Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

otnomart wrote: »
    He could be under pressure from France and Germany, which both want to keep borders open.
    Macron attached Austria for closing their borders.
    Could be that France and Germany have more leverage on Ireland (compared to, say, Austria) for all the support during Brexit negotiations.
    First cheque being cashed in, more to follow.

Wouldn't be the first time that the EU pushed us into decisions that weren't in our best interests I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

SHOPS HAVE GONE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in Tesco, Arthur's Quay in Limerick today. I had to queue to almost the length of the store to pay for my 3 items. There were ppl with trolleys full of tinned food, yet we were all bunched together, 😱Security staff directing customers to queues for the tills. Mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

Bambi wrote: »
    My understanding is that we're probably 10-14 weeks away from this peaking here, is that correct?

Based on which country's peak?

I don't believe a word that comes out of China so please don't quote them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

SF mouthpiece.

Only interested in hurling from the ditch.

No interest in putting her big mouth where the money is.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

People exposing themselves to possible infection.

One is highly risky and non essential and the other things are low risk and essential for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    To be fair, he's probably bollixed.

I never ever thought I'd type those words but fairs fair.

He has Crohn's disease, which apart from the workload makes him vulnerable to fatigue and immunocompromised, its a terrible illness. I'd say the new Govt can't come soon enough for him so he can step back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Here's a crowd tonight who have no qualms about getting or spreading the virus. No surprise really.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

Walked home earlier. Plenty of pubs in town were half full. You will get a lot of twats takeing advantage of the remote working craic aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Sounds like Coveney and co were working a 24 hour shift today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

blackcard wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what Friday the 13th will bring

I was born on it so i'm feeling lucky :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭strawdog

Kirsty Wark on Newsnight really makes Miriam look like an amateur. Tough but allows the person to speak and the conversation to flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

citysights wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl only allowing four packs per person for most popular items tissue, pasta, tinned tomatoes and anti bacs etc. Proper order fair for everyone.

I know! I was in Aldi earlier and they’d only let me buy 2 trumpets, 3 diving suits and a MIG welder!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

wylo wrote: »
    Agreed, I'm quietly confident we are handling this the way the countries fairing better are. I like that in the latest case reports, each case can be identified and labelled. Contact tracing seems to be the key, they should ask for volunteers. Id happily give my time.

We have clear guidelines and as much as we dislike our politicians about policy, at least we're not pretending that everything is grand or that this is some chinese hoax. We know that this is a real problem and we know what needs to be done to slow the infection rate, which is about all that we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

maebee wrote: »
    I was in Tesco, Arthur's Quay in Limerick today. I had to queue to almost the length of the store to pay for my 3 items. There were ppl with trolleys full of tinned food, yet we were all bunched together, 😱Security staff directing customers to queues for the tills. Mental.

Would love to know what your 3 items were.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think a few things have become clear tonight:

1) The schools closing is the first step and a more significant shutdown of all work places besides critical services will happen at some stage. This could be days or weeks away.....impossible to tell.
    2) For the first time there's an admission that real numbers are probably much higher than who's showing as gotten it through testing.
    3) The food chain looks like being okay no matter how many are asked to isolate. Panic buying is a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

I am acutely aware of the facts in this thread/pandemic.

Would just like a mature response or 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Harris is in an at risk group, he has active Crohns Disease.

I think he's not a great minister, but on a human level fair ****s to him for keeping at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cozar wrote: »

Yeah, I can't imagine what 3 items are that important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I know! I was in Aldi earlier and they’d only let me buy 2 trumpets, 3 diving suits and a MIG welder!

Anything to be said for the Lidldy Aldi song to cheer people up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time that the EU pushed us into decisions that weren't in our best interests I suppose...

enda-keeny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I've probably missed this, but at what point do we stop testing ?
    In terms of admitting that it's out there, loads (and loads) of people have it, some have mild symptoms, some none, some serious, some very serious. So no point testing people, because numbers of positive cases is so closely related to the number of tests done, and we can't test everyone. We just need to focus on helping the sick people.
    Same applies to other countries and their reported numbers.
    I shudder to say this, but I feel like soon the only numbers that will matter are the death rates ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Matt peaved with Ivan there.

Hooked wrote: »
    Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

I am acutely aware of the facts in this thread/pandemic.

Would just like a mature response or 10

Id stay put,but use the days off all the same

Chances are david grays concert will be cancelled by then imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Louise there is emergency creche places been opened.

The gubberment blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

HIV of course also another disaster to compare it to. Of course the thing with HIV is that they couldn't develop a vaccine for it and it constantly changes - for all we know that could happen here as well!

Maybe time to stop interfering with wildlife!

I havnt a clue but aparently some part of the virus is similar to HIV (which would make me think it was manufactured). In Spain a Corona patient was treated with HIV drugs
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/coronavirus-patient-in-spain-reportedly-recovers-after-being-treated-with-hiv-drug/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwj7zpGhhpboAhUNQRUIHZpoBbwQFjAJegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw0E7TBVhL8I4sQSUjfaGU6X&ampcf=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think a few things have become clear tonight:

1) The schools closing is the first step and a more significant shutdown of all work places besides critical services will happen at some stage. This could be days or weeks away.....impossible to tell.
    2) For the first time there's an admission that real numbers are probably much higher than who's showing as gotten it through testing.
    3) The food chain looks like being okay no matter how many are asked to isolate. Panic buying is a waste of money.

All that work on the food chain in advance of Brexit seems to have paid off in a way

New Home wrote: »
    Believe it or not, aside from the odd bunch on bananas or a pineapple or two a year I don't actually go for exotic fruit and vegetables at all, I actually make a point of trying to buy as much locally produced stuff as I can, but I can assure you it's been very difficult. Unless you fancy a diet based on cabbage, carrots (not all, I'd say 75% of what's on the shelves), onions (ditto) and very little else, then you're in for a shock. Do make a point of looking at the origin of the stuff that's out there. Even a good percentage of the potatoes comes from the UK. Did you really think that all the apples, oranges, kiwis, lemons, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, strawberries, leeks, squash, grapes, etc (aside from the stuff that's out of season!!) are produced in Ireland? If you're lucky, you mostly stuff from Spain or the Netherlands. Otherwise it's Africa or South America. I think the nets of limes they had on offer in Lidl last week came from Paraguay. We do produce milk, cheese and meat, stuff like oats and some fish. But do you really think that the products you see on the shelves come from Ireland (not only the fresh produce?). The UK or futher afield.

I never said or thought, not even ONCE, that people should start panic buying, that would make things worse by adding too much pressure to the supply chain, aside from everything else. However, I don't think that people should be too complacent, either. I've heard the situation in Ireland being compared to China and Italy, but for the wrong reasons. One one hand, you've people saying "Shur, what happened in Italy or China couldn't possibly happen here, they've an older population and more cases than we have, so we're safe." Wrong. Look at where we're heading. People are still underestimating the threat posed by this virus.

On the other hand, you've people saying "Ah, but China and Italy are in a worse situation than we are, and there's been virtually no disruption to their food chain. Wrong again. People forget that the Continent has more ways and more routes for replenishing their food chain. Lorries are much easier to fill and move than cargo ships or planes - if one route is blocked, there's usually another 10. Secondly, having a larger population leaves them at a lesser risk of having their supply disrupted - if someone gets sick, they've a larger pool of replacements. Thirdly, the weather there is much more favourable to food production, especially regarding the production of fruit and vegetables.

I never said PANIC and buy everything in sight and hoard everything. Just be aware of the risks and prepare for them. No need to run around like headless chickens. But don't be complacent, either.

There will be no food shortages. If you have any evidence that we are more susceptible to supply chain failure. Please post it.

Kind regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

cozar wrote: »

3 X 48 rolls of toilet paper? With a shotgun protection posse?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

YFlyer wrote: »
    Matt peaved with Ivan there.

Rightly so. Not the time for Yates' shtick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Why the jaysus is Helen McEntee on Virgin media. Where the **** is Harris?

Harris has Crohns. He would be high risk. I'd imagine keeping a low profile.

I am no fan by any stretch but he is correct to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yasmina wrote: »
    I've probably missed this, but at what point do we stop testing ?
    In terms of admitting that it's out there, loads (and loads) of people have it, some have mild symptoms, some none, some serious, some very serious. So no point testing people, because numbers of positive cases is so closely related to the number of tests done, and we can't test everyone. We just need to focus on helping the sick people.
    Same applies to other countries and their reported numbers.
    I shudder to say this, but I feel like soon the only numbers that will matter are the death rates ��

When the hospitals are so full of serious cases that they need all the test kits to decide how to treat patients.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement