Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

niallo27 wrote: »
    Any with germany.

Only France and Italy AFAIK. Have not come across others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lads.. Ffs it's spelt Moron. Not Moran.

MORON.

examiner-9-scaled.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

ForestFire wrote: »
    True.. But that is any day of last week... Or the week before...

But I agree, why would you go down at the busy most insane and packed time with so much close contact with lots of people

Maybe it's the panic that has set in, unlike some of the peppers here, that casually and gradually built up some supplies over weeks, and ironically called the panickers!

I can now stay out of the shops for a few days and return again at off peak times when the fresh stock comes in.

I went to Lidl this morning at about 10:30 to do my regular weekly shop and maybe pick up an extra loaf of bread or two for the freezer. It was eerily quiet when I went in and by the time I was checking out it was mayhem, I was 12 to in a line of 16 trolleys and all working checkouts were the same. That was BEFORE the school closure announcement.

I can’t even begin to to imagine the carnage that came after wards :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Only France and Italy AFAIK. Have not come across others.

I think if we had one with germany it might be cause for optimism. Their deaths are really low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Since we arent going to stop air travel for a period our faith is very much tied to how this plays out in the UK.

Clearly the brits have accepted mass deaths. Theyve a strained health system but at the same time have massive resources in terms of man power and equipment. They also have a large well equiped military.

Their experts are saying this is a 12 week exercise.

The schools here wont open again until septemeber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'm not going to post my petition but ehhhh... They just seriously need to impose travel restrictions.

do you have enough posts to add a signature under your posts? a lot of users have them hidden, but you could put a link in there....
    edit, i see youre here since 2015, i thought you were a newbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

JDD wrote: »
    Has anyone talked about Katie porter yet? Apparently the head of the CDC in the States has the authority to release federal funds so that getting tested and treated in a national health emergency is free.

So Katie porter, a congresswoman, grills him until he agrees to trigger this power, which means everyone in the US will be able to get tested, and if positive, get their treatment for free.

This is monumental, not least because the CDC guy is a Trump appointee.

This will protect all of. It may prevent the US beaming a basket case that keeps reinfecting the rest of the world.

Yes and no.

The director of the CDC has the authority to pay for the care and treatment of patients, but, it is subject to the availability of appropriations, in other words there is no guarantee that Federal Funds will be made available to cover it becaue the CDC has no legal entitlement to the funding. It still requires a Presidential Order to release the funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lads.. Ffs it's spelt Moron. Not Moran.

MORON.

Wooooshhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I have said it for years. Coveney is like Enda. He can only perform when completely coached on a subject. He cannot wing it whatsoever and is easily caught out.

Leo is much more capable.

Id trust coveney a million times more than Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,945 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lads back in my town from Cheltenham already tonight so I'd imagine there are hundreds more back in other towns already.

Thing is, we will never know what effect it had.

If the figures rocket up now over the next few weeks, I can't see the gov quoting figures like

25 new cases linked to Italy
    45 new cases linked to cross community transmission
    50 cos they were thick and went to the horses

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think if we had one with germany it might be cause for optimism.

um, on deaths perhaps but that's increasing now (6 in the last 48 hours) and their rate of infection is rocketing.

Up nearly 800 in the last 24 hrs.

It's up there with Spain.

Countries across the continent will have to implement draconian restrictions to bring this under control.

Time is nearly up for indecision in Germany, Spain, France.

I have said it for years. Coveney is like Enda. He can only perform when completely coached on a subject. He cannot wing it whatsoever and is easily caught out.

Exactly and this subject matter is far beyond his reach, he comes off as clueless and dismissive and even child like. but but but the WHO said......

I cannot stand the sight of Leo Varadkar either.....that said, he was the man for the job today, regardless of location..he did ok I thought, credit there for just getting through the speech and delivering a hard ask of any nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Coveney has come across as one of the best speakers i have seen in a long time and i don't vote FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

NIMAN wrote: »

If the figures rocket up now over the next few weeks, I can't see the gov quoting figures like

Can imagine them all there laughing and sneering about the virus.

Morons of the highest order.

Think they are above it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Irish Examiner

thats a bit dramatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

A lot of people still not taking this seriously.

Italy have 7000 ventilators. We don't have a fraction of that. Their surgeons/and stretched medical staff now include medical students such is the scale of the contagion. The number of ventilators and care required is dictating decisions on who lives and who dies (people over 60 a cut off point). Their Healthcare system is on the brink of collapsing.

Italy are ranked ahead of Ireland in terms of Healthcare. The majority of cases are in Northern Italy which has a very good Health system, infinitely better than Ireland.

I suggest anyone who is in doubt or is accusing anyone of scare mongering or mass hysteria reads this report from inside Italy yesterday - ITV.

In 4 weeks, Italy have went from 3 cases and zero dead to 15,113 cases and 1,106 dead.

If people don't effectively hibernate, to slow this down, and allow those currently impacted and need to use tube ventilators, our death toll will be really depressing.

It needs to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

flynnlives wrote: »
    Since we arent going to stop air travel for a period our faith is very much tied to how this plays out in the UK.

Clearly the brits have accepted mass deaths. Theyve a strained health system but at the same time have massive resources in terms of man power and equipment. They also have a large well equiped military.

Their experts are saying this is a 12 week exercise.

The schools here wont open again until septemeber.

That could change in a flash. You could wake up tomorrow morning to hear all flights in and out of the country have been halted, bar the return of Irish nationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

STB. wrote: »

Italy have 7000 ventilators. We don't have a fraction of that. Their surgeons/and stretched medical staff now include medical students such is the scale of the contagion. The number of ventilators and care required is dictating decisions on who lives and who dies (people over 60 a cut off point). Their Healthcare system is on the brink of collapsing.

Italy are ranked ahead of Ireland in terms of Healthcare. The majority of cases are in Northern Italy which has a very good Health system, infinite ly better than Irelands.

I suggest anyone who is in doubt or is accusing anyone of scare mongering or mass hysteria reads this report from inside Italy yesterday - ITV.

In 4 weeks, Italy have went from 3 cases and zero dead to 15,113 cases and 1,106 dead.

If people don't effectively hibernate, to slow this down, and allow those who need to use tube ventilators, our death toll will be really depressing.

It needs to be said.

Yep.

Irish people have a sarcastic it will be OK attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Every single gob****e who went to chelthenham should be branded with a hot poker on the forehead as they come of the plane.

It will make contact tracing so much easier in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Can imagine them all there laughing and sneering about the virus.

Morons of the highest order.

Think they are above it all.

Well gamblers are the most destructive people in society, they always think the next one is the winner.

In addiction circles they're lower than drug addicts and alcoholics.
    Because they're hooked, so I suppose it's easy to see why these pitiful people couldn't resist or have the sense to stay at home.

In reality they're loosers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NIMAN wrote: »

Only if cheltenham population becomes a hotspot or lots of horsey folk start getting sick. They should Force them all to register themselves on some database so they can record actual data about sporting events to see if the “science suggests sports events don’t make much difference”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

rusty cole wrote: »
    Exactly and this subject matter is far beyond his reach, he comes off as clueless and dismissive and even child like. but but but the WHO said......

I cannot stand the sight of Leo Varadkar either.....that said, he was the man for the job today, regardless of location..he did ok I thought, credit there for just getting through the speech and delivering a hard ask of any nation.

If anyone thinks any other politician in power would do better then they are deluded - this is not a bit of snow, it's a once in a hundred year catastrophe and everyone is learning how to deal with it. WHO have been useless, governments across Europe don't know what the best thing to do is - they are scrambling at solutions like closing schools etc to try and save their country

Some people are just thriving on dissing the current government because of whatever personal reasons.

I think the government we have has taken very decisive decisions, that will hopefully help in the long run, a lot faster than other countries have - but no matter what they will never be seen as doing the right thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Yep.

Irish people have a sarcastic it will be OK attitude.

I think that’s a bit unfair.

Most Irish people will comply with this.

My mother is in her 60’s. I think I’ve seen her cry maybe three times in my life time, one of this was today, with fear.

People are terrified. In the main no one wants this at their door and most are prepared to do whatever it takes to lessen/slow the impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

um, on deaths perhaps but that's increasing now (6 in the last 48 hours) and their rate of infection is rocketing.

Italy in just 4 weeks (and with more ventilators).

Feb 19 - 3 Cases
    Feb 20 - 4 Cases
    Feb 21 - 21 Cases (1 Dead)
    Feb 22 - 79 Cases (2 Dead)
    Feb 23 - 157 Cases (3 Dead)
    Feb 24 - 229 Cases (7 dead)
    Feb 25 - 323 Cases (11 Dead)
    Feb 26 - 477 Cases (12 Dead)
    Feb 27 - 655 Cases (17 Dead)
    Feb 28 - 889 Cases (21 Dead)
    Feb 29 - 1128 Cases (29 Dead)
    Mar 1 - 1701 Cases (41 Dead)
    Mar 2 - 2036 Cases (52 Dead)
    Mar 3 - 2502 Cases (79 Dead)
    Mar 4 - 3089 Cases (107 Dead)
    Mar 5 - 3858 Cases (148 Dead)
    Mar 6 - 4636 Cases (197 Dead)
    Mar 7 - 5883 Cases (233 Dead)
    Mar 8 - 7375 Cases (366 Dead)
    Mar 9 - 9172 Cases (463 Dead)
    Mar 10 -10149 Cases (631 Dead)
    Mar 11 -12462 Cases (827 Dead)
    Mar 12 - 15113 Cases (1016 Dead)

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

If anyone wants some interesting reading before bed . . . Check out the Liverpool thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Id trust coveney a million times more than Leo.
    Oh my god really, not after this interview. He 's from my constituency, I used see him around from time to time before he got so high-profile and there was just an air of untrustworthiness about him.

do you have enough posts to add a signature under your posts? a lot of users have them hidden, but you could put a link in there....
    edit, i see youre here since 2015, i thought you were a newbie
    I tried to do that earlier but I'm on mobile, when I switched to desktop view I still couldn't find it... I'll try on the computer there in a minute. Thanks for the tip!
    examiner-9-scaled.jpg
    Hopefully would give the elderly a bit of consolation to see, but they probably shouldn't be out and about and I doubt they get it online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

It’s not just about self-isolation, it’s also about reducing demand for precious hospital beds

- stop taking drunk arseholes to A&E

- postpone all activities that could result in an injury, eg football, rugby,
    trampolines,etc. and drive more safely

- don’t dump your grannies in A&E just because you can’t be arsed to look after
    them, especially if they have diseases like COPD and Heart Failure.

This takes away from the teams of clinicians and nurses who could be dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak

Useful additions to the hand washing etc. advice ? (from Guardian comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

STB. wrote: »

AFAIK something like 50% of all ventilators are made in Ireland so we really shouldn't have a shortage of them if push comes to shove. I would agree though that some people certainly need to take this more seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

gabeeg wrote: »
    If you don't test you don't know what you're dealing with, and you won't know if the measures you're taking are working

Sorry, but I genuinely don't understand this.
    Numbers being reported by all countries are only related to the amount of people they are testing.
    Up until now (and I understand this has changed today) we were only testing people with symptoms who had either traveled from a very limited number of regions or had close contact with somebody who had.
    But we know that lots of other people who don't fit this criteria are infected (example being the Galway cases who had travelled to Austria which was not on the risk list).
    And that's just Ireland. Other countries numbers are also totally determined by their testing conditions.
    So what is the point in these numbers?
    Is it just a case of they are better than nothing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement