Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

I thought earlier that we were being proactive but alas i was wrong.

We are being reactive. We could have acted last weekend but didnt cause of the poxy economy.

15,000 from cheltenham to come home too as well as all the italian rugby supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

using waterford hospitals lab now for testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Basically any country who followed WHO advice about travel and flights (most countries in Western Europe including Ireland) have seen an explosion in cases.

Those countries who ignored WHO advice on restricting flights from hotspots came out well from this.

Far East Asian countries for the most part ignored WHO advice on air flight restrictions. Lucky them!

The Chinese told the WHO to f*ck off when they tried to muscle in. Lucky they did also.

That's an interesting one.

Italy decided to block flights from China because it did not have a national airline to give instructions on how to register passengers for monitoring.
    Alitalia does not fly to China.

Then Italy saw the number of cases we have all seen.
    One would expect that the spread came from travellers from China,
    but (except the case of two tourists) the strain in Italy came from the Bavaria outbreak - that was not fully contained as initially thought.

So restricting flights in that case did not have an effect on the number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Well if they had been paying attention to what was happening over the past 6 weeks, they had plenty time to stock up then and could have avoided the necessity to all in bundle into a supermarket today to do what they should have done weeks ago, I.e. stock up and be prepared. Today’s group are all likely the previous “just a flu bro” crowd, the ones paying attention (plenty on here) don’t need to go shopping today because they already bought what they need to be able to stay indoors and away from crowds of last minute preppers (that’s a paradox I know) when the inevitable “penny dropped”.

Loving the I'm holier than thou attitude of the folks that claim to have bought a little bit extra each week. Congrats to them they have a wonderful attitude about it's not one bit condescending at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

All flights need to be stopped.
    Only irish people should be allowed home.

Slovakia and czech republic have closed their borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

1, popular and well liked in real life.
    2, People need to take take the blinkers off, you and others like you still in denial and are in for a world of hurt.
    Now if you and you ilk where not so pig headed and stubborn, you would swallow your pride and get ready for the SHTF event that will crash into Ireland in the coming days/weeks.
    Feeling belligerency toward those of us smart enough to see what was coming and took the time to warn you, does that demeanor curry favour with people in the real world?
    I was prepared back in January and was advising others to do the same, but I didn't come back to say "haha you were wrong". Bad look. Off with you out into the real world if it's working for you.
    Loving the I'm holier than thou attitude of the folks that claim to have bought a little bit extra each week. Congrats to them they have a wonderful attitude about it's not one bit condescending at all.
    Agreed. It's not funny and we need to band together now and mind each other, not be d!ckheads.
    flynnlives wrote: »
    Did they say where in the country these are?
    Yes but not in the news bulletin because it was late coming on, incredibly annoyingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

owlbethere wrote: »
    How is your niece doing if you don't mind me asking? Did she come down with any flu like symptoms?

Thankfully not, although a couple of her classmates self isolated just in case. No-one from her school has been diagnosed (yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

just said on RTE news, after telling us everything would be grand, that stockpiles were low in warehouses, and wouldnt be getting shipments for a couple days, not sure what supermarket chain it was in reference to

So what you're saying that there are stockpiles in warehouses which will be used to replenish stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I'm surprised at the lack of cases in central Africa. Not testing, I guess?

Could be lack of testing and also lack of volume of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Knex. wrote: »
    Won't shops still be open too, even if we go into a proper lockdown?

It's not like you'll never get access to food again.

I suppose the fear is if you get it and have to self-isolate, I guess? Still seems extreme.

I fully expect that Aldi workers will still be manning the tills till deaths for. After all, Aldi pays then slightly more than other retail outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

DeanAustin wrote: »
    The UK are saying they are making decisions based on medical and expert advice. There is a logic to what they are saying and what they are doing. That’s not to say I necessarily agree with it but Boris Johnson is better informed on the subject than me or you.

It’s impossible for most of us here to make an informed judgement because we aren’t experts. History will judge whether the UK has done a good job on this.

I was only thinking about this. I'm glad our government has taken action. WHO has been screaming at countries for weeks regarding preparedness. From the UK expert that was fielding the questions for Boris. (fair play to him for deferring to an expert by the way) it seemed as though they are expecting a curve with 6 weeks either side.(12 in total) They are saying people are going to die. They are tacitly stating the need to make that peak smaller/sharper. One way is to not flatten the curve but push the curve up. They believe that on balance carrying on as normal and practicing hand washing will prevent enough spread so that the disruption to the economy is less and the wave passes quicker.

I'm glad our government is not taking that approach. We should be looking after our most vulnerable. One explanation for the difference in approach is that we do not depend so much on our domestic economy. i.e a large portion of workforce can work from home. However those who can't work from home have been promoted essentially in society to keep the show running. Farmers / bakers / supermarket assistants / truck drivers should all be compensated for the risks they will undoubtedly have to take in the coming weeks. They should get danger money effectively (as soldiers do when deploying). The should be provided with PPE as a matter of urgency / necessity.

It goes with out saying that health care workers will be those most at risk. Please god they will be safe. After this is done they should be the ones who are most valued in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

theres countries who arent counting any more right ?....is it sweden or denmark ?

whats whole irelanf island number now ?...is it 90 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The panic over food supplies is going to make this situation worse. People stockpiling while others who can't afford to go short. Very selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Brazil’s President Bolsonaro tested positive for coronavirus!

I bet Trump has it.

He didn't sound too good last night and this is the second time he has been around someone with Corona. When Leo comes back he will have to go into self isolation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Kunkka wrote: »
      Their advice is obviouisly wrong. That cannot be right.

The UK approach today reminds me of Italy two weeks ago.

Fair play to Ireland for taking drastic measures quickly, didn't think we would but its the right thing to do.

I just happened to be in a hospital in England today visiting a relative that had surgery yesterday in the high dependency unit and happened to overhear a conversation when leaving between a few staff members in relation to his speech. Pretty much all of them were disgusted with him as they seemed to suggest it needs to be slowed down as much as possible whilst the health system mobilises resources rather than the waiting around and doing nothing until it gets worse. Too reactive and not proactive one of them said.

I had a look at Leo's reaction compared to Boris and it was pretty much chalk and cheese. I know a lot of people don't like Leo around here but he's 100x the person that Boris is and far more statesmanlike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Hurrache wrote: »
      They have a massive distribution centre, there's no issues yet.

How would there be issues yet? The panic buying of food only started today. Issues with the supply chain won’t manifest immediately. The infections are increasing, Next week isn’t going to be better you are aware. People will be panic buying throughout the EU, there are so many factors that will impact supply chains. Do you really not understand what’s coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Xertz wrote: »
      Iceland's surprising. It's quite remote and it's only got a population of 364,000. That's significantly smaller than County Cork.

Which is why, given the number of cases from the "South" that we all need to get our shovels out and dig around Cork, float it off into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Have they said which areas the 27 new cases are from yet or are we no longer privileged enough to get a province by province breakdown?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Today;
      Global Pandemic
      Panic shopping
      Stock prices collapsing
      Schools closed

Don't mean to cause widespread panic but Friday the 13th isn't until tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

You can interpret it as condescending if you choose. I’m just pointing out the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

jos28 wrote: »
      Spot on there, dozens of kids came home from school mid-term trips last month and were allowed straight back to school without a thought. My niece was one of them and the HSE told the school there was no problem letting them straight back to class.:confused: Direct action should have been taken last month and we might be in a different situation today.
      Apparently there is supposed to be an announcement later this evening about Cheltenham.

Well it's too late to cancel it. Shooting the gobsh*tes who went as they get off the plane is probably a bit harsh.

How about we make them wear a t-shirt "Cheltenham 2020 - I was there" so we can avoid/abuse them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How would there be issues yet? The panic buying of food only started today. Issues with the supply chain won’t manifest immediately. The infections are increasing, Next week isn’t going to be better you are aware. People will be panic buying throughout the EU, there are so many factors that will impact supply chains. Do you really not understand what’s coming?

There's no issues yet with nothing to restock the stores, that's why there's no issues yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

So what you're saying that there are stockpiles in warehouses which will be used to replenish stores

it'll be on RTE1 +1 at about 19:22, or on the RTE Player,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Have any of the countries who have successfully curbed the spread so far used a similar tactic re: case information?
      South Korea approach has been very transparent

"alerts arrive all day, every day, telling you where an infected person has been - and when. You can also look up the information on the Ministry of Health and Welfare website.
      No names or addresses are given"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51733145

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

There's no issues yet with nothing to restock the stores, that's why there's no issues yet.

U wot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Acosta

Strazdas wrote: »
      The HSE have been very transparent. They may feel that giving precise locations when it comes to 27 new cases could lead to panic among some.

Still many people out there not taking this seriously enough that could do with it being spelt out to them how bad it is in their area. After the announcements today and the strong words the last few days from government, people being informed how bad it is in particular areas isn't going to cause people to panic anymore than they already are.

I live in Cork, my family lives in Cork. I want to know how bloody bad it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How far are people taking the lockdown? Don't get haircuts? Don't go for walks? Dont go into shops unless necessary?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not sure if anyone is interested but anyway.

Prison visits are being allowed to continue. No under 18s allowed, visit times restricted to 15 min per person, a limit of 2 adults per visit, no contact between visitors i.e. handshake, kissing. Anybody with flu-like symptoms to be turned away.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement