Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do we not produce any food of our own in Ireland?

Do you ever look at the origin of the fruit and veg in the shops? And that's only one category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

spookwoman wrote: »
    What I getting at is the restriction of movement and telling people to basically stay at home and try to keep away from other people.

Apart from the Spanish Flu a hundred yrs ago.
    We have not encountered a virus with this level of spread, mortality and hang time in multiple environments.

Most of the other "terror" diseases such as Ebola, SARS and MERS whilst being far more deadly.
    Kill their hosts quickly, they rapidly become apparent to health workers and can be locked down with relatively little spread.

Covid-19 kills far fewer of its infected, spreads far easier and is quite attritional in that many of the infected will require a high level of care.

It ties up huge amounts of healthcare resources in the initial infection wave.
    Those resources can be tied up for 3 weeks, meaning those infected later have no access to ventilation or ecdmo.

Thus the later you are infected, if you are in a high risk group the more likely you are to die.

It's an ideal weapon in a military sense.
    Most generals would rather wound multiple enemy soldiers than kill them.
    Wounded soldiers tie up resources, dead ones get a body bag.
    Wonder ones get medevac, ambulance care, hospital care all taking resources away from the enemy.

That is where we are at with Covid-19 IMO.
    It is trying to tie up our ability to fight it by overwhelming our health services.
    Slowing the spread means we can manage the resources and save more lives.

Never before have we encountered a pandemic like this where the medical knowledge has been available to us to actually interrupt that spread and slow it.

They need to tell people it's because the hospitals couldn't cope if it gets out of hand.

The medical staff need the public to help and do their bit too.

Many people think ah sure if I catch it its only the flu.

And are just acting as usual.

That's true but it's about vulnerable people in hospitals when beds are scarce.

So few people actually catch the flu....its debilitating enough on its own

Most people who normally think theyve the flu,its usually a cold is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Im afraid it wont. It could be a week or more before we see if the closures make a difference

The really bad pneumonia kicks in about day 9 so if in 10 or 11 days the ICU units are not overstretched then we will hopefully have a handle on it. Could be a few months before we see the last of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

wylo wrote: »
    After today's panic shopping crowds gathering together in supermarkets I've lost hope that we can handle this without the force of law.

I think a full blown lockdown is not only necessary now but inevitable.

If it took you until today to realise this well then welcome to reality.

Society and law and order are fragile, they always were.

Rule of law can easily break down, human nature takes over when people are scared and feel threatened.

I fear this more than any coronavirus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

anyone know whats happening with that cruise ship that docked in atlanta ?
    do those numbers get added on to u.s. total ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

The Garda Commissioner is due to announce a special policing plan tomorrow to help deal with the crisis

Additional gardaí are to be deployed to support businesses and the public and trainee gardaí from Templemore are to be used for high visibility policing

RTÉ News has also learned that the Garda College in Templemore is also to be made available as a medical centre for the Midlands in the event of large numbers of people requiring treatment for the coronavirus.

The gardaí have set up a National Co-ordination Centre reporting to the Deputy Commissioner and are finalising their policing plans in response to the coronavirus.

Extra gardaí are to be deployed around businesses such as supermarkets and chemists to provide reassurance and support to business and the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Monday UK and Ireland will go into lockdown.

Brave man to bet against it, but people are forgetting even in Italy you can still go food shopping and the chemist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mr.S wrote: »
    What’s a full blown lockdown though? This ain’t China!

Even in Italy people can walk around?
    The Taiwan model would be the best bet, but that wouldn't work here or with the Irish. Yeah folks in Italy can walk about but they're restricted and bars and cafes libraries, museums and the like are closed. It'll be interesting to see how this starts to affect new cases in Italy. I'd hope for a plateau or even a downturn. Maybe by next week, the week after?

In a hypothetical total lock down the disease would plateau quickly and as it ran out of people to widely infect would start to fade away. Almost impossible in practice, but societies could get half way there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

New Home wrote: »
    Do you ever look at the origin of the fruit and veg in the shops? And that's only one category.

You're set on continuing to scaremonger about food shortages, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Happy4all wrote: »
    what have they done:confused:
    Slowly introduce measures that the rest of the world are rushing to introduce.

Their chief medical officer said schools would have to close for 14-16 weeks for it to make a difference.

Slow the spread, let the herd immunity develop. Dont lockdown, so that when the lockdown is lifted it will just start over again.

Sadly people will die.

IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Could I get people’s opinions. 2 year old has a very high temp today -39, unusual for him & he’s out of sorts waking up crying for water. If keeping him away from grandparents completely OTT when we haven’t been exposed to anyone with coronavirus that we know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭paul71

Guys can anyone confirm if the Churches have cancelled religious services. I asked my mother who is in her 70s not to go to Mass for a few weeks and she expressed reluctance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will they have Gardai up from Templemore with metre sticks measuring the gap between people stays at 1 metre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some pubs putting in plans to try to limit numbers. I doubt if all have that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Could I get people’s opinions. 2 year old has a very high temp today -39, unusual for him & he’s out of sorts waking up crying for water. If keeping him away from grandparents completely OTT when we haven’t been exposed to anyone with coronavirus that we know of.
    Age are they and in good health?

Oh and sorry but hopefully he's ok. Im sure he is. Kids are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing in a few places in the Far East. Africa too. A lot of the worldwide viruses came from such sources. The seasonal flus, even HIV. It's actually hard to recall which ones didn't. If after this massive shock to the world such markets aren't stamped out and hard, then I don't know what to think.

The manflu, originated somewhere near manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Longing

Ring doctor on call. If your own GP is not available at this time of day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

wylo wrote: »
    After today's panic shopping crowds gathering together in supermarkets I've lost hope that we can handle this without the force of law.

I think a full blown lockdown is not only necessary now but inevitable.

Bring in the scoops..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

22 cases today were described as local transmission, while 2 were described as community.

Anybody know the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

No they weren't, they were in a hospital in a Dublin.

People need to start getting facts right and stop spreading fake news which seems to be more contagious and harmful to society than the virus itself.

She died in Naas General according to the Irish Times. No mention of her having been in a Dublin hospital.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/public-told-to-limit-social-contacts-following-first-covid-19-death-1.4200305?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I thought it was patronizing to the women if I’m honest. She’s just doing her shopping. Maybe she got what she needs.

Just give over. You made a very flippant remark aimed right toward an elderly lady shopping from almost empty shelves.

Think of her of symbol of a generation that sacrificed a lot and helped build modern Ireland and the things people like you take for granted and probably dont value.

If you and the others that made smart and snide comments on that woman are the future of this country, then we really are doomed.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Taiwan model would be the best bet, but that wouldn't work here or with the Irish. Yeah folks in Italy can walk about but they're restricted and bars and cafes libraries, museums and the like are closed. It'll be interesting to see how this starts to affect new cases in Italy. I'd hope for a plateau or even a downturn. Maybe by next week, the week after?

In a hypothetical total lock down the disease would plateau quickly and as it ran out of people to widely infect would start to fade away. Almost impossible in practice, but societies could get half way there.

New cases in 1st locked down towns in italy are stopped/slowed down alot,this is why they made it for whole country

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51852320
    However, Mr Di Maio told the BBC the measures imposed in the first area of the outbreak were proving effective.

Two weeks after the first 10 towns in northern Italy were declared a "red zone" and put under lockdown, he said they had no new infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Unfortunately we can't give any medical advice because there is a very high chance that the advise is wrong :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,384 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Keep him away from them. Why take the risk??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

This is probably the wrong forum. I’ve two 17 month olds. If I were you I’d do the usual fever reduction measures and ring your nurse line if concerned. Or your out of hours doc service who will advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

paul71 wrote: »
    Guys can anyone confirm if the Churches have cancelled religious services. I asked my mother who is in her 70s not to go to Mass for a few weeks and she expressed reluctance.

Depends on the church I guess.

All Islamic mosques have stopped Friday prayers from tomorrow after today's announcement. Friday prayers are where you would expect large gatherings opposed to other days/prayers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement