Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Brits aren't taking this even remotely serious.

Germany cancelled a Professional Darts Corporation event in Leverkusen at the end of the month, so the Brits have just announced an extra PDC tournament for the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

scamalert wrote: »
    fair enough but lock down solves 0, lose kids people with tons of time, lost money for everyone, and cant continue for more then couple weeks, and if it drops a bit or stops takes single plane or group of people for it to rinse and repeat :cool:

Scientists including this guy from Yale University would disagree with you.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/does-closing-schools-slow-spread-novel-coronavirus
    Q: So a reactive closure would occur after a case of COVID-19 in a student, parent, or staff member. Should one case like this close a school? Does it depend on circumstances at all?
    A: If, for example, a person flew to your town from Italy and brought the condition with them, that means something different than a community-acquired case, where we don’t know how they got the disease. A community-acquired case is like a canary in the coal mine. When you detect one case there are probably dozens or hundreds of others.

Q: A community-acquired case should close the school?
    A: Yes. By that time, they’ve probably transmitted it to other people. It’s the tip of the iceberg. One paper I looked at [on an influenza pandemic] looked at closing a class or a grade. It doesn’t gain you much.

Q: What about the parent returning from a trip in Italy? Should that school close?
    A: Maybe. They could isolate people close to the infected individual. I would probably close it, but I could certainly understand not doing so.

Q: How about proactive school closures, before there are any infections associated with a school? Are they helpful?
    A: Proactive school closures—closing schools before there’s a case there—have been shown to be one of the most powerful nonpharmaceutical interventions that we can deploy. Proactive school closures work like reactive school closures not just because they get the children, the little vectors, removed from circulation. It’s not just about keeping the kids safe. It’s keeping the whole community safe. When you close the schools, you reduce the mixing of the adults—parents dropping off at the school, the teachers being present. When you close the schools, you effectively require the parents to stay home.
    There was a wonderful paper published that analyzed data regarding the Spanish flu in 1918, examining proactive versus reactive school closures. When did [regional] authorities close the schools relative to when the epidemic was spiking? What they found was that proactive school closing saved substantial numbers of lives. St. Louis closed the schools about a day in advance of the epidemic spiking, for 143 days. Pittsburgh closed 7 days after the peak and only for 53 days. And the death rate for the epidemic in St. Louis was roughly one-third as high as in Pittsburgh. These things work.

If only our government would listen to real scientists like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nthclare wrote: »
    If there was a shutdown
    Anyone who lives rural life and by the coast or near the woods probably have more of a chance staying sane.
    Rather than being in suburbs, at least one could have a sneaky walk.

Yes life is that much more relaxed in rural situations. Here I know no one gets up until after 8 am so now I can safely slowly amble a little before then.

After that I am never out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Entire covid-19 outbreak in Italy tracked to a German who traveled to Italy on January 25th/26th

In January, an asymptomatic transmission occurred in a group of people infected by a colleague who came from China, the director of the Sacco hospital explained to "Outside the chorus"

https://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cronaca/coronavirus-galli-paziente-0-arrivato-dalla-germania-il-25-26-gennaio_15995099-202002a.shtml

Italy now has 631 fatalities

Yes.
    Germany assumed they had fully contained the Bavaria outbreak - but now we know they didn't.

The Bavarian outbreak was started by a Chinese colleague coming from China.
    Article from the New England Journal of Medicine
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2001468?fbclid=IwAR1jpHVcw4pBlmcr0JIubridJjIwlSVyV7G3DSQ9iFaMtd-mnX3d9F_WRzM

The strain in Europe is the same and originates from the first patient in Germany, or Bavaria Patient 1 (shortened in BavPat1)
    Research has established the samples from (so far) Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico are all related to Bavaria Patient 1 .
    https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/2020-03-05?n=9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Renjit wrote: »
    Chloroquine and remdesivir. In vitro they do but in vivo is not proven yet. Chloroquine works by working as ionophore for zinc which deactivates the enzyme replicating virus. Remdesivir works by disguising as one of the base and stopping further proliferation of rna strands.

I'm gonna guess you don't work in some local chipper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

namloc1980 wrote: »
    37 US states have cases. It isn't isolated to a few locations.

No, but incidents like I mentioned can skew the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Steve F wrote: »
    Just says "Elderly"
    What do we term as elderly?

Over 65, so 66 or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

why let schools go when it seem kids are least vunerable.

least vunerable... and potentially more dangerous for it as they can be carriers... invisible carriers in the respects they wont show symptoms....but yet can pass it on to family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

the idiocracy rules why the hesitation for announcing any lock downs, seems quite few would love to skim for few weeks alright.

why let schools go when it seem kids are least vunerable.

whats the point of any lockdowns if eventually would take single person to get infected and spread it again.

are people that **** crazy to fear something that's just a bit higher then flu in extreme cases where people have health issues. as it aint ebola where you bleed and $hit non stop trough every hole in your body once it gets into you.

The rules say to attack the post, not the poster. So, I'll just say that this is the stupidest post I have read about Covid-19 today. It is a stinking pile of ignorant idiocy. If posts had an IQ, this post would be in the simpleton percentile. If posts could become self-aware, this post would put a gun to its head to escape the putridness of its own existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

New Home wrote: »
    No, it's something that has the potential to reduce your lungs to a mass of scar tissue, give you a severe, severe heart condition, and f*ck up your kidneys for life, if you're "lucky" enough to come through the other end. Be grand.

With all the reports from around the world, are people going around with a blindfold and their fingers stuck in their ears going "LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"?

Where are you pulling this information from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had said on here last night that it would take a death or a politician getting Covid-19 before the HSE and our so-called government take things seriously. I hope they do now and that all colleges, creches, schools, and universities are closed. We could be like Italy as we are were Italy was 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

J0hnick wrote: »
    Over 65, so 66 or older.

Dear god is over 65 really considered elderly?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It does work. No doubt about it.

But what happens when they return to normal?

Will the virus start up again? Back to square 1.

I think if they can control the spread, open up slowly, people much more conscious of hygiene etc. it may be easier to manage. I don't know, but to not try is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Number of posts here are lessening. Corona virus fatigue before it's even started.

Fatigue is right, I originally came to these threads to act the bolix a bit and try curb/counteract the hysterical responses, I have become a little over-invested myself in the meantime, the pure saturation of info around the spread is giving me a bit of anxiety. (ironic, I know :rolleyes: )

Time to step back a bit for me, and I suggest same for many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

At least all the livestock does not seem to be affected in any way which at least is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

I think its bad situation that flights from Milan Malpensa Bergamo both in Lombardy region and Bologna in Romagna region continue to bring people here unrestricted unchecked by both Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

Who knows what they're bringing here but not many Irish on those flights.
    This is serious concern I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I'm guessing we'll be round the 40 mark today!
    We were 34 earlier, now 33 after the death and if we only get 7 new positives I would be shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fia11 wrote: »
    Dear god is over 65 really considered elderly?

Immune system-wise, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

ITman88 wrote: »
    If it’s not a total lockdown what exactly is it that’s being proposed on this thread?????

Im not sure which lockdown you are referring to.

But goods etc will still move.

Its the people that spread it

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

So Poland have decided to close all schools, universities and public buildings from today for 2 weeks.

They have 25 reported cases.

We have 52 on the island and the first death. Yet nothing has happened!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

niallo27 wrote: »
    At least all the livestock does not seem to be affected in any way which at least is a plus.

It's a plus for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fatigue is right, I originally came to these threads to act the bolix a bit and try curb/counteract the hysterical responses, I have become a little over-invested myself in the meantime, the pure saturation of info around the spread is giving me a bit of anxiety. (ironic, I know :rolleyes: )

Time to step back a bit for me, and I suggest same for many others.

My anxiety is through the roof because of this thread and the media in general....and yet, here I am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Jesus I’m very sad about the first death here. It has hit me in a way I didn’t expect it to. God love the family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Irish Times now saying criteria for testing is being extended to include those with symptoms who haven't travelled. Numbers are set to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

niallo27 wrote: »

There's a bird flu outbreak on a poultry farm in Monaghan, just in case we didn't have enough going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's a plus for them

And for us as we can still eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

mikel97 wrote: »
    I think its bad situation that flights from Milan Malpensa Bergamo both in Lombardy region and Bologna in Romagna region continue to bring people here unrestricted unchecked by both Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

Who knows what they're bringing here but not many Irish on those flights.
    This is serious concern I think

I have not seen the load factor numbers (has someone seen them and can share ?) but my guess is that there are only a few people on board and they are all going back home.

https://twitter.com/Idefieks/status/1234170236024344576

https://twitter.com/CarlosJoseJalil/...09078203842567

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

How would you not be anxious with the amount of misinformation and overblown BS on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I'm gonna guess you don't work in some local chipper

I need to wash my left hand :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement