Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

To think this virus will be gone in a year or two for good is wishful thinking.

What's to stop it popping up again each year like the flu etc?

What makes you think it's even seasonal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In case you hadn’t realized we’re not in China or South Korea lol

So we cannot emulate their process... No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The difference is that there will be a vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Some people really just don't get it.:rolleyes:

The supermarkets will restock and people can only stockpile so much but do you fancy popping down to the shops at the peak of the outbreak?

Disinfecting your Brennans slice pan will become part of the daily monotony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ireland up to 14.2 cases per million people. This is growing very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Logan Roy wrote: »
    There will be a vaccine and immunity in the general population, the problem is we have neither right now.

Ah I get it thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    The difference is that there will be a vaccine.

18 years since SARS emerged, still no vaccine... but a Covid vaccine will magically appear in no time at all, just like the Media said it would... ahh... yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Other then a vaccine, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

I just want to post saying a big sarcastic thank you to all the people who treated anyone taking this seriously like weirdos a week ago.

It's your fault this has spread and will continue to spread, killing people, and making life miserable for a lot of others.

I can say it on here but would really love to say it to a few people's faces i know also who were questioning me as obsessive and maybe i don't get out enough because I used a hand sanitiser last week.

Idiots of Ireland, take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mloc123 wrote: »
    So we cannot emulate their process... No?
    No guarantee that we would follow it over a long protracted period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's real. My in law is in the army. Getting ready to shut down non essential travel and support the garda

I have no doubt that the army are getting ready to support, but that letter is very clearly fake. Such an order would not be written to every individual member - there is a chain of command with ' military managers' in place to organise the required response to any order. The CO doesn't have to communicate on an individual level. Also.... all persons to report to McKee.... how would that happen?
    Do they all just drive up, or get the bus/train?

The letter is rubbish, the involvement of the army is very possible and indeed I would welcome it - might put manners on panic buyers and stop them risking their own and everyone else's health by participating in bulk buying mass gatherings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friend just back from Lidl, Cork St saying they're closing early as the shelves are empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

I am all stocked up and prepared to sit it out when things really go south.

You sound like a Denny's sausages and brioche bun kinda guy. Freezer full of burgers. A cucumber your one vegetable and, um, no legumes. But you can watch The Irishman on Netflix, along with other American mafia classics like The Godfather, and Goodfellahs, variously starring the superb Bobby DeNero, Mr. Al Pacino, and pint sized Oscar award winning Joe Pesci. Sitting in your chair, your balding head glistens as you reach for the remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont get this entire stock up shut down stupidity either, we could have 0 cases or it under control and then it starts spreading again takes one case as we know it now, so even few might be happy about time off, but virus wont go anywhere, and given how it spreads, theres no chance to contain it, as you cant lookup every person coming or going into country for 2 weeks when theres flights coming every 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

So are HSE ever going to relax their criteria? People coming in from Schiphol, Frankfurt, and Paris literally cannot have coronavirus according to the HSE. They are handling this terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

18 years since SARS emerged, still no vaccine... but a Covid vaccine will magically appear in no time at all, just like the Media said it would... ahh... yeah.

There was never a vaccine for SARS because they managed to contain it and it died out, not much demand from big pharma for a vaccine for a disease that is effectively dead.

Big mistake though, SARS is another Corona virus and if we had a SARS vaccine now it might have helped with Covid 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-panic-buying-the-thing-that-scares-me-is-the-people-1.4201195?mode=amp

Is it just me or do the Irish Times make a supreme effort to find the kippiest areas in Dublin to interview people with the thickest Dublin accents in practically all of their videos?

Is this some peculiar fetish for their readership?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 WriteThings

In fairness, we have RNA vaccine technology that didn't exist until a few years ago (albeit experimental) and Covid19 is a more pressing, widespread issue that will garner more resources.

Nothing's guaranteed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

mloc123 wrote: »
    And yet... China and South Korea have it under control within 10 weeks?

I feel like cultural differences may also play a part. In developed Asian countries things are like:

skynews-beijing-coronavirus_4945031.jpg?20200311151650

While in the west it's more like...:

5e63f264fee23d0935157532?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tomrota wrote: »
    So are HSE ever going to relax their criteria? People coming in from Schiphol, Frankfurt, and Paris literally cannot have coronavirus according to the HSE. They are handling this terribly.

If doctor suspects you have it then yes you are a candidate for testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Great time to take up Intermittent Fasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Amazingly, Turkey has only one case and sits at the bottom of the Worldometers table of affected countries.

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.

They used the national testing kit on that one, so it stops there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

You sound like a Denny's sausages and brioche bun kinda guy. Freezer full of burgers. A cucumber your one vegetable and, um, no legumes. But you can watch The Irishman on Netflix, along with other American mafia classics like The Godfather, and Goodfellahs, variously starring the superb Bobby DeNero, Mr. Al Pacino, and pint sized Oscar award winning Joe Pesci. Sitting in your chair, your balding head glistens as you reach for the remote.

:D:D:D what a wonderfully evocative paragraph.........

can't stop laughing here, you should do this for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

In an Aldi shop this evening and it was a bit silly. Every single bit of fruit and veg gone and 99%of the fresh meat. Food that won't keep, unless an awful lot of people have large fridges.
    Plenty of nuts and dried fruit. Excellent calorie dense food with a long shelf life. Also plenty of brown pasta and rice.
    There will be a lot of food waste next week.
    In case I'm accused of joining the panic I always do a shop on Thur evening just normal shopping. This stockpiling is idiotic, really shows how fragile a society is to any kind of shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where's today's cases from I can't find it anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

As I keep asking, do we really believe this?

Have been talking to people in China, not Wuhan, they are fairly relaxed now waiting for complete end of lock down on 26, all back to normal according to them. , WHO says the same and some of the drug companies looking for test patients cant get enough,China is also sending vital equipment and medial staff to Italy so yes I would say you can believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Every single person who flew from Italy in the last 3 weeks needs to be traced and tested. This would be a good start.

We are playing catch up because of the madness of allowing thousands back without a plan to isolate and test them repeatedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Where's today's cases from I can't find it anywhere...

They have stopped providing a daily breakdown of locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement