Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,371 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Harris has Crohns. He would be high risk. I'd imagine keeping a low profile.

I am no fan by any stretch but he is correct to do so.

Simon Harris has Crohns :eek: did not know that, no wonder he looks so pale and sombre when talking about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,606 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Makes you think what is coming next week now. Full lock down likely?

I fear it's only going to get worse - pray to god we are not heading in to Italy territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So far today...Europe's numbers are mostly finished for the day

Screenshot-20200312-210946.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,359 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ration papers perhaps.

That's a long time ago, was it Sue ellens sister? Kristen or something like that. im old :(

Af for fuuuucks saaake!! Have you never heard of SPOILER ALERT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Joking about vulnersble or elderly people is not funny as that exact scenario probably happened somewhere more than once today. My 92 yr old mother wss not able to get bread in the local supermarket while others had multiple sliced pans in their hands. Its not funny.

The poster has said it was bad taste to post that. What point are you now making?

Pensioners get paid tomorrow and normally shop for the week ahead, be nice if there was some staples left for them.

You snooze you lose. FFS. Is that what we've come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Hooked wrote: »
    Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

I am acutely aware of the facts in this thread/pandemic.

Would just like a mature response or 10

I’d wait and see how things are over the weekend but I’d probably not go. I err on the side of caution living with a person in a high risk group though so others may think differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

.... if this is going to last for weeks and perhaps months wtf are we all going to do? the gov talking about the next 2 weeks isn't enough.

still think this education shutdown could have been delayed by a week or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Simon Harris has Crohns :eek: did not know that, no wonder he looks so pale and sombre when talking about this

He has a young family, i would say he is incredibly worried. Probably needs to step back right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

People only shook hands out of awkwardness anyway. Now we can just launch straight into ohmygodthevirusisntitdesperate no need for small talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Hooked wrote: »
    Serious Q folks...

I’m due to fly to Manchester (train to Liverpool) for a mid week/weekend break with the missus the day after paddy’s day... wed to sunday.

All paid for. No money back. We could handle the money lost. No kids. I’m 41. No health issues. Missus is 35. Same.

Is it a no brainier? Stay put... Should we ‘consider’ going? Not about the money spent... I mean, the risk? How big is it? % wise?

The plan was david grays ‘white ladder’ opening night on Friday. See a bit of Liverpool. Visit Anfield (tour). Maybe skip the gig? Stay out of the bars?

Or do I go to work instead. Cancel my leave, and risk getting sick here instead.

I am acutely aware of the facts in this thread/pandemic.

Would just like a mature response or 10

Not exactly answering your question, but what I would say is that it is difficult to make an informed decision today about what to do in a weeks time. As we have seen, the situation is evolving very rapidly - so even if you decide that today’s situation is acceptable for you to go, you are likely to reconsider your decision later due to new circumstances.

Having said that, I was due to fly to France this week and I am not going. IMO it’s just looking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Harris has Crohns. He would be high risk. I'd imagine keeping a low profile.

I am no fan by any stretch but he is correct to do so.

ah he wouldn't. He's only 33. shur half the population have things like that. I have COPD, asthma, GERD, I'd hardly consider myself high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

fritzelly wrote: »
    I fear it's only going to get worse - pray to god we are not heading in to Italy territory
    We are unless the lockdown starts from Monday at the latest (by which stage we will be in 100's of official cases and ready to start hitting the thousands by the end of the week)...Why are they waiting as if its not gonna happen? Its ludicrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,359 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bartyman wrote: »
    Pensioners get paid tomorrow and normally shop for the week ahead, be nice if there was some staples left for them.

You snooze you lose. FFS. Is that what we've come too.

Using the same pen to sign for the pension as everyone else is up there with spraying these vulnurable people with the black death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I can’t see it going any other way IMHO :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ah jaysus!!!!!

Him as well?

Just need Virgil van Dyke now to make it the Holy Trinity

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Hooked

Drumpot wrote: »
    Planes, trains, taxis and being in a crowded airport, that all increases your risk. Asides from that, sounds like you will have to pretty much stay in the hotel room, not a completely terrible plan for a couple but you can do that in Ireland without all the other risks. I’d actually book a weekend somewhere here then go abroad. Also things are changing fast so there’s another risk.

Cheers.

Just read all replies.

Kinda confirms my gut feeling. Stay put. Err on the side of caution. Fuc kit. It’s only money.

Load up the camper and ‘self isolate’ with the missus and dogs instead.

Strange times ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

ah he wouldn't. He's only 33. shur half the population have things like that. I have COPD, asthma, GERD, I'd hardly consider myself high risk.
    COPD? Are you being serious? You are high risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This man-child needs his precious English football team to win.
    ricero wrote: »
    There be ****ing riots if they dont give us the league title.

Suspend the league for a few weeks until it clears up and then play behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Because 99% of people think, ''sure I don't have it'' . Like you think..we all think it as we don't feel the effect, we will in two weeks.

You probably have it, me too.
    Please don't try and get it. It's not necessarily true that the symptoms will only be mild, you don't know that you'll recover to the your previous strength and you could take years off your life. Read this about Bilateral Interstitial Pneumonia https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

As for the crowd in there, I wish I could be so wilfully ignorant but listening to a piano-accompanied rendition of Fields of Athenry while some Dublin lad covers me in saliva as he yells all over my pint does not seem to me worth suffocating in my own mucus over down the line.

I'm looking at that now thinking "it's like they all know they could have picked up AIDs today but they're going to have the orgy anyway".

505402.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Usual jokes on the tonight show.

Still haven't grasped how serious this is.

Ah it will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

.... if this is going to last for weeks and perhaps months wtf are we all going to do? the gov talking about the next 2 weeks isn't enough.

In this scenario, you can't drop a bombshell of months of isolation on people right off.

You start with two weeks and then increase it gradually.

Can you imagine the insanity if the Government announced a one month lockdown straight off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Seems like proper preparation. We have shut things down quicker then Italy. We did it before hospitals were getting overwhelmed and bodies were piling up. We may be worse off then they thought but our hospitals would be contradicting the authorities if they thought it was worse then they were telling us.

Maybe our authorities are actually being extremely proactive now and doing a really good job preparing for the worst. Funny that we always presume the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

fritzelly wrote: »

How can we not be?
    In two weeks the results of last weekend Italian influx and this weeks Cheltenham infectious returning home... well, I don't like the odds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,389 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why the jaysus is Helen McEntee on Virgin media. Where the **** is Harris?

Simon is getting a dressing down somewhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Good article explaining the U.K. governments decision making process and why it's a good approach:

Covers all the issues

Crowd psychology
    School Closures
    Massive Gatherings
    Flights
    Testing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-governments-coronavirus-advice-and-why-it-gave-it

Utterly fails as they think people will self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

paddythere wrote: »
    COPD? Are you being serious? You are high risk

I stopped taking inhalers or medications years ago. Very occasionally breathing is a bit involved, but otherwise I'm healthy as a horse. No fear of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Simon is getting a dressing down somewhere..

Weldone.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

In this scenario, you can't drop a bombshell of months of isolation on people right off.

You start with two weeks and then increase it gradually.

Can you imagine the insanity if the Government announced a one month lockdown straight off?
    what was the thing Paul Murphy said about informing the plebs of your real plans...

• Advertisement

listening to Simon coveney on prime time would make you sick. Trying to sound like a veteran epidemiologist whilst dismissing experts sitting feet away from him. Stick to making a shambles of housing Simon, you leverett!

Also is it me or are the HSE only recruiting "experts" with glasses and beedy eyes?? are the also trying to "impression manage" as though we have stereo typical scientists on the case. One such "nerd-alike" crumbled to bits when cornered over protocol regards testing, the squirming and shyte talk was off the charts!

Can I ask, if it lasts on hard surfaces for so long (up to days), wouldn't money which is kept often in pockets and can be moist and at body temperature, be a breeding ground and also a great medium for transfer which dint't fit standard transfer in the community? also the sharing of notes common "notes" / devices for the use of cocaine snorting and the likes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement