Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why are death rates so high in italy?

Too many people critical at the one time that the hospitals can handle.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

In the billions already, 3 billion was the initial amount put aside wasn't it?

They will simply redirect none essential project budget into this topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Soulsun wrote: »
    How many weeks will it be before we are over the worst of Covid 19?

The British CMO said between 10 to 12 weeks until the peak of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

PSG supporters practising social distancing

https://twitter.com/PSG_English/status/1237812836308586497

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ForestFire wrote: »
    Is he turning what's left of the bread loafs and fishes fingers that are left into mass supplies for all?

Jesus loves you, but asks that you please keep back 3m, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not sure if legitimate

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

is_that_so wrote: »
    Human cost will be low, the economic can take a lot longer to fix and produce a great human cost to boot, that's the balancing act they are working on.

Yep a lot to balance, a rotten few years ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What steps have Britain introduced to delaying it? :confused:

They were saying today that they are 4 weeks behind Italy. Is that based on the fact they are making the same mistakes as Italy and doing fúck all about it or have they just chucked in the towel?

Bojo just looks completely disinterested by the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think everyone is afraid of me. I've a very persistent cough with sore sides. (no fever though so assuming just a cough!).

Our work has now told everyone today that we all work from home until March 29th at the earliest. Everything is now done over video. At least I can reduce my need to mingle with other people. Will be doing 11pm shopping!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please support petition here:
    Stop spamming this thread with these requests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Worst day for the Dow Jones since black monday 1987. Same for the FTSE 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Please support my petition for Super Value Knocknacarra to restock their Graham Norton Sav B and Fitzgerald’s bagels please, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Originally Posted by Phibsboro View Post
    I don't know if you saw my earlier post, but 9 new cases from 34 is a 27% increase, which implies the cases will more than double ever 3 days. Just to do the math for you a little:

13/03/20 53
    14/03/20 68
    15/03/20 87
    16/03/20 110
    17/03/20 140
    18/03/20 179
    19/03/20 227
    20/03/20 289
    21/03/20 368
    22/03/20 468
    23/03/20 596
    24/03/20 759
    25/03/20 966
    26/03/20 1,229
    27/03/20 1,564
    28/03/20 1,991
    29/03/20 2,534
    30/03/20 3,225
    31/03/20 4,104
    01/04/20 5,223
    02/04/20 6,648
    03/04/20 8,461
    04/04/20 10,769
    05/04/20 13,706
    06/04/20 17,443
    07/04/20 22,201
    08/04/20 28,256
    09/04/20 35,962
    10/04/20 45,769
    11/04/20 58,252
    12/04/20 74,139
    13/04/20 94,358
    14/04/20 120,092
    15/04/20 152,845
    16/04/20 194,530
    17/04/20 247,584
    18/04/20 315,106
    19/04/20 401,045
    20/04/20 510,420

Considering were now gone ahead of the curve, we might peak at the end of April...was looking like it would take longer yesterday but we're making a right balls of it so should finisher sooner...

Please support my petition for Super Value Knocknacarra to restock their Graham Norton Sav B and Fitzgerald’s bagels please, thanks

That sounds like a great night in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Worst day for the Dow Jones since black monday 1987. Same for the FTSE 100.

And worst day in history on the French stock market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Boggles wrote: »
    What steps have Britain introduced to delaying it? :confused:

They were saying today that they are 4 weeks behind Italy. Is that based on the fact they are making the same mistakes as Italy and doing fúck all about it or have they just chucked in the towel?

Bojo just looks completely disinterested by the whole thing.

At the start they were pretty good at isolating cases from China. They have done a pretty good job at keeping the public informed and pushing advice about hygiene and encouraging home working. They've also done a pretty good job of tracing a lot of cases. I don't count that as doing nothing.

I don't know why people want the UK to do a load of rash things that don't really have an impact on the virus spreading anyway.

Some people want to rush to do pointless and even destructive things just to be seen to be doing something. The best policy is to stick with what the experts are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

My guess is 6-9 months if status quo is maintained, if they implement measure to successfully lower the contagion rate in Ireland, then I’d guess about 18 months. Hopefully the latter would spread the critical patients out enough to allow the health system cope somewhat, though that’s a tall order, it really will be a hellish situation for all front line medical staff in the coming months. Don’t see it being over in 12 weeks at all, just getting started in Ireland now, but will pick up pace at a frightening rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The panicked buying we all saw today was a direct result of how poorly the closures were communicated. It should have been a staged approach with parents given more than a couple of hours notice that schools and creches were to close today.

It wasn't given until 11:30 either, probably because the king of spin was over in DC for his photo op instead of being back here doing his job.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Some thoughts on one of my roughest days in work.

I work in a third level institution and run a team of about 8 staff. We are very externally focused.

Today I got 6 hours notice that we were closing down until 29th March. I had two hours to confirm that all my team could work from home with the innuendo that this was required to ensure payroll would continue.Two hours later my office administrator heard that all the catering staff on campus had been taken off payroll, effective immediately. Her partner was one of them.

Over the course of the afternoon my team self actuated into a raft of contingency arrangements and I cannot say how proud I am of their actions today.

Tomorrow is a new day and we all work from home. Our work is very interactive with our customers and we do a lot of legal work with a lot of associated hard copy paper. We have a lot of unknowns to deal with and we will work through these as the days ahead develop.

The expectation is that we will not come back to work on the 29th March and my son who is in a final year in another college has more or less being told that the he will probably not be coming back into college this semester.

There is no doubt that there will be a significant impact of this virus but I do fear that the bigger impact will be an economic one.

To finish in a more positive note, the Italian prime minister indicated today that the extreme quarantine measures implemented in the first two regions in northern Italy have worked and that no new positive cases were recorded today.

So there is hope and we do need to take personal responsibility but we are all in this together and what I saw in my office today lifted me out of a fairly shook state when the initial announcement was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone manage to get a refund from Aer Lingus, even in the form of flight vouchers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

LRNM wrote: »
    Wondering how many millions this is going to cost the country?

I'm more concerned about how many deaths we will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

As someone who speaks Italian, this scares the **** out of me. The translation doesn't do justice to the anxiety and nervousness in their voices.

The reportage out of Italy is very sobering indeed. It was Dr Daniele Macchinni's social media post on conditions in Lombardy that first gave me a sense of concern. It is so hard to untangle the hype from the hysteria from the realism, but reading of first class ICUs so utterly overwhelmed by a single illness in such a short time is very stark.

Regardless of how all this pans out in 6 months, or a year, I think there will be a traumatic imprint in our collective psyches. All over the world ordinary people are on average more fretful now about their newborns, their elderly parents, their immuno compromised friends or selves. People are suddenly aware of our collective vulnerability as a species to disease in a way that we have not been aware for a couple of generations because we have been scientifically on top of so many threats with things like antibiotics etc. This in and of itself, even with best case covid scenario unfolding, is a trauma.

The uncertainty and fluidity of the situation has put many people under sudden, very unexpected pressures with crazy, random questions arising - from what to do re employees, should they come to work, should I go on a plane, should I visit my elderly relative, should I stockpile food, is this hype, is this airborne, why has the media gone mad, what is fibrosis, what is ECMO, is this an engineered escaped virus, why are the people in power so scared by this particular thing, is normal life possible anymore, will half of all people really be infected etc etc etc - questions a mere month ago we would have been embarrassed about if they even passed through our mind!
    And yet, even with the very best intentions to remain calm, here we are now, a growing number of us with a creeping sense of "what the blooming heck" in our minds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have you a source for this?
    Everything I am reading still says 1 Death in Ireland
    There was a newspaper report this morning from indo that said 2nd person died but that had now got nothing in the article about it. I do remember it saying male cork elderly

File attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭threeball

Can you do that?

They've done it before for other crisis like the meltdown in 2008 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My guess is 6-9 months if status quo is maintained, if they implement measure to successfully lower the contagion rate in Ireland, then I’d guess about 18 months. Hopefully the latter would spread the critical patients out enough to allow the health system cope somewhat, though that’s a tall order, it really will be a hellish situation for all front line medical staff in the coming months. Don’t see it being over in 12 weeks at all, just getting started in Ireland now, but will pick up pace at a frightening rate.

And yet... China and South Korea have it under control within 10 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

To think this virus will be gone in a year or two for good is wishful thinking.

What's to stop it popping up again each year like the flu etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

mloc123 wrote: »
    And yet... China and South Korea have it under control within 10 weeks?

In case you hadn’t realized we’re not in China or South Korea lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The Chinese and Italians had it far worse than us and their food shops remain open.

Your post is such an Irish response to something like this. A stampede to the shops to strip them bare. A couple of weeks from now people like you will look very foolish when the shops are still open.

Some people really just don't get it.:rolleyes:

The supermarkets will restock and people can only stockpile so much but do you fancy popping down to the shops at the peak of the outbreak?

Myself and others are stocked up not because we are afraid of food running out it wont the supermarkets will restock what we are afraid of is running out for food in the hight of a virus outbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

To think this virus will be gone in a year or two for good is wishful thinking.

What's to stop it popping up again each year like the flu etc?

There will be a vaccine and immunity in the general population, the problem is we have neither right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

NYC declares State of Emergency

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement