Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The mass hysteria and overreacting is ridiculous. Take precautions, practice good hygeine and follow precautions put in place it's not the end of the world. Prioritize the elderly and get on with life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It’s not just about self-isolation, it’s also about reducing demand for precious hospital beds

- stop taking drunk arseholes to A&E

- postpone all activities that could result in an injury, eg football, rugby,
    trampolines,etc. and drive more safely

- don’t dump your grannies in A&E just because you can’t be arsed to look after
    them, especially if they have diseases like COPD and Heart Failure.

These measures reduce the amount in pubs, reduce traffic and sporting bodies have called off their fixtures. So double benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

rusty cole wrote: »
    you're still handing your card to another person in many cases, not all but many.

I just think this is a way to pass it on, by handling cash..they say not one note is without a trace of cocaine!! on that basis, give it weeks and the same can easily be said for Covid no?

No you don’t. You either tap or insert it into the card reader. I never hand my card to anyone.

STB. wrote: »
    Italy in just 4 weeks (and with more ventilators).

Feb 19 - 3 Cases
    Feb 20 - 4 Cases
    Feb 21 - 21 Cases (1 Dead)
    Feb 22 - 79 Cases (2 Dead)
    Feb 23 - 157 Cases (3 Dead)
    Feb 24 - 229 Cases (7 dead)
    Feb 25 - 323 Cases (11 Dead)
    Feb 26 - 477 Cases (12 Dead)
    Feb 27 - 655 Cases (17 Dead)
    Feb 28 - 889 Cases (21 Dead)
    Feb 29 - 1128 Cases (29 Dead)
    Mar 1 - 1701 Cases (41 Dead)
    Mar 2 - 2036 Cases (52 Dead)
    Mar 3 - 2502 Cases (79 Dead)
    Mar 4 - 3089 Cases (107 Dead)
    Mar 5 - 3858 Cases (148 Dead)
    Mar 6 - 4636 Cases (197 Dead)
    Mar 7 - 5883 Cases (233 Dead)
    Mar 8 - 7375 Cases (366 Dead)
    Mar 9 - 9172 Cases (463 Dead)
    Mar 10 -10149 Cases (631 Dead)
    Mar 11 -12462 Cases (827 Dead)
    Mar 12 - 15113 Cases (1016 Dead)

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

Italy also has a direct flight link to wuhan and large chinese population Afaik

But even allowing for that,if those numbers were scaled to irish population figures,what would they be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ITman88 wrote: »
    If anyone wants some interesting reading before bed . . . Check out the Liverpool thread

Read one page.

It's enough to make you question Darwinism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

I firmly beleive this north, south, east, west location ****e has made the situation worse.

People got complacent.

"7 cases in the south, sure that could be anywhere, definitly not around my location..."

And thus they didnt change any of their behaviour.

Ive some inside knowledge for a large hospital in the west so i knew how many where in there. So i made some small changes. But i noticed nothing different with the general populace.

Has there been any other country with this vague bull**** location ****e?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Is there stages to excepting this Sh1t? I went from a nervous wreck to a more numb but calm person these last couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You sound like a Denny's sausages and brioche bun kinda guy. Freezer full of burgers. A cucumber your one vegetable and, um, no legumes. But you can watch The Irishman on Netflix, along with other American mafia classics like The Godfather, and Goodfellahs, variously starring the superb Bobby DeNero, Mr. Al Pacino, and pint sized Oscar award winning Joe Pesci. Sitting in your chair, your balding head glistens as you reach for the remote.

Prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

People dying all because some people had to have their holiday. Sick. Confirmed family case from my local village , just back from skying holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Its actually 9110 ;)

I think you'll find that '10 times 9/11' is 8.(18)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy also has a direct flight link to wuhan and large chinese population Afaik

But even allowing for that,if those numbers were scaled to irish population figures,what would they be??

What population figure are you scaling it too?

Just the north of Italy because that is the core of the problem.

Once it's in among a community it spreads rapidly regardless of the country, population or region.

Look at the multi hundred daily increases in cases in the Nordic countries...

flynnlives wrote: »
    I firmly beleive this north, south, east, west location ****e has made the situation worse.

People got complacent.

"7 cases in the south, sure that could be anywhere, definitly not around my location..."

And thus they didnt change any of their behaviour.

Ive some inside knowledge for a large hospital in the west so i knew how many where in there. So i made some small changes. But i noticed nothing different with the general populace.

Has there been any other country with this vague bull**** location ****e?

Tbh ireland is too small a country to keep it vague....it was out all over the town,hours before being announced the waterford case,and where he worked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Does anyone remember the 2009 H1N1 pandemic ....only infected 60m worldwide with many thousands in hundreds deaths

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

I've been racking my brains but can't recall the armageddon scenario we're seeing now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    AFAIK something like 50% of all ventilators are made in Ireland so we really shouldn't have a shortage of them if push comes to shove. I would agree though that some people certainly need to take this more seriously.

Ventilators need a team of skilled intensive care nurses to monitor them and look after the unconscious patient.

Intensive care nurses do not just drop out of the sky, and if they are off sick or in self isolation
    > BIG problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Just got a message girl at work was in very close contact with suspected case. We were all around her today and working remotely from tomorrow but I’m guessing I need to ring HSE just in case now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    AFAIK something like 50% of all ventilators are made in Ireland so we really shouldn't have a shortage of them if push comes to shove. I would agree though that some people certainly need to take this more seriously.

And during the Great Famine Ireland produced tonnes and tonnes of grain but none of it made it to Irish tables and so millions starved to death.

If Ireland are producing that many ventilators then they are likely bought and paid for and likely there is already huge pressure from their clients to deliver those (I assume they are not producing such a large amount except to export).

If push comes to shove it would take a government with a genuine spine to intervene and take possession of those ventilators. Do we have a government with a backbone when push comes to shove?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

fin12 wrote: »
    People dying all because some people had to have their holiday. Sick. Confirmed family case from my local village , just back from skying holiday.

Where's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ann22 wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Any use of the Army would be practical help needed in various places, not that they're expecting riots on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Arlene not happy we didn't tell here what was going to happen down here like she always tells us what she's going to do.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0312/1121934-foster-northern-ireland-covid-19/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

It’s not just about self-isolation, it’s also about reducing demand for precious hospital beds

- stop taking drunk arseholes to A&E

- postpone all activities that could result in an injury, eg football, rugby,
    trampolines,etc. and drive more safely

- don’t dump your grannies in A&E just because you can’t be arsed to look after
    them, especially if they have diseases like COPD and Heart Failure.

This takes away from the teams of clinicians and nurses who could be dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak

Useful additions to the hand washing etc. advice ? (from Guardian comments)

Im reliably informed that University hospital limerick only took in around 12 patients via a and e last weekend.
    The shutdown scared away all the idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

fritzelly wrote: »
    Arlene not happy we didn't tell here what was going to happen down here like she always tells us what she's going to do.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0312/1121934-foster-northern-ireland-covid-19/

But she has free reign to copy us tomorrow, she should either put up or shut up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Prick

Got this Beasty! Yellow card Mysterio! Uncivil bla bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Oh My God....just watching the movie 'Contagion' (2011) featuring Matt Damon & Jude Law. Scary parallels with our current real virus situation.

Yes it's a Hollywood movie, and yes they've added a lot of artistic licence and needless drama, but it's a virus movie nonetheless, and it's scary, and it's thought provoking too!

CONTAGION.

Saw your post, stopped reading the thread and watched it. Very surreal, lots of similarities throughout. Eerie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the 2009 H1N1 pandemic ....only infected 60m worldwide with many thousands in hundreds deaths

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

I've been racking my brains but can't recall the armageddon scenario we're seeing now

I barely remember it, don’t recall it as disruptive as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

flynnlives wrote: »
    Im reliably informed that University hospital limerick only took in around 12 patients via a and e last week.
    The shutdown scared away all the idiots.

Great that means there’s a couple hundred trolleys freed up. We’re ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Where's that?

In Cork but I can’t name the village, a group of about 14 went skiing in North Italy.

What population figure are you scaling it too?

Just the north of Italy because that is the core of the problem.

Once it's in among a community it spreads rapidly regardless of the country, population or region.

Look at the multi hundred daily increases in cases in the Nordic countries...

Something like 40% italian cases are now outside the orginal red zone...the 1st 10 towns locked down have had no new cases today

Im not doubting the figures (italy has been v.open),framce has twice as many cases iirc

Like realistivally we will be north ofe 2K cases by next weekend,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

And during the Great Famine Ireland produced tonnes and tonnes of grain but none of it made it to Irish tables and so millions starved to death.

If Ireland are producing that many ventilators then they are likely bought and paid for and likely there is already huge pressure from their clients to deliver those (I assume they are not producing such a large amount except to export).

If push comes to shove it would take a government with a genuine spine to intervene and take possession of those ventilators. Do we have a government with a backbone when push comes to shove?

Not a hope would they block them leaving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement