Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ace2007 wrote: »
    We'll get to a stage where only the very sick or elderly will be going to a hospital.
    Secondly - you would be naïve to think that the numbers aren't higher, for example those 27 "new cases" more than likely had the virus yesterday and the day before.

Realistically there are probably 200+ cases at the moment, but it's not affecting people much

Only the elderly or sick going to the hospital is the good stage.

The next stage is the elderly and very sick being left to die to save younger people, which is what's happening in Italy right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Zenify wrote: »
    I have a letter the army was sent about being ready for action. Has it already been posted?
    I heard they're planning to seal off the personal hygiene section of the lidl in Derry. It will be the battle of the bog roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Can't wait to see the 'what did you have for dinner' thread in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oh give over James Bond.

I wouldn't even repond just report and move on. Normally I expect some trolly or funny remarks here of After Hours but a case like this it should be taken with a dim view IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

We'll get to a stage where only the very sick or elderly will be going to a hospital.
    Secondly - you would be naïve to think that the numbers aren't higher, for example those 27 "new cases" more than likely had the virus yesterday and the day before.

Realistically there are probably 200+ cases at the moment, but it's not affecting people much

Well then, we’ll be no better than Italy where the old and already sick are being left to die, as younger healthy people have best chance at survival. That’s just shocking to even think about let alone to make that choice. God help us if we can’t slow this down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Globalisation. There was hardly any probability. This wouldn’t have got through eventually they way it’s spread, which nobody could have foreseen.

There's that fatalistic attitude. It was definitely going to get through if nobody made any effort. Nobody made any effort. It got through.

SARS didn't get through. Plenty of globalization then.

Covid-19 is being beaten in China, and Wuhan is fairly well surrounded by China. There is no wall around Wuhan, at least not a literal one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Seems it doesn't matter how many times people are told not to stockpile (by the media and retailers through social media) people are still doing it.

Gym chains (Ben Dunne and Flyfit) emailing saying they are closed until 29/3.

Why should people “obey” the media vs preparing to have essential food and water available in home in case they need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

We are completely fcuked, aren't we?

You're so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We are completely fcuked, aren't we?

It's times like this I wish I was a religious man...

neiKy1R.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hopefully we'll contain it let it fizzle out and by mid April we'll be back on stream again.

A lot of us are in the same boat, so any bills unpaid or overdue car tax ncts etc should be brought forward maybe two months to give people a chance to catch up.

Im one of those pebble in the shoes types.
    I get annoyed over silly things but under pressure I seem to be sharper.

My wiring is a bit backwards I think lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Still don't get why people bite when someone posts something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

laurah591 wrote: »
    Nt sure someone who hasn't smoked weed in years should be smoking with a deadly respiratory virus about

If he's not infected and not going out. What difference does it make

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I can't be the only one who sees a flaw with stockpiling bread and meat... :rolleyes:

People are actually buying chest freezers to stockpile frozen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Only the elderly or sick going to the hospital is the good stage.

The next stage is the elderly and very sick being left to die to save younger people, which is what's happening in Italy right now.

People need to self isolate and practice social distancing .... only way to stem this. I would hate to be in Italy, France or Spain tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I can't be the only one who sees a flaw with stockpiling bread and meat... :rolleyes:

The fresh food aisles have been cleaned out. Not sure what the thinking is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

The only Chinese food that it's in feature pangolin quills.

****, I wish someone had told me this before I went stockpiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Covid-19 is being beaten in China, and Wuhan is fairly well surrounded by China. There is no wall around Wuhan, at least not a literal one.

As I keep asking, do we really believe this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭threeball

They should close all stock markets. We don't need all those flaky cnuts destroying the world economy as they panic and try to move money around, burying businesses left right and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

France has taken the position that there was never anything that could be done.

I am flabergasted at how fatalistic the UK, France, and Germany have been since the start of this. If they had just stopped flights from Germany Europe would likely be virus free. Anyway, spilled milk.

The thing is (with Italians no longer allowed to travel and most Italian airports closed), France and Germany will see their positive cases raise solely due to their failure to control their own epicentres when they could still have done.
    Their own public opinion is demanding stronger measures and more testing, and they are not getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Considering some people don't display symptoms for one-two weeks (if at all), I think it's highly likely hundreds are already infected.

I would say a few 1000 mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

All the panic buyers are the same people Tweeting Be Kind last mó th, Now they don't give a **** about anyone else
    Its embarrassing the state of our citizens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cloudatlas wrote: »
    They’ve obviously been advised to shut things down in stages.
    A full economic lockdown is hugely costly initially and likely to be even more so into the future and very difficult to keep going for any length of time. This is about that management of cases over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

jackboy wrote: »
    There is no determination, there never has been. Don’t fall for the propaganda. This is not a proper shutdown.

The Chinese and Koreans are taking the virus on and winning if the numbers are to be believed

Europe is waving the white flag before the fight begins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

lawred2 wrote: »
    The fresh food aisles have been cleaned out. Not sure what the thinking is there

People eating healthy to improve their immune systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

As I keep asking, do we really believe this?

Yeah, it genuinely looks like China is beating this.

Whether it will still bother if the rest of the world do as piss poor a job as Europe and Iran though, that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭nullObjects

There should now be a national marketing campaign on TV, Radio, YouTube adverts, billboards and the sides of busses, junk mail with a simple message,

STAY THE FCUK AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND KEEP YOUR HYGIENE STANDARDS HIGH!

https://staythe****home.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How much recovered cases in Italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All the panic buyers are the same people Tweeting Be Kind last mó th, Now they don't give a **** about anyone else
    Its embarrassing the state of our citizens
    I believe some Tesco stores have started enforcing quotas.

Yeah, considering some people don't display symptoms for one-two weeks (if at all), I think it's highly likely hundreds are already infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

is_that_so wrote: »
    A full economic lockdown is hugely costly initially and likely to be even more so into the future and very difficult to keep going for any length of time. This is about that management of cases over time.

At the end of the day - it's Human cost v economic cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement