Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Spook_ie wrote: »

what's the age of the patient? this could be worrying for people over 60 age from the trend seen so far. our priority should be to slow down the spread, flatten the curve so that medical infrastructure and resources are not overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Very sad for that persons family, who are no doubt in self isolation too. This will rob us of so much, even the chance to say goodbye. For god sake, think of others, wash your hands, cover your coughs and thank your lucky stars you’re not in the high risk groups like some of us.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

scamalert wrote: »
    fair enough but lock down solves 0, lose kids people with tons of time, lost money for everyone, and cant continue for more then couple weeks, and if it drops a bit or stops takes single plane or group of people for it to rinse and repeat :cool:

Lockdown solves lots, look at Wuhan, China, South Korea, Sinagpore, these areas/countries took hard and swift action and its working. Look at the charts from these areas it does work, by slowing it there is then time for finding medicines that help and not overwhelming staff/hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Renjit wrote: »
    what's the age of the patient? this could be worrying for people over 60 age from the trend seen so far. our priority should be to slow down the spread, flatten the curve so that medical infrastructure and resources are not overwhelmed.

States they were elderly in the article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

A question probably not the best place to ask but anyway , I work part time 12 hours and i got disability allowance on top of that , with my condition I'm probably going to have to stay home from work pretty soon , and I won't be getting paid unless I take holiday pay , is there any thing I can get from the government or similar that can supplement the 120 euro I'm going to be missing out on ?

Maybe this?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

A question probably not the best place to ask but anyway , I work part time 12 hours and i got disability allowance on top of that , with my condition I'm probably going to have to stay home from work pretty soon , and I won't be getting paid unless I take holiday pay , is there any thing I can get from the government or similar that can supplement the 120 euro I'm going to be missing out on ?

Sorry to hear that, it might get lost in this thread, there is a benefits section on boards that you might get an answer from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Renjit wrote: »

Just says "Elderly"
    What do we term as elderly?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Alot of history and innovation happened between "caveman" times and now.

Its not a total lockdown! Thd Unabombers vision wont come to pass yet.

If it’s not a total lockdown what exactly is it that’s being proposed on this thread?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

flynnlives wrote: »
    vsZV0Ni.png?1

https://imgur.com/vsZV0Ni

Day 1 is when each of these countries past 50 cases. USA is 8 days into the graph, the pink line.

A simple exponential shows that in 7 days the US will have nearly 10,000 cases.

But it won't always be simple; the Seattle cases are centered in a home and there is also a cruise ship where everyone has been quarantined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yeah that’s your opinion. It still makes more sense not to have a total lockdown, but people who are vulnerable to self isolate.
    It makes more sense to isolate the minority than the majority.
    It’s a win win situation, the economy survive and serves to protect the vulnerable, while those who aren’t at as much risk can continue to work while a vaccine is tested

What eejits in Italy and China they didn't think of that....

Oh wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Doubt it's the Cork patient, wrong age profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Number of posts here are lessening. Corona virus fatigue before it's even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Spook_ie wrote: »

Very sad to hear. I hope this can help to concentrate minds on what lies ahead so we aren't seeing stories like this on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

If someone has high blood pressure and is taking medication for it but is otherwise in good health, are they still high risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The women being treated in Dublin has died.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Number of posts here are lessening. Corona virus fatigue before it's even started.

Theres no signal down in the bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    OK. So when would you have put the country into "lockdown" and for how long?

How long can any kind of lockdown be sustained before it begins to cause massive problems in itself?

What happens when the lockdown is lifted?

No doubt the country will eventually get to this "lockdown" stage but for now it's not necessary and if it's done too soon it could do more harm than good.

If the whole of Europe goes into lockdown right now we would be virus free in two weeks.

If Europe had refused to accept anybody traveling from China from 18th January to February 1st Europe would probably be virus free currently and the c.700 people who are dead would still be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thehedge

dinorebel wrote: »
    There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
    Always nice to see that Rumsfeld is remembered, I suppose he is now the good Donald

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Steve F wrote: »
    I really think there will be a spike from the "fall out" from Cheltenham :(

I'm guessing we'll be round the 40 mark today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I imagine if on lockdown we could take the car and go for a spin ? We often park at the sea and read a book or just watch the waves . Would that be banned I wonder ?

The problem might be getting petrol so fill up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Ipso wrote: »
    But it won't always be simple; the Seattle cases are centered in a home and there is also a cruise ship where everyone has been quarantined.

Yes, im aware of that.

However the US is a vast country and quarantine measures wont be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Steve F wrote: »
    Just says "Elderly"
    What do we term as elderly?

Currently over 65 in Italy. If you need hospitalisation don't bother they are prioritising younger patients.

Odd, isn't it when this virus only targets the elderly? (Sarcasm)
    Who's filling the beds in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

pc7 wrote: »
    Lockdown solves lots, look at Wuhan, China, South Korea, Sinagpore, these areas/countries took hard and swift action and its working. Look at the charts from these areas it does work, by slowing it there is then time for finding medicines that help and not overwhelming staff/hospitals.

It does work. No doubt about it.

But what happens when they return to normal?

Will the virus start up again? Back to square 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

If the whole of Europe goes into lockdown right now we would be virus free in two weeks.

Source of this??
    What does lockdown mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    The virus is all over the world now though.

So 2 or 3 weeks ago we shut down flights from Italy, OK.

At this stage we'd be looking at shutting down all flights from anywhere in the world because the virus is everywhere.

We can delay and delay and delay but eventually we would be overwhelmed anyway.

It isn't going to eradicated so the goal would surely be to manage the timing of the "peak" numbers of infections to coincide with spring and summer months so that we don't hit a peak in the winter season when health services are already under strain.

If we followed the advice of many on here we'd be 3 weeks into an complete shutdown, with no end in sight, knowing that basically the entire world is infected and the second we open things back up we are right back to 34 cases and rising.

Every part of Europe is infected now and the numbers grow every day.
    People are still acting like this can be stopped.
    As if we can just shutdown the entire island and wait it out and that won't also lead to massive problems.

I’m sorry but this is innacurate. Most people have been callin for gradual common sense action to be taken. At this stage there was nothing to stop all non professional sports in the country, cancel all concerts and even start encouraging older and vulnerable people to start preparing for social distancing. There was so much more that could of been done, many of us were advocating advanced communication.

Look at South Korea and Indonesia, that’s what prepared countries do. They don’t need to wait until it gets so bad that they have to go on full lockdown, they take steps long in advance of it even reaching their country. We just watched it fly right in and accepted our fate without putting too much public emphasis on education and preparing because it might scare people.

As many of us predicted, people were going to panic anyway and if was better to have a controlled panic in advance of what we are seeing across Europe. You can thank the head in the sand system that can only react after an event which causes everybody more pain. If we go on lockdown, it’s because we didn’t manage this well because there are countries managing to get through this without huge death rates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Downlinz wrote: »
    Very sad to hear. I hope this can help to concentrate minds on what lies ahead so we aren't seeing stories like this on a daily basis.

The person leading this wants to open up Nursing homes to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ipso wrote: »

37 US states have cases. It isn't isolated to a few locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

pc7 wrote: »

Chloroquine and remdesivir. In vitro they do but in vivo is not proven yet. Chloroquine works by working as ionophore for zinc which deactivates the enzyme replicating virus. Remdesivir works by disguising as one of the base and stopping further proliferation of rna strands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Water John wrote: »
    Doubt it's the Cork patient, wrong age profile.

The east of the country...but where is the age reported?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement