Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I wonder could old people refused euthanasia in this country, travel to Italy now and let nature take it's course.

WOW, That's bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    How long are people willing to delude themseves with the flue coomparisons?

It's not meant as a comparison with the flu but an insight into mortality rates specific to infections, in Italy, that affect older people. Believe me I'm far from deluded and not comparing this particular virus to Flu. Italy's record on deaths due to viral infections in their older population is the point at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wonder could old people refused euthanasia in this country, travel to Italy now and let nature take it's course.
    Er ok...that is dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Isn't euthanasia supposed to be about dying quickly with as little suffering as possible, don't sound like COVID19 to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

They dont have to go anywhere at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

DrumSteve wrote: »
    While I don't think thousands will die (mainly due to the fact the country will go into voluntary isolation once a few people die); there is a part of me thinking they are saying these figures to get people to wake up to the seriousness of this situation.

Agree... I think there is a point at which people will worry, and just not leave the house unless absolutely necessary. I would say maybe 500+ cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I actually feel much better about them being spotted and treated/isolated as compared to them not being tested and told "you're probably grand" and therefore allowing it to spread untraced throughout the community. Yes, it will appear worse at first but its an essential step in cracking down on the numbers actually impacted.

I completely agree, I'm just worried about the true number

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Have the government given us any extra information on their plans to increase ICU capacity, other than the paltry extra 20 beds?

If we assume that with reorganisation of the health system we can currently take 50 patients into ICU, and apply a conservative estimate that 5% of all cases require ICU, that means we can afford to have 1,000 cases at any given time without being forced to triage.

I think one problem will be to source medical ventilators if we want to increase ICU capacity. This seems to be the most critical piece of equipment required to keep patients alive and many counties will be looking at procuring a lot of them all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

First Irish death - Female in the East of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Because while there is some who are screaming the sky is falling, the reality is there’s actually quite a lot to worry about.

It’s not a normal flu. They don’t close schools, they don’t cancel events, they don’t cancel the football leagues for a minor illness.

Look at how so many top governments are reacting, how top businesses are reacting.

This is serious. Look at how serious those in power are taking it, and realize that while panic is not good, an acceptance of the damage this will cause is needed.

I despise Leo Varadker. Think he’s a walking PR machine, and he constantly downplays crisis.

And even he’s saying half of us will get this, and refusing to deny thousands will die. And he absolutely would if he could.

Well no **** Sherlock. Most sensible people are concerned and taking measures to protect themselves and their familys. Did I ever say it was a normal Flu? Nope.

Bollocks Leo doesn't know a fecking thing and there have been hundreds of bad models and science surrounding this virus taken as fact without any peer review or revelation of the process of the model.

I don't buy this 50-70% infection rate. There is a lot of assumptions being made to come up with a figure like that. It's bad science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok I am sorry but RE Leo as poor as he is IMO you can't say he has downplayed this quiet the opposite...he said he thought 50/60 percent of the population could end up catching this

I’m not saying he’s downplayed this.

I’m saying I feel he downplays stuff in general. Homelessness, health, employment.

But on this, he refuses to deny the figures about half of us catching, and the possibility of 100k dead. He, who downplays everything, either...

1. Hasn’t downplayed this, despite his tendency to do so, in which case we need to take those figures seriously.
    2. HAS downplayed this with those figures (which is actually the nightmare scenario).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What else do you wonder about White Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JMNolan wrote: »
    Are you supposed to panic if you're on the coast where the warning wasnt needed?

No one panics in these warnings. Just be aware and take precautions. And the disappointed are as they are because they hoped for a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Thats really sad the person who passed away,

I wonder what the the same person from Cork transferred up to Dublin who was extremely ill from previous conditions who was tested really late ?

Graces7 wrote: »
    No one panics in these warnings. Just be aware and take precautions. And the disappointed are as they are because they hoped for a storm.

Don't start this ****e Grace

Serious matters at hand

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

15:40
    A female patient with an underlying illness who contracted Covid-19 has died in the east of the country.:(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The Pope and Jesus in the same thread

We're fcuked

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thats really sad the person who passed away,

I wonder what the the same person from Cork transferred up to Dublin who was extremely ill from previous conditions who was tested really late ?

Don't think so, isn't that patient male?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pc7 wrote: »
    Fear?

Denial; which is yes fear. As long as they don't "see" it is does not exist, or so they hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,723 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gmisk wrote: »
    As per article in the east

Ireland has recorded its first death from coronavirus.

The patient died earlier on Wednesday in a hospital in the east of the country, where they were being treated in recent days.

It is understood the patient initally presented with respiratory symptoms and was later diagnosed with the disease when staff decided to perform a test.

The criteria for testing patients has been broadened this week to include those patients who have clinical respiratory symptoms but no history of travel to affected areas internationally. This is in recognition that the disease may be ciculating in the community.

The patient is understood to be elderly.

The first Covid-19 cases was recorded in the Republic on February 29th and there are now a total of 34 confirmed cases. Two of these were acquired in the community and are being investigated.

A further update on this death, and the latest number of cases, will be given by the National Public Health Emergency Teams at its daily briefing this evening.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Screenshot-20200311-154322.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Daz_ wrote: »
    Poland likes flexing its control on its citizens . You can’t even wash your car at home there . Or cut down a tree in your garden without Govt approval .
    I wouldn’t look to them as a guide on best practice .

As if the EU and its complex Web of thousands of regulations and laws is any better, you can't take a sh*t without it being EU regulated, one's things for sure this crisis has exposed them as how useless and overpaid they are

• Registered Users Posts: 32,983 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I’m not saying he’s downplayed this.

I’m saying I feel he downplays stuff in general. Homelessness, health, employment.

But on this, he refuses to deny the figures about half of us catching, and the possibility of 100k dead. He, who downplays everything, either...

1. Hasn’t downplayed this, despite his tendency to do so, in which case we need to take those figures seriously.
    2. HAS downplayed this with those figures (which is actually the nightmare scenario).
    He does in general i agree.
    Maybe he has been given the evidence and can't deny it this time? Or maybe he felt people needed a shock as some people are not taking this thing seriously enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

WOW, That's bizarre

agree, what a sick fuker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well that one came from left field. Feck sake dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

RIP to the person who died today.

We only have 34 cases but already one death? this proves that there is lots of undetected cases in Ireland because isn't a death supposed to occur in something like 1 out of 100 cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

15:40
    A female patient with an underlying illness who contracted Covid-19 has died in the east of the country.:(

RIP the poor woman and her loved ones. Very sad day for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!

To reply in simple terms - No it's not the general consensus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement