Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

leahyl wrote: »
    My anxiety is through the roof because of this thread and the media in general....and yet, here I am :pac:

Same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Irish Times now saying criteria for testing is being extended to include those with symptoms who haven't travelled. Numbers are set to increase.

I've got a very bad feeling about this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think I would prefer if half as many resources were put into preventing the next pandemic, I feel the ship has sailed(cringe) on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Brits aren't taking this even remotely serious.

Germany cancelled a Professional Darts Corporation event in Leverkusen at the end of the month, so the Brits have just announced an extra PDC tournament for the same weekend.

The typical darts player and fan has been fortified by a lifetime of warm beer. Impossible to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It does work. No doubt about it.

But what happens when they return to normal?

Will the virus start up again? Back to square 1.

Well we have China as a real world exemple so we will see how it works out.

For now their strategy sees to be working:
    - gradually and slowly removing the most restrictive measures
    - keeping to wear masks in public and enforcing basic hygiene/social distancing rules
    - implementation of quarantines for people entering non-endemic areas from endemic areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

flynnlives wrote: »
    So Poland have decided to close all schools, universities and public buildings from today for 2 weeks.

They have 25 reported cases.

We have 52 on the island and the first death. Yet nothing has happened!

Authoritarian governments love to find excuses to flex their muscles. First it was the judiciary, now they've found an excuse to tackle centres of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Irish Times now saying criteria for testing is being extended to include those with symptoms who haven't travelled. Numbers are set to increase.

This, in a way, is okay.

They have been prepping this for the last few days; will probably hit the weekend before they advise school closures; if they do that it'd have to be as part of a package of measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

timmyntc wrote: »
    Do as China does, quarantine all visitors from abroad on entry.

It would mean business as usual (mostly) inside Ireland - we'll all have to holiday in Ireland over the summer though :eek:

Well, with tourism down there will be plenty of accommodation …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Have the government given us any extra information on their plans to increase ICU capacity, other than the paltry extra 20 beds?

If we assume that with reorganisation of the health system we can currently take 50 patients into ICU, and apply a conservative estimate that 5% of all cases require ICU, that means we can afford to have 1,000 cases at any given time without being forced to triage.

People remain infected for anywhere up to 4 weeks - so our daily case load will have to remain below 35 a day under those assumptions to avoid a spike in mortality from the virus.

We are told the HSE can't deny that they are projecting that 1.9 million people might get it, so unless they have a magic plan to ensure that the 1.9 million people are infected at a constant rate over the next 158 years the current ICU capacity will result in a lot of triage.

Informing the public of plans to increase ICU capacity is a good way to reduce panic, feeding us rubbish about the effectiveness of 'containment' is a good way to increase panic.

The public deserves a lot more transparency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

quokula wrote: »
    Authoritarian governments love to find excuses to flex their muscles. First it was the judiciary, now they've found an excuse to tackle centres of education.

So what are they doing exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

So Poland have decided to close all schools, universities and public buildings from today for 2 weeks.

Because we are "governed" by idiots advised by "experts" who have no clue what they are doing.

The schools need to be closed.
    All sports events need to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody who has elderly relatives REALLY REALLY need to be so careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

DrumSteve wrote: »
    They never needed to cancel any flights; they only ever needed to implement a quarantine. Which they didn't.

I honestly feel that jail time for whoever failed to do this should be on the cards. This was recklessness to the point where manslaughter could be argued imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

BloodBath wrote: »
    How would you not be anxious with the amount of misinformation and overblown BS on this thread.

Post 9738

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112793010#post112793010

• Registered Users Posts: 86,723 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Yes, im aware of that.

However the US is a vast country and quarantine measures wont be implemented.
    But there's this in New Rochelle, NY -- on lockdown now.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/new-rochelle-coronavirus/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Where?

RIP

Dublin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BloodBath wrote: »
    How would you not be anxious with the amount of misinformation and overblown BS on this thread.

Because while there is some who are screaming the sky is falling, the reality is there’s actually quite a lot to worry about.

It’s not a normal flu. They don’t close schools, they don’t cancel events, they don’t cancel the football leagues for a minor illness.

Look at how so many top governments are reacting, how top businesses are reacting.

This is serious. Look at how serious those in power are taking it, and realize that while panic is not good, an acceptance of the damage this will cause is needed.

I despise Leo Varadker. Think he’s a walking PR machine, and he constantly downplays crisis.

And even he’s saying half of us will get this, and refusing to deny thousands will die. And he absolutely would if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Where?

RIP
    As per article in the east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Where?

RIP

Literally says where in the subheadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

gabeeg wrote: »
    I've got a very bad feeling about this

I actually feel much better about them being spotted and treated/isolated as compared to them not being tested and told "you're probably grand" and therefore allowing it to spread untraced throughout the community. Yes, it will appear worse at first but its an essential step in cracking down on the numbers actually impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nthclare wrote: »
    I hope not to be honest.

If you take care to stay away from any people, fine, maybe to a very quiet place at a very quiet time I think it is discretionary

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because while there is some who are screaming the sky is falling, the reality is there’s actually quite a lot to worry about.

It’s not a normal flu. They don’t close schools, they don’t cancel events, they don’t cancel the football leagues for a minor illness.

Look at how so many top governments are reacting, how top businesses are reacting.

This is serious. Look at how serious those in power are taking it, and realize that while panic is not good, an acceptance of the damage this will cause is needed.

I despise Leo Varadker. Think he’s a walking PR machine, and he constantly downplays crisis.

And even he’s saying half of us will get this, and refusing to deny thousands will die. And he absolutely would if he could.
    Ok I am sorry but RE Leo as poor as he is IMO you can't say he has downplayed this quite the opposite...he said he thought 50/60 percent of the population could end up catching this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Steve F wrote: »
    Just says "Elderly"
    What do we term as elderly?

I would say 70+.
    My son would say anyone over 13.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I wonder could old people refused euthanasia in this country, travel to Italy now and let nature take it's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lord TSC wrote: »

While I don't think thousands will die (mainly due to the fact the country will go into voluntary isolation once a few people die); there is a part of me thinking they are saying these figures to get people to wake up to the seriousness of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Poland likes flexing its control on its citizens . You can’t even wash your car at home there . Or cut down a tree in your garden without Govt approval .
    I wouldn’t look to them as a guide on best practice .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Number of posts here are lessening. Corona virus fatigue before it's even started.
    They are not lessening in particular - we are simply seeing a flattening of the curve....

(BTW I reckon on Monday we saw the highest number of posts in CA in a single day at 4,062, with 3,544 of them in the Coronavirus V thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

'It will take some time for RTE journalists to adjust to remote working. Most of us have never remotely worked before.'

ESyYoJpU8AEE67Z?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement