The panic buying we witnessed today was a perfect illustration of mob idiocy in plain view. A mass gathering of panicked morons all milling together, completely oblivious to the fact that in their panic they have exposed themselves and others to whatever carriers of this virus are in the community. But they have their bog roll and that's fine. The fear of missing out and the herd mentality. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    Macron speaking today at 20.00
    Given that yesterday a French Gov spoke person said that the Italian (and therefore the Chinese) measures were non effective, it's anyone"s guess what he is about to announce.

Not border closures, as he is dead against it.

Either a Merkel style speech (60-70% of population will get this, keep calm and carry on) or my guess is that he will stop the intercity passenger circulation inside France: both TGV trains and flights.
    Meaning that people will still be able to get to work.
    Will found out in one hour or so.

Also there are local elections happening over the next 2 upcoming weekends.

Government has been adamant they won't be cancelled / postponed. I am 99% sure they will be cancelled.

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Agreed also i dunno if I read this right but has Italy a different strain of the virus ?

Someone might correct me if I’m wrong I have read so much now it’s getting a bit jumbled

Yeah they have the Vito Corleone strain. Takes out a lot more people.

No they have the same strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,605 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Now consider this,

Italian hospitals are accepting only younger than 65 and with no per-existing life treatening health issues and only if they have critical symptoms
    Hospitals are full

I know, I posted some articles about it before.
    Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Whats with the brackets??
    It is the elderly and a higher percentage of frail people!
    Im not being abrupt here but those are facts

The brackets are my comments, as opposed to the official data provided.

As for the age group, up to last week people were saying "It's fine, it only/mostly affects those over 80". Big difference between over 80s and over 68s. Same for people with pre-existing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I don’t get the no 100 people indoors in one place rule

There’s over a 100 people in the staff canteen in work are we not at risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

froog wrote: »

He did indeed, holy ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Graham wrote: »
    Reports by who? Where?

Also a TV report here:

https://twitter.com/virginmedianews/status/1238160325993693186?s=21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    UK in the Economy must have been in the absolute gutter pre pandemic.

Not at all. The government recently raised the minimum wage by 4 times the rate of inflation. Ireland though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Because saying “so much for” makes it seem like what is claimed isn’t true when the figures you gave back it up.

Ah, I get you now, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Strange. On Dublin bus home and we got on the side door.
    Near the front door the drive wrapped blue tissues around the bars blocking the walk way by him. Me and others didn't have to pay.

When the bus got to quays to change driver the other drive torn the blue tissues down and everyone else who got on paid.

Strange.
    Drive chose not to be near anytime or anything? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭RoryMac

biggebruv wrote: »
    I don’t get the no 100 people indoors in one place rule

There’s over a 100 people in the staff canteen in work are we not at risk?

Yes, they specifically said breaks should be staggered to avoid this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

London stock exchange absolutely tanked today. UK government response is not instilling much confidence. Worst day since Black Monday in 1987. Worse than the 2008 financial crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe travel to/from the UK needs to be banned!

Is that even possible with our open border.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As for the age group, up to last week people were saying "It's fine, it only/mostly affects those over 80". Big difference between over 80s and over 68s. Same for people with pre-existing conditions.

It said 98% of deaths were over age 68. It didn't say 98% of deaths were 68...

Most of that 98% are still over 80, as previously reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

This virus is a Nazi.

Destroy the weak in society, the sick, the old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

....i just wonder is there something the officials (esp WHO) are holding back from us?.....is it more serious than what they are publicly saying??

will it cause long term complications to our health?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Kunkka wrote: »
    Advised yes, but they then weigh it up against the impact on society and the economy. In this case, I really feel Boris has choosen protecting the economy over saving lives.

I don't believe that, the academics on the committee would speak to the press, some of these people are at institutions who have not closed and if they are advising COBRA then you can be certain that they are also advising their institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Strange. On Dublin bus home and we got on the side door.
    Near the front door the drive wrapped blue tissues around the bars blocking the walk way by him. Me and others didn't have to pay.

When the bus got to quays to change driver the other drive torn the blue tissues down and everyone else who got on paid.

Strange.
    Drive chose not to be near anytime or anything? :pac:

Might have a medical condition, might be immune compromised, might have a family member who is immune compromised. Lots of good reasons why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

froog wrote: »

Group picture of who was at the table.

ESnTvgNWsAAbWJl?format=jpg&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement