Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

All windows should be open on public transport.
    I'd have thought the opposite? On the grounds that the data suggests the virus appears to be most potent the colder it is.

The last few mornings I've been on a reasonably warm Dublin Bus at 7.30am, and then someone has opened a few windows right in front of me (just before the bus goes onto the dual carriageway) immediately edging the temperature towards the minus figures that it is outside.
    Surely not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

With the footballers, given their medical care and facilities, could it be argued they just exist in a bubble s d that calling off the leagues is a bit over the top?

If they could practice social distancing during matches, they'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

there's a Chinese saying 'May we live in interesting times....'

I think you mean "愿我们生活在有趣的时代....."

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭mickey15ie

what do people reckon will happen with work places now? Working in construction so cant see how they can close doors or have people work at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,358 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jos28 wrote: »
    I'm going to work tomorrow and I've no issue doing so. The nature of our work means we generally have to be in situ. There are aspects of my work that I can do from home but generally I have to be there. It's a small company who will really struggle over the next few weeks. We have been extremely careful recently with hand washing, cleaning surfaces etc.

But are you taking public transport in and out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bilston wrote: »
    9/11 was a pretty big deal. It had far reaching consequences that we are still dealing with today.

Hopefully Coronavirus isn't still impacting our lives in 20 years time!

9\11 didn’t shut down the world. Not just that, it didn’t ever have the potential to kill or injure anywhere near the amount of people this could destroy. This hasn’t even kicked off yet fully and it’s already forced most countries to isolate their populations. I’m pessimistically confident we have well past the effect 9\11 had on the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NIMAN wrote: »
    This will be last weekend of epl games.

You heard it here first!

Arsenal won't be able to play this weekend. Every other game has to be called off. Pure greed if they let these games go ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am flying into Dublin tomorrow evening from London. This thread makes me feel like I am arriving back to The Twilight Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

jos28 wrote: »
    I'm going to work tomorrow and I've no issue doing so. The nature of our work means we generally have to be in situ. There are aspects of my work that I can do from home but generally I have to be there. It's a small company who will really struggle over the next few weeks. We have been extremely careful recently with hand washing, cleaning surfaces etc.

Abso****ingloutely

give it an extra 4% too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,387 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There is an old Indian saying, a journey of a thousand miles, better charge my iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

The Cheltenham crazies must be ordered to self-quarantine.

M

I'd have thought the opposite? On the grounds that the data suggests the virus appears to be most potent the colder it is.

The last few mornings I've been on a reasonably warm Dublin Bus at 7.30am, and then someone has opened a few windows right in front of me (just before the bus goes onto the dual carriageway) immediately edging the temperature towards the minus figures that it is outside.
    Surely not good?

When you see the windows coated in the condensation from body heat, that's definetely worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

tbayers wrote: »
    At least majority of ye still have a job. My wife works in a non community creche (not fully supported by government). But, the owner receives funding through numerous grants from the government. This funding WILL continue. Yet owner in question is refusing to pay the employees. So off down to social tomorrow.

It's shocking, in my opinion, that someone could take advantage of this unprecedented event. First effects of the virus being felt outside of catching the thing itself. Long few weeks/months ahead
    Report him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I believe its at least 10 times 9/11

Jesus that's 91100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Great news that northern Italy no new cases isolation working

China figured that out 4 weeks ago.

We as "western democracies" had every opportunity to do better, and we totally messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

gabeeg wrote: »
    This is really troubling me.

If we take relatively radical moves while the north does not, is it all for nothing?

Are we gonna have Irish people calling for a border?

Who is right?

By closing schools who is going to look after the kids? The grandparents?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Funny you should say that as some very prominent unionists are pushing for a one island solution to this
    Totally should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

9/11 was a deliberate attack on a superpower. It’s not comparable in that sense. This would be more akin to Spanish Influenza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jesus that's 91100.

Its actually 9110 ;)

M

Icepick wrote: »
    The Cheltenham crazies must be ordered to self-quarantine.

Spike Island could hold them all for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Is anyone finding their WiFi a bit slow? Virgin media, Dublin.
    The telecoms operators are going to be under much heaver loads than normal due to kids being off. Not much can be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

NIMAN wrote: »
    Completely daft that ROI and NI are using 2 sets of rules.

And daft giving separate figures.

Like the virus stops at the border.
    Would the unionists complain if their figured were counted in the all Ireland ones?

Yes, they probably would.

Of course the virus doesn't stop at the border, but that goes for every country on the planet with a border!

NI is part of the UK/NHS system and as such it's figures are tallied with the rest of the UK, we have our own HSE figures for this country, hence ......

UK/ NHS = 590
    ROI/HSE = 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

tbayers wrote: »
    At least majority of ye still have a job. My wife works in a non community creche (not fully supported by government). But, the owner receives funding through numerous grants from the government. This funding WILL continue. Yet owner in question is refusing to pay the employees. So off down to social tomorrow.

It's shocking, in my opinion, that someone could take advantage of this unprecedented event. First effects of the virus being felt outside of catching the thing itself. Long few weeks/months ahead

Have you considered that the grants won't even cover the wages let alone rent and rates and insurance? I guess not. If rent and insurance aren't paid then she won't have a job to go back to.... Grants aren't as high as you might precieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jesus that's 91100.

Need to work on your math/humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am flying into Dublin tomorrow evening from London. This thread makes me feel like I am arriving back to The Twilight Zone.

Stay at the Clayton for the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

daheff wrote: »
    Well maybe it's guilty conscience?? After all the virus did originate in China and was spread by Chinese people travelling around the world while infected.
    Just weeks ago, Italy was one of only five EU countries, along with France, Germany, Latvia and Estonia, to send more than 30.5 tons of protective equipment to China"
    https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-a...rus-responses/

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

From what family are saying in NI it seems that a lot are following ROi guidance. Mass is cancelled in our village, funerals restricted to immediate family only, gyms closed, dr opened for phone calls only... seems like they’re going ahead instead of waiting on Boris to backtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Due to fly out to spain in at the beginning of may, already paid it off.
    Im praying it goes one step higher just to get a refund as we wont be going.

You are eligible at the status "avoid non essential travel" which it is at now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

9/11 was a pretty big deal. It had far reaching consequences that we are still dealing with today.

Hopefully Coronavirus isn't still impacting our lives in 20 years time!

If it can be described as a natural disaster then it will be bigger, 9/11 was a man made disaster followed by unnessasary wars.

The virus is affecting over half the countries of this world. It will touch billions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Who is right?

By closing schools who is going to look after the kids? The grandparents?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Eh no, we are looking after our own kids as are all my friends. Work just need to be flexible. I’ve told my parents to hibernate like I’m sure most people have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement