Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,585 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

cr-07 wrote: »
    I was meant to be getting married on the 27th of this month. Fat chance of that happening. Saying I'm disgusted is an understatement.

Feel really bad for ya.
    Genuinely, is a massive disappointment for you both

It's really unfortunate timing.

My grandmother is in hospital with viral pneumonia, will probably never see her again, she's over 80 with emphysema. Didn't even go to visit her in hospital before they closed the visiting areas because I don't want to risk bringing anything home from the hospital. They've done a test on her for Covid-19 but say it won't be ready until tomorrow.

Don't expect her to survive tbh, but hopefully if the measures announced today can give the health services a head start and avoid them from being completely over run by patients, then she might have a chance to receive treatment and recover

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why does RTE and other media keep banging on about restaurants suffering financially because of the virus? :confused:

Minimal margins to begin with, an industry everyone knows and has an experience with, and likely to see mass closures permenantly as a result of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Dr Holohan also said at the press conference that in effect school closures are open ended.

Could be closed well beyond the end of March.

They won’t open until September I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Dr Holohan also said at the press conference that in effect school closures are open ended.

Could be closed well beyond the end of March.

Easter break (2 weeks) due to start on 06 April. So an extension of just five days could give a more effective shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why does RTE and other media keep banging on about restaurants suffering financially because of the virus? :confused:

Someone in RTE is connected to the hospitality business obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Amazingly, Turkey has only one case and sits at the bottom of the Worldometers table of affected countries.

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.

Whats happens if a worker in the centre gets infected?

They isolate and continue on. The food supply will be sustained. It has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

The difference in the response between Leo and Boris is pretty mad. A lot of panicked parents picking up their kids from school here in London today. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them decide to keep them off school. We had 8 teachers out sick today (we have two of every class), including two teachers who had been in France last week on a school trip! We've had to start doubling up classes, so 45+ children in a room. It's only going to get worse too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given that we have a caretaker Government, the actions taken by the HSE and the Government to date, particularly in light of the British lack of action today is quite encouraging.

The HSE seem to be very aware of the resource drain that Covid-19 will cause and are taking action to shift the curve and allow hopefully better patient management and outcomes.

Whatever happens if we can slow the progression, it will save some of the current scenes playing out in Italy from hitting our Health Service.

There is no point in our aftertiming the choices made.
    Rather appreciate that in an open and vulnerable economy, definite actions have been taken to try and arrest this.
    The U.K and in particular Boris have shown themselves to be tied to economy over citizenry with today's press conference.

Stay safe and stay well folks.
    Not often I can say the government are being pro-active(at least compared to our Euro colleagues).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My partner is a social care worker and currently works in a retirement home for the elderly/mentally challenged. She has rheumatoid arthritis and type-2 diabetes. She rang her boss to see if she should come in tonight for her overnight shift, that she's feeling uneasy about coming in due to her conditions, and her boss told her to "just wash your hands" and that she "doesn't believe diabetes would be a factor in catching the virus". Apparently there is little in place and her boss is being very unreasonable about it. All they have is gloves and little to no hand sanitiser available (mind you there's plenty of soap and hot water). No masks at all, either.

She rang HSE for advice and they said to her that so long as she keeps her hygiene in check, she should be fine, since there doesn't seem to be anyone in the home that has left the building, but they also said that if she finds herself in contact with anyone in there that ends up coughing, or feeling unwell, or if she starts to feel unwell herself, she should go home......................................

That basically sounds like "keep going into work until you catch it"

Jesus wept..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MustSpionKop

Have any of the countries who have successfully curbed the spread so far used a similar tactic re: case information?

Hong Kong gave full detail on the age of each case, gender, the building of origin etc. Currently they have less active cases than we do. Of course, there's also a cultural acceptance to wear masks in public which helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

otnomart wrote: »
    Tourism is an important part of Irish GDP and of the Ireland Brand.
    Such a decision will not be taken lightly.

Tourists have no where to go! Neither will anyone travelling from ireland other countries closing cultural sites etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

flynnlives wrote: »
    Flights need to be restricted to Irish passport holders only.

Last I checked anyone from the EU is entitled to live and work in Ireland...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do those recovering have to be in hospideals until.they recover??

No 20% is the estimate of those who will need hospitalisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Morocco will no longer accept flights or ships arriving from Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Amazingly, Turkey has only one case and sits at the bottom of the Worldometers table of affected countries.

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.

Turkey is an odd one; they have a huge diaspora that is well-connected with the home country and are relatively wealthy considering the region. Istanbul is also a very densely populated mega-city perfect for mass community transmission. I would have thought they'd be riddled by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wibbs wrote: »
    The panic buying we witnessed today was a perfect illustration of mob idiocy in plain view. A mass gathering of panicked morons all milling together, completely oblivious to the fact that in their panic they have exposed themselves and others to whatever carriers of this virus are in the community. But they have their bog roll and that's fine. The fear of missing out and the herd mentality. :rolleyes:

:pac::D

aaG1gud.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because business will close and people will lose their jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What is the location breakdown of today's cases?

They categorically denied the second death that was reported in the Indo as well and gave out about it.

I think yesterday's leaked community transmission in Waterford was in today's count as well. I love how when questioned, he says "We do not have a report of that" and then they blatantly report them the next day. Massive cunce.
    505373.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Boggles wrote: »
    Source?

My friend is a principal of secondary school. Good enough source for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hurrache wrote: »
    So what you're saying that there are stockpiles in warehouses which will be used to replenish stores
    The supermarkets and distributors stockpiled in anticipation of delays caused by Brexit. Little did they know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Because they are and that has a knock on effect for staff and suppliers. No one likes to tell their staff that there's no work for them. It starts off with part-timers not getting hours and then full time staff being temporarily laid off. This scenario is reflected in restaurants and coffee shops all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.
    Think we all see through that stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

wakka12 wrote: »

I wonder why...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238159151865507847

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All schools closed in Turkey and Norway.
    I would imagine there are now more students worldwide out of school than in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Whats happens if a worker in the centre gets infected?

They will get more workers.
    Majority working in the distribution centres are agency staff.
    Shops won't be running out of anything anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

wakka12 wrote: »

Could be bad the other way around... Major drought

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.

Or there not saying I be very surprised if it is actually 1

Edit: Plus there first case was only yesterday. Its not like they have retrained it yet. Little premature to congratulate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kevin12345 wrote: »
    The difference in the response between Leo and Boris is pretty mad.
    France and Germany have not closed schools nationwide either. (Only in the epicentres).
    Italy closed schools and unis already on 4 March - with approx 2700 positive cases
    Maybe the UK is waiting to reach that (magic?) number ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement