Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Germany are doing a great job in terms of preventing deaths. 6 deaths out of 2,700 is some going in comparison to other countries.

Funny how none on here seems to want to quite that mortality rate. Those numbers make it pretty comparable to flu (gets popcorn...)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

When do people anticipate that most offices will lift their work from home policies? It has to be post-peak, and the sad thing is, even then it is going to cause a regression and we could be back to square one. Granted, we can slow the spread, but from an economic point of view, could we have this productivity hit due to working from home for the entirety of 2020 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭daheff

Dr Cathal Berry TD says army doesn't have any field hospitals https://twitter.com/BerryCathal/status/1237293703993180160

I saw this on Facebook. Stupid self serving comment. The government has limited funds available. Should they buy field hospitals (short term temporary capacity) instead of investing directly into the HSE and add permanent capacity.

Obviously this isn't the exact trade off the government had...but it's a similar one.

We don't need an army field hospital. We need extra hospital beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What if you can not make it on those hours

go with the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,384 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No touching hands

3scy2k.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭smallgarden

haydoyo wrote: »
    Really wish the supermarkets would only allow the over 65's in for the first three hours they open or those with an underlying illness.

Let the people who really need stuff in first.
    I'd love to see them having dedicated slots for them for online shopping too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Slow sets be banned at discos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Jesus relax. I just felt the picture was a bit too overly somber, the women has stuff in her trolley. It’s not ideal, but she has more than I have. She’s old, I don’t believe making her old makes her vulnerable. Maybe she would have stockpiled and hoarded food too.

When you are in a hole stop digging.

You're posts come across and very selfish and nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Why are Germany doing so well? I think the UK are following their example. Hoping their younger population can absorb the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

fritzelly wrote: »
    Local means they know the chain of infection, not necessarily family/friends, worker in a cafe - e.g. the doctor who was infected, if people he saw test positive then he is the (likely) local transmission

Yeah i get the meaning, but in majority of cases i would have thought it would be transmitted among family/friends of the case, and healthcare workers who have had contact with cases, at least in the early stages.... not necessarily limited to those, if that makes sense, but more likely. But now that you mention the doctor who had been treating people etc, i guess not! Naive to think that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It is relatively easy to announce restricting measures to try try to slow down the spread of the virus, but in what circumstances can those restrictions be lifted.
    From what I’ve gleaned from the medical experts is that this virus could be around for a very long time. Slowing down the spread also has the effect of prolonging the period that the restrictions have to be kept in place.
    Does any one really believe that the schools will reopen in a few weeks or that the other measures will be reversed any time soon?
    This is going to be a long crisis that has the potential to cause a global recession far worse than the one that we have just emerged from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

She’s not helpless. Fair play to her getting out and about and taking on the great unwashed. Something about her looks classy and dignified in the leftover chaos of empty shelves left over

Stay clssy there and put the phone away/log off before you make an even bigger fool of yourself here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Went out for a small walk and a load of students out drinking. Could see them walking around going to apartments with cans and standing outside one of the local pubs. I was like, bloody idiots.

Why are Germany doing so well? I think the UK are following their example. Hoping their younger population can absorb the damage.

What do you mean by absorbing damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Stay clssy there and put the phone away/log off before you make an even bigger fool of yourself here.

Apologies that I have offended you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

What if you can not make it on those hours

Sure its impossible to accommodate everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Funny how none on here seems to want to quite that mortality rate. Those numbers make it pretty comparable to flu (gets popcorn...)

98.9% of the cases in Germany are still classified as active. Best to keep the aul champagne on ice for another bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

*removes popcorn and glares sullenly*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

Stheno wrote: »
    So 90 infected cases confirmed today

With a quadrupling of cases each week

March 19 -360
    March 26 - 1440

That's two weeks from now and hopefully today's measures slow it

20% needing hospitalization would be 288 in two weeks and 25% of those needing critical care which is 80 ICU beds

We're fcked aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

1 - Water
    2 - Food
    3 - Security
    4 - Waste

I betting not many have considered 3 or 4, too busy buying loo roll.

We are so used to having everything so convenient and readily available that any interruption to usual service creates big waves.

Maybe after this we might try to be more self sufficient. I hope so.

Again, we can look to

Hong Kong
    Singapore
    Thailand
    Taiwan
    Vietnam

Has rule of law broken down in any of these countries? Did the lights go out? Half of all Hong Kong's cases have already recovered. Vietnam got 39 cases in total, almost half of whom have recovered. They started preparing once they heard about the epidemic in China back last December. The only danger posed to them is being reinfected by feckless Europeans!

Vietnam even released a catchy song about Covid-19

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    98.9% of the cases in Germany are still classified as active. Best to keep the aul champagne on ice for another bit.

Boards glass is always half empty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Anyone know if dogs or cats can carry this virus?

They can't get the virus but if someone that has the virus pets them and then you do then they can carry it that way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ITman88 wrote: »
    Human nature dictates the strongest will survive best, ie those able to compete for food more efficiently
    Actually it's generally much more about those with the largest social networks. The hermits and shut ins are more vulnerable. Though in the case of contagion that flips around for obvious reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

YFlyer wrote: »

Droppin the hand still ok , but throwing the head a definite no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It is relatively easy to announce restricting measures to try try to slow down the spread of the virus, but in what circumstances can those restrictions be lifted.
    From what I’ve gleaned from the medical experts is that this virus could be around for a very long time. Slowing down the spread also has the effect of prolonging the period that the restrictions have to be kept in place.
    Does any one really believe that the schools will reopen in a few weeks or that the other measures will be reversed any time soon?
    This is going to be a long crisis that has the potential to cause a global recession far worse than the one that we have just emerged from.

The schools will be closed till at least after the Easter break. Recession yes, but we’re all gonna be the same with that. In positive news, all this disruption/ shut down and work from home will give Mother Earth a break. And maybe that’s exactly the reason why we have coronavirus, the earth finding a way to rebalance things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

YFlyer wrote: »

leave enough room for the holy spirit,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

titan18 wrote: »
    Went out for a small walk and a load of students out drinking. Could see them walking around going to apartments with cans and standing outside one of the local pubs. I was like, bloody idiots.

Can't say I blame 'em, we'll be lucky to come out of here with our lives!

OUR LIVES MARTIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭trashcan

No touching hands

3scy2k.gif

Not even Neil Diamond ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Needed milk on the way home today and thankfully there was still plenty of skimmed milk, all others sold out. No bread, pasta, veg, fruit, meat etc....

I picked up a few bits and asked the poor fella at the till what was earlier like, and he said it was chaos. I asked him what was his highest bill, and one "lady" filled two trolleys with 280 euros worth of stuff....

People are pricks, looking out for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hands, touching hands
    Reaching out, touching me, touching you

giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement