Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Coveney on Prime Time reminding us that at the end of the day, he and Leo will do whatever the EU say, regardless of whether it's best for Ireland or not.

So the gutless prick will do what the EU says even if it's NOT the best for Ireland.

Coveney grow a set, and stand up for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Its actually 9110 ;)

And whats more if you take 9110 and divide it by 100 you get 911...Illuminati confirmed right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

NIMAN wrote: »
    Completely daft that ROI and NI are using 2 sets of rules.

And daft giving separate figures.

Like the virus stops at the border.

should the whole of asia give combined figures? eurasia?

how should Malaysia's, Indonesia's and Papua New Guinea's figures be broken down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭jos28

But are you taking public transport in and out?

No, I'm on my bike

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    We produce plenty of vegetables, milk and cheese
    Unless you want to stockpile on exotic fruits

Believe it or not, aside from the odd bunch on bananas or a pineapple or two a year I don't actually go for exotic fruit and vegetables at all, I actually make a point of trying to buy as much locally produced stuff as I can, but I can assure you it's been very difficult. Unless you fancy a diet based on cabbage, carrots (not all, I'd say 75% of what's on the shelves), onions (ditto) and very little else, then you're in for a shock. Do make a point of looking at the origin of the stuff that's out there. Even a good percentage of the potatoes comes from the UK. Did you really think that all the apples, oranges, kiwis, lemons, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, strawberries, leeks, squash, grapes, etc (aside from the stuff that's out of season!!) are produced in Ireland? If you're lucky, you mostly stuff from Spain or the Netherlands. Otherwise it's Africa or South America. I think the nets of limes they had on offer in Lidl last week came from Paraguay. We do produce milk, cheese and meat, stuff like oats and some fish. But do you really think that the products you see on the shelves come from Ireland (not only the fresh produce?). The UK or futher afield.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the most food secure countries in the world. Can we please stop stoking panic about food shortages.
    sterz wrote: »
    You're set on continuing to scaremonger about food shortages, right?

I never said or thought, not even ONCE, that people should start panic buying, that would make things worse by adding too much pressure to the supply chain, aside from everything else. However, I don't think that people should be too complacent, either. I've heard the situation in Ireland being compared to China and Italy, but for the wrong reasons. One one hand, you've people saying "Shur, what happened in Italy or China couldn't possibly happen here, they've an older population and more cases than we have, so we're safe." Wrong. Look at where we're heading. People are still underestimating the threat posed by this virus.

On the other hand, you've people saying "Ah, but China and Italy are in a worse situation than we are, and there's been virtually no disruption to their food chain. Wrong again. People forget that the Continent has more ways and more routes for replenishing their food chain. Lorries are much easier to fill and move than cargo ships or planes - if one route is blocked, there's usually another 10. Secondly, having a larger population leaves them at a lesser risk of having their supply disrupted - if someone gets sick, they've a larger pool of replacements. Thirdly, the weather there is much more favourable to food production, especially regarding the production of fruit and vegetables.

I never said PANIC and buy everything in sight and hoard everything. Just be aware of the risks and prepare for them. No need to run around like headless chickens. But don't be complacent, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We needs more track

source.gif

Icepick wrote: »
    The Cheltenham crazies must be ordered to self-quarantine.

Along with everyone who used public transport, went shopping, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I can manage the 2 year old & he’s perked up already. I’m just debating the grandparents thing, 70s all in good health but I’d rather not risk it, I know they’ll be disappointed they don’t see themselves as old!

Don't look for, or act on any advice from an internet forum. Call your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Omackeral wrote: »
    Stay at the Clayton for the craic

I did.
    I've been trying to ring them but their phones aren't being answered.
    There's a video on social media showing a load of guests being taken away in Ambulances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

JDD wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes this evening.

I’m normally a calm person. It was at 8.30, so the madness had passed. The bread, milk (?!!), flour, fresh food, soap, pasta, and nappies shelves were decimated. All shelves were being restocked.

You know, there’s older people who only get paid their pensions on certain days of the week. There’s coeliacs who need the gluten free food. People need formula for their infants. As if this whole pandemic wasn’t stressful enough you are causing additional panic and distress.

Stop. Fukking. Panic. Buying. You. Utter. Fukking. Cretins.

Another example of how detached Leo is? Announcing the measures on a Thursday, payday for alot of people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

buried wrote: »
    Cheltenham is a f**king drunken gambling festival man. We have one drunk festival already in this country and we shut it down. You think after a heap of pints and lost bets over there every day, the vast majority of the f**king idiots who just line the pockets of bookies over there are going to be washing their hands every hour? If you think there is going to be no problem when these pisswallet's come back next week you are in for some shock, or else you can let a few of them stay in your gaff, for a bit of perspective like.

I guess then that Wuhan got so many cases because they run the Chinese version of Cheltenham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jesus that's 91100.

You my accountant??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Eh no, we are looking after our own kids as are all my friends. Work just need to be flexible. I’ve told my parents to hibernate like I’m sure most people have.

Which is exactly the correct thing to do.

My point is will everyone be able to do that?

It's a just a theory on why the UK hasn't closed schools yet. Obviously they will eventually, probably very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭threeball

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Joe Rogan is a clown

Did you watch it? Is the guy speaking to him a clown. I'd wager he knows 10,000 times more than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,358 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jos28 wrote: »
    No, I'm on my bike

Yes ideal way to get in and out during this, wish I had the option, just a little too far this weather for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

With the footballers, given their medical care and facilities, could it be argued they just exist in a bubble s d that calling off the leagues is a bit over the top?

The people they interact with do not live in a bubble. Everybody is connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Luke O'Neill is a bit of a gobshïte. He said the mortality rate for those in their twenties was only .2% and that if 50,000 got it only a few would die. 100 would die Luke. 100 people in their twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We should tattoo CHLTNHM-19 into the foreheads of not only the people returning from Cheltenham, but also their children

And if needs be, their children’s children

And I'd go a generation beyond that if we have to

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Report him.

That's the problem, to who? Unintended circumstance from announcement today. Don't blame government here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Another example of how detached Leo is? Announcing the measures on a Thursday, payday for alot of people?

Ah ffs give it over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Along with everyone who used public transport, went shopping, etc....

How are those things comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

I nominate beasty to book a room in the Clayton. We will all chip in. Up to the 3rd floor with you to get the lowdown..

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

The Arsenal manager has been confirmed as having corona virus.

The Arsenal squad is in self-isolation.

The EPL is proceeding this weekend... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,389 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal manager now has Coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well I made a balls of that. I thought he said a 100 for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

tbayers wrote: »
    At least majority of ye still have a job. My wife works in a non community creche (not fully supported by government). But, the owner receives funding through numerous grants from the government. This funding WILL continue. Yet owner in question is refusing to pay the employees. So off down to social tomorrow.

It's shocking, in my opinion, that someone could take advantage of this unprecedented event. First effects of the virus being felt outside of catching the thing itself. Long few weeks/months ahead

But the crèche is no longer getting payments from parents? What do you expect them to pay your wife with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

When you ring up the HSE they ask for your location. I rang to be sure and they told me I had many of the symptoms but just to keep Ana eye on it. Strangely they insist on asking if you were in one of the affected areas. Didn’t ask my age. Nice and pleasant lady.
    If you dont need hospitalisation, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

If people are well enough to ride it out and not infect others, there will be much less strain on the health service.

Going to a hospital and taking up a bed in a dedicated isolation ward is not a good use of limited resources.

I hope you feel better and obviously that you don't have Covid19.

Rest up. Mind yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

tbayers wrote: »
    That's the problem, to who? Unintended circumstance from announcement today. Don't blame government here
    What govt dept do they get their grant from? Start there

Mind you another poster raised a point which you should consider (ie, rates/insurance/ticking over money)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

jonny_b wrote: »
    Have you considered that the grants won't even cover the wages let alone rent and rates and insurance? I guess not. If rent and insurance aren't paid then she won't have a job to go back to.... Grants aren't as high as you might precieve.

Owns the building, rates are once off (i understand this can be spread out throughout the year) and still seeking payment from parents for private side of things. It's wrong. Not asking for full pay. Owner shouldnt be running at a profit in this instance (if that's the case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Here's a crowd tonight who have no qualms about getting or spreading the virus. No surprise really.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement