Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭paul71

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What happens when all these curfews and closures come to an end.......will Covid-19 have taken it's ball home in a sulk by then?

Therein lies the answer to the delay in introducing serious containment. Until there is herd immunity from previously infected and recovered population and/or vaccine, it will keep coming back. Meaning that repeated containment efforts will be needed until we obtain that herd immunity.

Early introduction of serious containment for a few infections would be counter production because it would led to fatigue against those containment efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The WHO says no

Won't get Fooled Again

Sorry I had to

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

boege wrote: »

To finish in a more positive note, the Italian prime minister indicated today that the extreme quarantine measures implemented in the first two regions in northern Italy have worked and that no new positive cases were recorded today.

Sauce? Seems unlikely but I can't see figures per region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

How would there be issues yet? The panic buying of food only started today. Issues with the supply chain won’t manifest immediately. The infections are increasing, Next week isn’t going to be better you are aware. People will be panic buying throughout the EU, there are so many factors that will impact supply chains. Do you really not understand what’s coming?

The food supply chain is not going to stop. There is an emergency model already tested in China and Italy where everything stops except Hospitals, power plants, food supply chain and very few other essential things.

Food didnt run out in Wuhan as shown in many videos.
    If anything there will be restrictions on how many people can go out shopping per household

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,149 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bekker wrote: »
    Why is nobody bothering to do the most elementary fact checking before posting?
    google Irish Army

about 5 hours ago.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-defence-forces-personnel-told-to-report-to-barracks-1.4201172

Must be a big delivery of bread coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭davetherave

paul71 wrote: »
    My first impression was why call the entire army into 1 barracks?
    nullzero wrote: »
    So this single page A4 letter was posted out and was never folded?

Lets not worry about why the confidential is in red and yet the branding of the DF logo in the top right, and the strengthen the nation in the top right are in greyscale and not gold.

I'm not sure what is with the alignment either...

Or the fact that it is addressed to "all members of the defence force" when it is the Defence Forces,

Or the fact that there is generally no colon used in the 24 hour clock.

Or that it is a roll mat and not a roll mate, unless it's time to cosy up to your battle buddy. :)

As a final note Mark Mellett usually goes by COS (Chief of Staff) not COF (Commander of Forces? Captain of Firefights? Controller of Firearms? Chief-Dicky-Duh-Dah of the Order of Freemasons? )

Definitely seems legit to me.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Can't justify that your employer. The morale will be terrible and imagine if someone who could work remote infected everyone.

I think a lot of employers won't get it until it hits closer to home sadly.

Feels like they are nearly waiting for a staff member to get it before they pull the trigger and let staff work remotely.

Morale ain’t good and I don’t blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

BT CEO Philip Jansen tests positive for coronavirus

Mr Jansen said in a statement: "Having felt slightly unwell I decided as a precaution to be tested.

"As soon as the test results were known I isolated myself at home."

spookwoman wrote: »
    My generation has seen CJD, Foot and mouth, and now this. There are probably a few more from mid 70's to now but was there anything before

Might want to look up a little thing called The Spanish Flu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

owlbethere wrote: »
    TB

But none that I can remember that brought to county to a stop nearly.
    BDE /CJD and foot and mouth was terrible but most folk it did not affect. This is like something out of a movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Anyone know if dogs or cats can carry this virus?

World Healt Organisation says no need to quarantine domestic animals.

WHO let the dogs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Why did you have to show this to me when I’ve about seven wines in me. Not able

I know, right?

I mean, a Maltesers Easter egg. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just remember who can be left with nothing when they need it the most...

ES74OynXQA4lUEN?format=jpg&name=small

Feckin right - can't believe that awl biddy is taking the last of the stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You’re same generation as me so.

This is BY FAR the worst of all the ones you’ve mentioned.

I was in Lidl today (I normally shop on Thursday) and I was trolley 12 all checkouts a go go. I found my eyes filling with tears watching all the old people, alone, wandering round with one loaf of bread in a basket looking bewildered and they’ve all lived through worse than we have.
    Ok that last part....it would bring a tear to a glass eye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just remember who can be left with nothing when they need it the most...

What if it's her seventh shop that day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

milhous wrote: »
    Sauce? Seems unlikely but I can't see figures per region.

It is true
    Lock down is the only way and it works, and thank god for that
    it worked in Wuhan, it worked in the first Italian cluster Codogno (0 new infections). Once people stops transmitting the virus to one another the count of new infected decreases and it eventually stops

sterz wrote: »
    Bumping this as it's only bit of positive news I've read all day and others might have missed it. That's if the claims made by Di Maio are indeed true.

The problem is yes indeed as no one could enter of leave yes there should be no more cases the problem starts if they go to a place where there is the virus and bring it back to the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok that last part....it would bring a tear to a glass eye!

Haven't heard that one in years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The food supply chain is not going to stop. There is an emergency model already tested in China and Italy where everything stops except Hospitals, power plants, food supply chain and very few other essential things.

Food didnt run out in Wuhan as shown in many videos.
    If anything there will be restrictions on how many people can go out shopping per household

None of those places are completely surrounded by water and relying on ships or planes to restock their supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

lfen wrote: »
    I work in an office with 200 people. We are to go to work as normal even though they are probably 60-80 people who could work from home. Thoughts on this?

Doesn't make any sense. What's the point in those people having remote access if they're not being told to use it in these circumstances?

We've been told that where possible, we should work from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Do we know what P3 & p4 will be ? Or is it a case to see how Italy fairs out ?
    Best advice for the moment would be to gradually adjust to P2, isolate and gradually prepare for other likely outcomes towards peak conditions later during mid-late April.

Simply means normal society would be on hold for a couple of weeks either side of peak, but by July it will be mostly over, August may even see a rebirth of markets, industry and society.

At no stage will water or electricty go off, and essential food items will always be available for collection even from smallest of towns. Any sort of panic won't be required, simply a very temporary adjustment of normality.

No harm in contacting relatives and getting to know neighbours in the coming weeks, community will be the most important, and benefical factor for the short time when things are at their very worst.

Once slightly tricky thing to consider, is that anyone of the very few 'falling' to this virus, won't have the normal traditional send-off or services available, due to high risk of contanimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

That was me today, I had to get veggie stuff which sold out everywhere, was in and out in 15 minutes and it was at around 11.15am so just as the announcement was made. I used the self service desk to minimise any other exposure.

Luckily had done a big shop yesterday. Will be hitting up my local Maxol for milk and bread when needed so as to avoid the large shops. And doing either a late night or early morning shop for other things like fresh veg and fruit.

Genuine question. Any point in going at night??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Why did you have to show this to me when I’ve about seven wines in me. Not able

Wine gums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

lfen wrote: »
    I work in an office with 200 people. We are to go to work as normal even though they are probably 60-80 people who could work from home. Thoughts on this?

Tell your boss and cc HR that you are working from home and its their business if they want to fire you.

10 minutes later watch your HR department advise anyone who can work from home.

There should be legislation to protect anyone who wants to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Guys a bit of advice or your opinion needed here. I'm a carer for my mother. ,She has COPD. She's in a wheelchair and I need to hoist her in and out of bed every day, make her meals,wash,change nappy etc. I do it 7 days a week and I have a home help helping me in the morning and takes over in evening. I told my parents (my elderly father also has his health issues) that for the next couple of weeks I wanted to take over the duties on my own and stop the homehelps coming in. There's six of them in rotation , just to be on the safe side,my parents are against it and said no because the women will lose their pay but I'm more concerned about them. What should I do here? What would ye do?

New Home wrote: »
    None of those places are completely surrounded by water and relying on ships or planes to restock their supplies.
    Do we not produce any food of our own in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

This fella could make a fortune over the next few weeks

https://www.manna.aero/

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Lets not worry about why the confidential is in red and yet the branding of the DF logo in the top right, and the strengthen the nation in the top right are in greyscale and not gold.

I'm not sure what is with the alignment either...

Or the fact that it is addressed to "all members of the defence force" when it is the Defence Forces,

Or the fact that there is generally no colon used in the 24 hour clock.

Or that it is a roll mat and not a roll mate, unless it's time to cosy up to your battle buddy. :)

As a final note Mark Mellett usually goes by COS (Chief of Staff) not COF (Commander of Forces? Captain of Firefights? Controller of Firearms? Chief-Dicky-Duh-Dah of the Order of Freemasons? )

Definitely seems legit to me.... :pac:
    Is this a fake too?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

dan786 wrote: »
    BT CEO Philip Jansen tests positive for coronavirus

Mr Jansen said in a statement: "Having felt slightly unwell I decided as a precaution to be tested.

"As soon as the test results were known I isolated myself at home."

Just curious, in the UK can you just decide you want to be tested if you are feeling unwell?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

paul71 wrote: »
    Most people here are too young to get the reference ;)
    Those from My Generation will though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement