Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wonder could old people refused euthanasia in this country, travel to Italy now and let nature take it's course.

Euthanasia aren't effected its the oldinasia that are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Thats really sad the person who passed away,

I wonder what the the same person from Cork transferred up to Dublin who was extremely ill from previous conditions who was tested really late ?

The person in Cork was Male I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

Mr Velo wrote: »
    First Irish death - Female in the East of the country.

First death we know of: quote from the times

The criteria for testing patients has been broadened this week to include those patients who have clinical respiratory symptoms but no history of travel to affected areas internationally. This is in recognition that the disease may be ciculating in the community.

We haven't been testing people with clear symtoms if they haven't been to a region with the virus.
    We also haven't being testing people who have been but show no symptoms. Joke

The response and testing has been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!

is it 1000 or 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭blade1

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    RIP to the person who died today.

We only have 34 cases but already one death? this proves that there is lots of undetected cases in Ireland because isn't a death supposed to occur in something like 1 out of 100 cases?

3.4/100 is about the who figure I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,723 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mercy University Hospital Cork has confirmed that 3 patients have tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

We only have 34 cases but already one death? this proves that there is lots of undetected cases in Ireland because isn't a death supposed to occur in something like 1 out of 100 cases?
    Far too small a sample to accurately predict that

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Spanish health officials have said today that they believe the epidemic will end in Spain in two months in a best case scenario (which they don’t think plausible) and four to five in a worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Groppelli told VICE News that the system in Lombardy had gotten by so far by transferring patients to other regions with capacity. For that to continue to work, authorities would have to ensure that their containment measures worked to stop the rise in new infections elsewhere around the country.

“It’s imperative for Italy to slow down transmission, and this requires strict application by citizens and business of the draconian measures identified by the government,” she said.

But even before regions of the north were placed under quarantine Sunday, before the measures were extended to the entire country Monday night, there were signs of major holes in the approach. When news of the impending quarantine in the north leaked Saturday, thousands of people fled the red-zoned areas, raising fears of fresh outbreaks in the south of the country, where the healthcare system is not as well resourced as the wealthy north.

The shortage of trained staff is also an issue. Intensive care wards across Italy were about 3,000 doctors short even before the outbreak, according to their union. And despite their precautions, overworked medical staff are at high risk of getting sick themselves, making about 12 percent of those infected in Lombardy.

Amid the crisis, doctors on the northern front lines have shared their experiences on social media and in the press, warning other countries about what their healthcare systems will be facing once the virus takes hold.

Daniele Macchini, an intensive care physician at the Humanitas Gavazzeni hospital in the badly hit city of Bergamo, located in Lombardy about 25 miles northeast of Milan, posted a widely-shared account to Facebook in which he said he feared that the public did not appreciate the dangers of the virus.

“Let's stop saying it's a bad flu,” he wrote. “The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night.’

He concluded by saying he questioned the prevailing message not to panic about the virus.

“I understand the need not to panic, but when the message of the danger of what is happening does not reach people… I shiver,” he wrote.

“We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7ex4a/coronavirus-has-northern-italys-hospitals-on-the-brink-of-collapse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

I think in these unprecedented times our politicians should be at home. I think Leo should have led the way and cancelled all engagements.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

is it 1000 or 100?

Anyway its just one death, it could just so happen that of the small number of people who got it on the island, one happened to be a person with an underlying illness. A very large percent of the country have at least one chronic illness. I dont think from just one death you can say with any certainty ireland has hundreds of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

blade1 wrote: »
    3.4/100 is about the who figure I think

3.4 out of 100 confirmed cases. In reality far lower. At least half the cases won't be confirmed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Roughly 10% get infected from surface transmission.

90% came from family/close contact.

Would not surfaces be " cleaned" after a few warm hands had grasped and this wiped them? All the virus on hands now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's a bird flu outbreak on a poultry farm in Monaghan, just in case we didn't have enough going on!

Thats weird. In China they had an outbreak of bird flu at same time they were battling COVID19. But they're also battling locusts.
    It's all very Biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!

Take south korea as example. 7755/54 = 143.6

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Am I right in saying that it is presumed that this poor person that has passed away was a contact case and not a travel case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fgz6v0/qatar_news_agency_238_new_confirmed_cases_of/
    238 new cases in Qatar
    Ten fold increase in cases in one day
    Average high in Qatar in MArch 27C with a low of 17C. Hotter than temperatures most West European countries would experience in mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The person in Cork was Male I believe

And in his forties

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can you imagine the Garda trying to enforce a lockdown.

Would they not do as in other countries and bring the army in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I'm not so sure, I think we'd hear of more than a few people presenting themselves to hospital with breathing difficulties if we were at those numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,583 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vudgie wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that it is presumed that this poor person that has passed away was a contact case and not a travel case?

That was how I understood the report also.... they were tested as they presented with respiratory symptoms.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Thats weird. In China they had an outbreak of bird flu at same time they were battling COVID19. But they're also battling locusts.
    It's all very Biblical.

Odd thing is China takes all this in its stride. I don't think any country is better able to deal with a crisis or emergency. Look at how they are trying to solve the locusts issue - 100,000 ducks. Who else could do something like that? No even the US.

This Covid 19 will knock 1-2% of Chinese growth. They'll be back in business in no time. And they'll be asking why the rest of the world didn't get on top of it so they can sell them stuff again.

I'd welcome Chinese experts to Ireland at this stage to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The Pope and Jesus in the same thread

We're fcuked

Two Hail Mary's and One Our Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Closer to about 1 in 30 overall actually.

People under 60 is closer to 1 in 100 (less than 1 in 100 for under 50's)

Over 70's is where it gets scary, basically russian roulette.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The death rate is 3.4% or so, 3.4% of 34 = 1 death give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Schools will be closing, probably at the end of this week. If you think you’re not getting notice of that, you’re not paying attention...
    The Department of Health sent a letter to schools last night that basically says the schools are not to close unless instructed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don’t know why but I think the UK will avoid any serious consequences. It’s like they know they are grand given that they have just decided to keep everything business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I honestly feel that jail time for whoever failed to do this should be on the cards. This was recklessness to the point where manslaughter could be argued imo.

Ah here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Vudgie wrote: »

I think it was this this case 3rd march the 2nd case
    There has been a second confirmed case of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) in Ireland. The patient, a female in the eastern part of the country, travelled to Ireland from Northern Italy and is currently receiving appropriate medical care.

The patient was identified and tested in line with established protocols for the investigation of suspect cases of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement