Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time that the EU pushed us into decisions that weren't in our best interests I suppose...
    The way this is going, soon only France, Germany, Spain and Benelux will keep their borders open.
    When things improve in Italy, Italy will impose quarantine on them to avoid being reinfected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Hooked wrote: »
    Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

I am acutely aware of the facts in this thread/pandemic.

Would just like a mature response or 10

Personally I wouldn't go on any non-essential trips. Had to cancel a family visit, sucks big time but I'm not taking the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone said, This is only the start.

You think this was a big call today?
    There's more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He has Crohn's disease, which apart from the workload makes him vulnerable to fatigue and immunocompromised, its a terrible illness. I'd say the new Govt can't come soon enough for him so he can step back.
    Didn't know that.
    I have a friend with Crohn's - a joy it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

If it was me, I’d cancel, honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

YFlyer wrote: »
    Matt peaved with Ivan there.

And he's right.

Ivan is a Cheltenham poster boy.

Saying last week we are all overreacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭maebee

The only thing that's in short supply is common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't imagine what 3 items are that important.

3 packs toilet roll.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

NIMAN wrote: »

Leo takes his advice from professionals. Imagine if he took it from numpties on the internet.

The decision today was welcomed by the vast majority of people. Only the idiots are disagreeing.

/me shudders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

d51984 wrote: »
    Been genuine here for a sec, If anyone has any older relatives / friends in the Dublin 5 or 17 areas that need anything in the shops or doctors etc im free all weekend. No charge. I drive and have a car ready.

Could do with a Chinese on Saturday night. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Serious Q folks...

Stay at home. Things are going to escalate every day from now on. Same in the UK.

Why bring on unnecessary travel, airports, planes stress etc.

isn't the elbow bump greeting a bad idea if you're coughing and sneezing into that area????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

yasmina wrote: »
    I've probably missed this, but at what point do we stop testing ?
    In terms of admitting that it's out there, loads (and loads) of people have it, some have mild symptoms, some none, some serious, some very serious. So no point testing people, because numbers of positive cases is so closely related to the number of tests done, and we can't test everyone. We just need to focus on helping the sick people.
    Same applies to other countries and their reported numbers.
    I shudder to say this, but I feel like soon the only numbers that will matter are the death rates ��

If you don't test you don't know what you're dealing with, and you won't know if the measures you're taking are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Necessary measures to mitigate the impact of the pandemic https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-increased
    measures in and closure of schools, taking into consideration the uncertainty in the evidence of children in transmitting the disease, need for day care for children, impact on nursing staff, potential to increase transmission to vulnerable grandparents;
    does that mean theres risk because its effects are so mild in kids they may have it, and pass it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

(Combinations of) several existing drugs have been tried so far.
    In Italy and China, a drug for for rheumatoid arthritis has been giving some results, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Vulcan hand salute can be used instead of a handshake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Pistachio19

Serious Q folks...

Personally I'd stay home. I see this as a time for us all to try to limit contact with others as much as we can. I couldn't justify going on a flight to the UK when they are still allowing gatherings to go ahead, schools to remain open. My husband is due to go later in the month. If he does he won't be getting in the door on his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

isn't the elbow bump greeting a bad idea if you're coughing and sneezing into that area????

Just touch willies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Is Louise Reilly the our health minister if SF get in ?
    Dear god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Cheltenham is ****ing disgusting to be fair.

'The government believes that banning large gatherings is one of the least effective measures a country can take, reducing the peak of the coronavirus by less than 5%. The virus is just as likely to spread within a smaller group such as those watching football in the pub as it would in a large crowd. Scotland has taken a different decision, banning events of more than 500 people from Monday to free up emergency services'. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-governments-coronavirus-advice-and-why-it-gave-it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Get Real wrote: »
    Lads. The EU excuse is bollocks. I respect Coveny, but think he misjudged his excuse.

You say he'll do "What the EU says"- well, what did the EU allegedly say?

Czech Republic, in the EU, has banned travellers from other EU countries.

What's with the Daily Express headlines?

Exactly. Another thing they ought to realize is that their is no f**kin way the EU survives for very long after this is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

sterz wrote: »
    Rightly so. Not the time for Yates' shtick.

I can understand his humour. He should act professional at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,336 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gardaí in Dublin stations have received advance notice of new operational methods from tomorrow.

All annual leave cancelled, 12 hour tours will replace current shift pattern, planned operations and searches postponed, inter Station business cancelled, prisoner transfers and other prisoner work limited to extreme emergency only, public access to stations to be greatly limited, congregation in canteens and rec rooms to be minimised and breaks staggered, courts likely to close except for public order, all planned checkpoints and mandatory breath testing to cease, stop on suspicion only. Immunocompromised members to self isolate now. All members to keep house and car keys on their person as stations may close instantly for quarantine reasons and members will be redeployed if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

For god sake, there will be other times to take a "mid week/weekend break", that's if you come out the other side.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Boards was around in the 80s?

Damn you, you made me go back and check if I had made a typo.
    Serious Q folks...

Ask yourself, like in all good movies. In the current circumstances, "What's the worse that could happen?" and take it from there. I wouldn't go, if I were you.
    There will be no food shortages. If you have any evidence that we are more susceptible to supply chain failure. Please post it.

Kind regards.

Have you evidence that there won't be? Why don't you post that, then?

Yours sincerely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    I have never seen an overreaction before on boards like your comment is getting, you snooze you loose!
    Im astounded at the reaction
    If we have lost our sense of humour its over!

Joking about vulnersble or elderly people is not funny as that exact scenario probably happened somewhere more than once today. My 92 yr old mother wss not able to get bread in the local supermarket while others had multiple sliced pans in their hands. Its not funny.

The poster has said it was bad taste to post that. What point are you now making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Gardaí in Dublin stations have received advance notice of new operational methods from tomorrow.

All annual leave cancelled, 12 hour tours will replace current shift pattern, planned operations and searches postponed, inter Station business cancelled, prisoner transfers and other prisoner work limited to extreme emergency only, public access to stations to be greatly limited, congregation in canteens and rec rooms to be minimised and breaks staggered, courts likely to close except for public order, all planned checkpoints and mandatory breath testing to cease, stop on suspicion only. Immunocompromised members to self isolate now. All members to keep house and car keys on their person as stations may close instantly for quarantine reasons and members will be redeployed if necessary.

Makes you think what is coming next week now. Full lock down likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Serious Q folks...

I'd go. On the proviso that I'm isolating 2 weeks after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Serious Q folks...

Planes, trains, taxis and being in a crowded airport, that all increases your risk. Asides from that, sounds like you will have to pretty much stay in the hotel room, not a completely terrible plan for a couple but you can do that in Ireland without all the other risks. I’d actually book a weekend somewhere here then go abroad. Also things are changing fast so there’s another risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is Louise Reilly the our health minister if SF get in ?
    Dear god

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement