Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick calculation of current reported (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 320 per million (pop 340,000)
    Italy 212
    South Korea 146
    Norway 144
    Denmark 116
    Switzerland 100
    Qatar 99
    Iran 76
    Sweden 68
    Spain 61
    France 42
    Austria 39
    Netherlands 35
    Belgium 35
    Germany 32
    Finland 20
    Singapore 16
    Ireland 14
    Estonia 14
    China 11
    Czech Republic 11
    UK 8
    Portugal 7
    USA 5
    Australia 5
    Japan 4
    Canada 3
    Poland 1
    New Zealand 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭paul71

Would anyone have an idea as to why the mortality rate from the virus is 0.8% in South Korea and over 6% in Italy? That’s an enormous difference. Thanks folk!

Age profile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

22 cases today were described as local transmission, while 2 were described as community.

Anybody know the difference?

Local transmission means the person's source of infection has been identified. Community transmission means their source of infection has not been identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just remember who can be left with nothing when they need it the most...

ES74OynXQA4lUEN?format=jpg&name=small

Thanks for posting. Called my Dad to make sure my nana is looked after. I'll drop down supplies daily if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Funny how none on here seems to want to quite that mortality rate. Those numbers make it pretty comparable to flu (gets popcorn...)

Triggered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

What are sports channels going to do?

Serious question - can anyone who has sports channels tell me what they're planning?

re-runs of Italia '90

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

Serious question - can anyone who has sports channels tell me what they're planning?

Nothing, might stock up on bog roll and pasta. Might knock some price off it if people try to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

Is everyone aware they did an experiment a few days ago mimicking the actions of someone with the novel starins of corona virus and found it to be hanging in the air after a cough or breathing outward with any force as per normal conversation FOR 6 HOURS.

This basically means the virus is airborne, especially when you consider high trafficked areas like walkways and classrooms etc.

Why on earth was this not shared immediately? Are they trying to prevent hysteria or something? Or is it still all a result of the people who slagged everyone else off if they used a hand sanitiser a week ago, arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

The Players Championship being played behind closed doors the rest of the weekend as well as all other PGA Tour events in March.
    Record TV audiences available they'll be slow to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

a9bae2d58387153a.jpg?1584048599

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

briany wrote: »
    Dear god, someone please think of the sports channels.

Hey I was just curious.

I saw someone earlier moaning about how the latest The Fast and the Furious movie release date was being pushed back due to the corona virus. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Is it just me or is there a lot of politicians and high ranking ones catching this virus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Light hearted point.

I believe all PL games are being streamed to customers free of charge this weekend and pubs wont be allowed to show them.

I have to say fair play to the PL if this is true. Doing their small part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's also being shared on here of the old lady in the supermarket with the empty shelves.
    I've seen this shared online and either them or their parents were in town buying loads of stuff up Today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is everyone aware they did an experiment a few days ago mimicking the actions of someone with the novel starins of corona virus and found it to be hanging in the air after a cough or breathing outward with any force as per normal conversation FOR 6 HOURS.

This basically means the virus is airborne, especially when you consider high trafficked areas like walkways and classrooms etc.

Why on earth was this not shared immediately? Are they trying to prevent hysteria or something? Or is it still all a result of the people who slagged everyone else off if they used a hand sanitiser a week ago, arseholes
    Source? As in actual health professionals saying this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Who is they?

Your answer will determine whether it is horse**** or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Link? Co-worker is heading to the one in Paris for Paddy's day so she's nervous it will close...

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/disneyland-theme-parks-to-close-in-anaheim-starting-friday-because-of-coronavirus-concerns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Belgium goes much further than France

all these measures apply 3 April:

• stop to all leisure and sport activities
    • closing schools, universities, restaurants and bars
    • non essential shops open only weekdays
    • essential shops (food and chemists) open weekdays and Saturdays
    • public transport business as usual
    • creches stay open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The picture of that old lady at the empty shelves has broke my heart. Anyone know where it was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Accepted. Just because its anonymous here does not make it right to slag off elderly or vulnernable people. Some of whom wont make through this and deserve every bit of assistance and support. It beyond md offensive to see them as collateral damage in the stampede for limited food and personal hygene products.

On reflection, hold my hands up. I don’t have grannies or grandads and my mum and dad died young so it’s hard for me to connect, but am imagining my granny now in who I only now vaguely remember in such a situation. Then I forgot that it’s one thing the shops being stocked up again soon but as the rates spread, old people like the women in the picture, won’t want or and ought not to risk areas such as a supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is it just me or is there a lot of politicians and high ranking ones catching this virus?

I think the infection is way, way more widespread than we know, because we aren’t mass testing.

The rich and powerful are able to get tested right now, ahead of the normal pleb, and so we are hearing more of their results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

otnomart wrote: »
    Belgium goes much further than France

all these measures apply 3 April:

• stop to all leisure and sport activities
    • closing schools, universities, restaurants and bars
    • non essential shops open only weekdays
    • essential shops (food and chemists) open weekdays and Saturdays
    • public transport business as usual
    • creches stay open

That's proper measures ours is half arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Im in shock that anyone believes vietnam only got 39 cases. Or that China is in some sort of recovery. Lads come on.

Its not really taking hold in the warmer parts of South East Asia after initial cases so it's probably not as bad in Vietnam either.

As for China they have closed all the makeshift hospitals and Xi visited Wuhan just the other day. That in itself should tell you it's under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hey I was just curious.

I saw someone earlier moaning about how the latest The Fast and the Furious movie release date was being pushed back due to the corona virus. :p

Fast and furious definitely ok for re-runs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hey I was just curious.

My boss was nearly crying about James Bond, now he's on holiday in Spain, won't see him for a few weeks I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lots of clubs closing or restricting numbers to government advice

https://lovindublin.com/pubs/copper-face-jacks-closing-for-17-nights-following-government-advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Local transmission means the person's source of infection has been identified. Community transmission means their source of infection has not been identified.

I wonder how many of the local transmissions took place in hospitals?
    Hospitals are going to become the most dangerous places to be in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The picture of that old lady at the empty shelves has broke my heart. Anyone know where it was taken?

I can clearly see its photoshopped buts that not the point of it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Light hearted point.

I believe all PL games are being streamed to customers free of charge this weekend and pubs wont be allowed to show them.

I have to say fair play to the PL if this is true. Doing their small part.

I believe this might be fake news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Anyone for a sing song

Why not?

We'll meet again, don't know where don't know when but I'll know we'll meet again some sunny day..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KodNFsP6r88

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement