Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I feel like different cultures may also play a part. In developed Asian countries things are like:

skynews-beijing-coronavirus_4945031.jpg?20200311151650

While in the west it's more like...:

5e63f264fee23d0935157532?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

A picture of the crowds at Cheltenham today would suffice to demonstrate the difference between China/South Korea vs Western countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Got a text of a friend of mine whose nephew is about to self quarantine (as somebody he knows has tested positive). One thing they are making sure is that neither he nor his mom/family are going anywhere near their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

glasso wrote: »
    do you reckon the travellers are washing their hands 5 times a day?

Probably are with the holy water in church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Dublin is now one of the few airports in Europe with flights and pre-flight clearance for people going to the USA.

We will have people from 'god knows where' in Europe arriving in order to connect to US flights.

I was horrified when I read about how long the virus can survive on hard surfaces, like hand railings and door handles made out of steel or plastic.

I imagine the possibility of cross infections to people staying in Ireland must be significant in Dublin Airport right now.

I hope that Dublin Airport is deep cleaning and sterilizing their hard surfaces as often as possible throughout the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

joe40 wrote: »
    In an Aldi shop this evening and it was a bit silly. Every single bit of fruit and veg gone and 99%of the fresh meat. Food that won't keep, unless an awful lot of people have large fridges.
    Plenty of nuts and dried fruit. Excellent calorie dense food with a long shelf life. Also plenty of brown pasta and rice.
    There will be a lot of food waste next week.
    In case I'm accused of joining the panic I always do a shop on Thur evening just normal shopping. This stockpiling is idiotic, really shows how fragile a society is to any kind of shock.

Definitely, and in my books wasting food is very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

boege wrote: »

To finish in a more positive note, the Italian prime minister indicated today that the extreme quarantine measures implemented in the first two regions in northern Italy have worked and that no new positive cases were recorded today.

Light at the end of a very dark tunnel

natural-light-end-tunnel-260nw-148712276.jpg
    Please support my petition for Super Value Knocknacarra to restock their Graham Norton Sav B and Fitzgerald’s bagels please, thanks

Mod

Anyone caught signing this petition will be site banned immediately!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-panic-buying-the-thing-that-scares-me-is-the-people-1.4201195?mode=amp

Is it just me or do the Irish Times make a supreme effort to find the kippiest areas in Dublin to interview people with the thickest Dublin accents in practically all of their videos?

Is this some peculiar fetish for their readership?

fag in her hand proudly brandishing her stash of bog roll ffs

they probably go there as maybe more people agree to go on camera.

that's my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have you a source for this?
    Everything I am reading still says 1 Death in Ireland

The Independent is still reporting a second coronavirus death, no one else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They have stopped providing a daily breakdown of locations.

If anything they should be giving us more localized breakdown, is the state or fear intentional to make us suspect everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Anyone know how long the public offices will be shut down for? My own workplace and many others beside me evacuated today following Leo's announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

scamalert wrote: »
    i dont get this entire stock up shut down stupidity either, we could have 0 cases or it under control and then it starts spreading again takes one case as we know it now, so even few might be happy about time off, but virus wont go anywhere, and given how it spreads, theres no chance to contain it, as you cant lookup every person coming or going into country for 2 weeks when theres flights coming every 5mins.

we're in the delay phase now, buddy

you're a day behind the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Every single person who flew from Italy in the last 3 weeks needs to be traced and tested. This would be a goos start.

We are playing catch up because of the madness of allowing thousands back without a plan to isolate and test them repeatedly.

Sure 1/3 of them will be over it by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Acosta

Dublin is now one of the few airports in Europe with flights and pre-flight clearance for people going to the USA.

We will have people from 'god knows where' in Europe arriving in order to connect to US flights.

I was horrified when I read about how long the virus can survive on hard surfaces, like hand railings and door handles made out of steel or plastic.

I imagine the possibility of cross infections to people staying in Ireland must be significant in Dublin Airport right now.

I hope that Dublin Airport is deep cleaning and sterilizing their hard surfaces as often as possible throughout the day.

Must have been awful for the staff to hear that news this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Every single person who flew from Italy in the last 3 weeks needs to be traced and tested. This would be a goos start.

We are playing catch up because of the madness of allowing thousands back without a plan to isolate and test them repeatedly.

The mass testing/opportunity (containment) phase has all but passed now.

This is P2: (delay) of peak epidemic: slow and soften the curve.

P3 & P4 to follow in later weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know if dogs or cats can carry this virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I just want to post saying a big sarcastic thank you to all the people who treated anyone taking this seriously like weirdos a week ago.

It's your fault this has spread and will continue to spread, killing people, and making life miserable for a lot of others.

I can say it on here but would really love to say it to a few people's faces i know also who were questioning me as obsessive and maybe i don't get out enough because I used a hand sanitiser last week.

Idiots of Ireland, take a bow

And just to add to your post it was the same people who would not take this serious who are now panic buying.

A herd of mindless sheep.

And we where correct about the HSE downplaying this thing 27 case jump today ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes, the advice is to eat them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

glasso wrote: »
    do you reckon the travellers are washing their hands 5 times a day?

5 times a month more like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

But it wouldn't have been constitutional to stop Italians from travelling here anyway even though the match was postponed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

fritzelly wrote: »
    If doctor suspects you have it then yes you are a candidate for testing

ONLY if you go into a hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The WHO says no

Sorry, you're in the wrong thread. We don't do optimism here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Boggles wrote: »
    Yes, the advice is to eat them immediately.

Hot dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The mass testing/opportunity (containment) phase has all but passed now.

This is P2: (delay) of peak epidemic: slow and soften the curve.

P3 & P4 to follow in later weeks.

What does p3 and p4 entail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Someone posted earlier 10 of their housemates friends arrived from Italy last night. Sleeping bags all over.

That might be a starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mod

Anyone caught signing this petition will be site banned immediately!

What if I add Barry’s tea to the petition :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ther was a YouTube report that some of the wet markets in Asia are still active - unbelievable, given the chaos and destuction they have created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The WHO has commended Ireland for the action and said we wont get fooled again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What does p3 and p4 entail

They stop being nice and asking you to do stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Very low risk. Also the risk of re-infection is 'fairly' low.

This Novel virus is very nasty, when some states predict anything up to 90% population penetration, with upto 5% contextual fatality at W1, it reads like something from a sci-fi book, and not a good one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement