Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

STB. wrote: »
    A lot of people still not taking this seriously.

Italy have 7000 ventilators. We don't have a fraction of that. Their surgeons/and stretched medical staff now include medical students such is the scale of the contagion. The number of ventilators and care required is dictating decisions on who lives and who dies (people over 60 a cut off point). Their Healthcare system is on the brink of collapsing.

Italy are ranked ahead of Ireland in terms of Healthcare. The majority of cases are in Northern Italy which has a very good Health system, infinitely better than Ireland.

I suggest anyone who is in doubt or is accusing anyone of scare mongering or mass hysteria reads this report from inside Italy yesterday - ITV.

In 4 weeks, Italy have went from 3 cases and zero dead to 15,113 cases and 1,106 dead.

If people don't effectively hibernate, to slow this down, and allow those currently impacted and need to use tube ventilators, our death toll will be really depressing.

It needs to be said.

Italy waited weeks before they implemented any restrictions. They already had over 100 deaths before they even closed schools. One of the biggest predictors of how the pandemic will turn out in each country is how quickly the government and citizens respond.
    Italy was incredibly slow to adequately respond to the outbreak and the result of that is thousands of people getting sick.
    The UK is going the very same way. They have hundreds of confirmed cases but havnt introduced any restrictions. All those confirmed cases have already spread the virus to other people who are spreading it on to others. Cheltenham still going ahead, 60,000 people at that festival and theyve already had 10 deaths.
    In Ireland nightclubs and pubs are shutting down because of indoor restrictions of over 100 people. All schools and Universities closed and thats after only 1 death and 46 confirmed cases of the virus.
    I dont think we have too much to worry about. Our government acted on this surprising well, they even went so far as to introduce a basic wage for anyone who cant work.
    Be grateful youre in Ireland right now and not the UK or Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s not just about self-isolation, it’s also about reducing demand for precious hospital beds

- stop taking drunk arseholes to A&E

- postpone all activities that could result in an injury, eg football, rugby,
    trampolines,etc. and drive more safely

- don’t dump your grannies in A&E just because you can’t be arsed to look after
    them, especially if they have diseases like COPD and Heart Failure.

This takes away from the teams of clinicians and nurses who could be dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak

Useful additions to the hand washing etc. advice ? (from Guardian comments)

Italians from high risk regions presenting with symptoms have been told not to go to hospitals as the system is so overwhelmed. Basically stay at home and survive or die. We haven’t a hope here if we reach anything close to what they are experiencing.

If anyone here knows anyone who can make things happen, as in get stuff organised in an emergency, I found this very useful info the last night.

DIY ventilator created by MIT students for under $100

ventilator1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Great that means there’s a couple hundred trolleys freed up. We’re ready!

Even hard to get a Supermarket trolley these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fin12 wrote: »
    In Cork but I can’t name the village, a group of about 14 went skiing in North Italy.

Did anyone not go skiing to Northern Italy this Spring? In about 10 days we're going to see posts about groups of people who were at Cheltenham being diagnosed with this virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

In Cork but I can’t name the village, a group of about 14 went skiing in North Italy.

Does it begin and end with a "K"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

flynnlives wrote: »
    Im reliably informed that University hospital limerick only took in around 12 patients via a and e last weekend.
    The shutdown scared away all the idiots.

That's really interesting. So our poor health system issues down the years might be less to do with HSE and governments but more to do with our stupid and selfish behaviour.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm being serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Snoddy wrote: »
    I was in tesco today and it was crazy, nuts. They had no toilet paper at all. I headed to the checkouts to find a member of staff, I asked yer wan if there was any toilet roll at all and she gave me the dirtiest look and the firmest NO! I've ever heard.
    Walking back to the toilets with my pants and trousers around my ankles was a walk I never ever want to do again.
    We all know who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Can anyone confirm if it's 1M or 2M or as RTE claim tonight 1.5M. I was always told to go to the highest level of PPE if in doubt. You would think that the advice would be consistent.
    Another thing I've noticed Italy have 6 times more ICU beds than the figures for deaths so clearly ventilation is not the magic cure I was hoping.

Is English premiership still on with crowds???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've noticed this thread has been noticeably missing all the crap it's only flu, only old people die etc comments today
    Has it hit home for a lot of people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Italy waited weeks before they implemented any restrictions. They already had over 100 deaths before they even closed schools. One of the biggest predictors of how the pandemic will turn out in each country is how quickly the government and citizens respond.
    Italy was incredibly slow to adequately respond to the outbreak and the result of that is thousands of people getting sick.
    The UK is going the very same way. They have hundreds of confirmed cases but havnt introduced any restrictions. All those confirmed cases have already spread the virus to other people who are spreading it on to others. Cheltenham still going ahead, 60,000 people at that festival and theyve already had 10 deaths.
    In Ireland nightclubs and pubs are shutting down because of indoor restrictions of over 100 people. All schools and Universities closed and thats after only 1 death and 46 confirmed cases of the virus.
    I dont think we have too much to worry about. Our government acted on this surprising well, they even went so far as to introduce a basic wage for anyone who cant work.

We are importing Cheltenham eejits to provide more infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Did anyone not go skiing to Northern Italy this Spring? In about 10 days we're going to see posts about groups of people who were at Cheltenham being diagnosed with this virus.

They had their fun, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

What utter bollocks. Italy is a country of 60 million. Math and statistics not your strong point. Head back to to FG forum for your next post briefing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

People dying all because some people had to have their holiday. Sick. Confirmed family case from my local village , just back from skying holiday.

In fairness it’s not like they knew beforehand. I would question the sanity of anyone traveling anywhere now in light of what we know and the Cheltenham lot should be strung by the balls but it’s unfair to call people “sick” when they weren’t to know what was about to unfold. Some people have infected family members. They hardly did it on purpose. People travelled when Italy was grand and then came back to the shlt hitting the fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the 2009 H1N1 pandemic ....only infected 60m worldwide with many thousands in hundreds deaths

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

I've been racking my brains but can't recall the armageddon scenario we're seeing now
    Yes remember it well, swine flu.

It certainly did not create as much drama as this one.

I think there might have been a vaccination or it did not spread as easily as this one, something made it less potent.

M

How did the human race ever make it this far with the level of panic some people are showing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fritzelly wrote: »
    I've noticed this thread has been noticeably missing all the crap it's only flu, only old people die etc comments today
    Has it hit home for a lot of people?

The measures announced are, unfortunately, probably just the start.

The government is flying kites to test how the public might react to more extreme measures down the road in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Can u get the virus from glasses and cutlery? I was thinking if u were in a quiet pub ( social distancing) but is there still risk of getting the virus from the glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Adiboo wrote: »
    Does it begin and end with a "K"?

No

• Advertisement
    M

Cash For Ash report getting published tomorrow afternoon, talk about perfect timing for Arlene...

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0313/1121975-rhi-cash-for-ash-report/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    AFAIK something like 50% of all ventilators are made in Ireland so we really shouldn't have a shortage of them if push comes to shove. I would agree though that some people certainly need to take this more seriously.

I have yet to see a journalist get an answer to the question of how many there are. I would imagine its a fraction of the 7000 they have in Italy and they have had to make hard decisions about who gets treated and who doesn't.

About 10% of those who have tested positive have been admitted to ICU because of respiratory failure that requires ventilation.

Not all ventilators are in the one place either. If people don't take the advice about social distancing seriously, we are heading into a shítstorm that will put the Italian experience in the shade. If anything people did the opposite today congregating in mass numbers in supermarkets.

It's very worrying.

Riddle me this - Why wouldn't every self employed person in the country suddenly get sick and claim the €610 illness benefit payment?

You ring your GP, tell them the symptoms over the phone, they tell you to self isolate, and send a cert to Social Welfare, and then you apply for the money? It seems a handy few euro?

Must be very easily open to abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Is there perhaps a map or something showing what parts of the country have confirmed cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Yes remember it well, swine flu.

It certainly did not create as much drama as this one.

I think there might have been a vaccination or it did not spread as easily as this one, something made it less potent.

H1N1 was just another flu strain though, it had a quicker than normal vaccine created using a modified well researched H5N1 vaccine.

SARS-CoV-2 is something completely new which is not even fully understood yet, it is also the first ever coronavirus to spread like this and be declared a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can u get the virus from glasses and cutlery? I was thinking if u were in a quiet pub ( social distancing) but is there still risk of getting the virus from the glass?

You can catch it from any object given the right circumstances like licking stuff - the "shelf life" of the virus depends on many factors like the medium, the temperature etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yes remember it well, swine flu. Something made it less potent.

Yes, the lack of social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What utter bollocks. Italy is a country of 60 million. Math and statistics not your strong point.

All of Italy is not suffering to the same extent as a region of approx 16 million people which accounts for the vast, vast majority of cases and deaths in the country - most of them around Lombardy.

Your logic therefore is flawed.

It's not as simple as "Italy has 60 million people"

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

The shutdown should have happened last friday.

Todays decision was reactionary. Whilst im glad they did act i think its still not enough.

I would go straight to where italy is now. Close all non essential work for 2 weeks. This would hopefully help straighten the curve.

And the end of those 2 weeks we could start some normality again in terms of work. Schools etc all would remain closed.
    This would buy us another 2 weeks before cases begin to increase again.

So in this 4 week period i would do the following:

-Convert all on campus accommodation in all the universities to covid treatment centre/hospitals

-Train 2,000 public sector employees in contact tracing. They arent working so get them doing contact tracing

-expand testing with facilities in each regional cities and provide round the clock results

-source or confiscate as many ventiltors as possible from the mnc's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very low risk apparently. The virus can survive on surfaces but most infections seem to be from person to person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement