Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

In fairness it’s not like they knew beforehand. I would question the sanity of anyone traveling anywhere now in light of what we know and the Cheltenham lot should be strung by the balls but it’s unfair to call people “sick” when they weren’t to know what was about to unfold. Some people have infected family members. They hardly did it on purpose.

Sorry they are only back 2 weeks if most. I think most sane people knew to avoid north Italy for at least the last month.

Riddle me this - Why wouldn't every self employed person in the country suddenly get sick and claim the €610 illness benefit payment?

You ring your GP, tell them the symptoms over the phone, they tell you to self isolate, and send a cert to Social Welfare, and then you apply for the money? It seems a handy few euro?

Must be very easily open to abuse?

Pretty sure you have to test positive for this to qualify for the e305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It’s not just about self-isolation, it’s also about reducing demand for precious hospital beds

- stop taking drunk arseholes to A&E

- postpone all activities that could result in an injury, eg football, rugby,
    trampolines,etc. and drive more safely

- don’t dump your grannies in A&E just because you can’t be arsed to look after
    them, especially if they have diseases like COPD and Heart Failure.

This takes away from the teams of clinicians and nurses who could be dealing with the Coronavirus outbreak
    school is so hospital visit prone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A week is a long time in politics, but it ain't got nothing on Coronavirus :( Sleep well all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

fritzelly wrote:
    I've noticed this thread has been noticeably missing all the crap it's only flu, only old people die etc comments today Has it hit home for a lot of people?

Even if it has, does it make you feel happier to know you were right and they were wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The measures announced are, unfortunately, probably just the start.

The government is flying kites to test how the public might react to more extreme measures down the road in my opinion.

Several soldiers and guards will be posted to every supermarket at the same time of the next announcement. I expect it on Monday 12pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why are RTE not reporting on the number of people on hospital trolleys around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

How did the human race ever make it this far with the level of panic some people are showing?

It seems to me the only people panicking are those who are going around saying everyone is panicking can everyone please stop panicking

It’s not panic to identify and recognize a risk, and then to discuss it.

You’ll feel more relaxed back in Thread 1 & 2, you’ll find similar type of posters there.

Riddle me this - Why wouldn't every self employed person in the country suddenly get sick and claim the €610 illness benefit payment?

You ring your GP, tell them the symptoms over the phone, they tell you to self isolate, and send a cert to Social Welfare, and then you apply for the money? It seems a handy few euro?

Have to think that people are above this. I know my dad is self employed and he'd never take advantage like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

fritzelly wrote: »
    I've noticed this thread has been noticeably missing all the crap it's only flu, only old people die etc comments today
    Has it hit home for a lot of people?

Well elderly people being the most vulnerable still applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ironicname wrote: »
    Even if it has, does it make you feel happier to know you were right and they were wrong?

Yes, so people start taking it seriously instead of brushing it off as just another flu blah blah

Such a crass comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What were the numbers as in weeks behind italy with the other european. Looks like France,germany and spain may be about 2 weeks behind.
    Italys numbers.. you can see where the hospital f*cked up at the start and the number exploded after 2 weeks. Hope that does not happen here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think Most people won’t abuse it. There is always a person who will abuse the system but most follow the rules and have a conscience. Also, it’s fraud, most people wouldn’t do it for €600 quid

Pretty sure you have to test positive for this to qualify for the e305

That cant be true, no its surely if you are told to self isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Several soldiers and guards will be posted to every supermarket at the same time of the next announcement. I expect it on Monday 12pm.

Just looking at a 3 mile circle of where I live that would require coverage for 10 supermarkets, then you would have large shops that would be nearly supermarkets which would be another 20 plus. The current manning/womanning levels don't support required coverage for this or anything near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

fin12 wrote: »
    In Cork but I can’t name the village, a group of about 14 went skiing in North Italy.

I accept you can’t name it , but you might give the first and last letters :)

Realistically we are looking at about 30% front line staff not been available. This is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

All on campus accommodation around the country will be empty next week.

The gov should step in and rapidly convert them to treatment centres.

They are going to be empty for 6 months. There aint gonna be any tourists in ireland this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

flynnlives wrote: »
    Im reliably informed that University hospital limerick only took in around 12 patients via a and e last weekend.
    The shutdown scared away all the idiots.

Same all over other a+e in the country. I wonder why?

Hopefully a study will be done as to why so many people attend, but don’t feel the need to do so now in case they get Infected. honestly.

I’m not referring to genuine emergencies blue lighted in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Strazdas wrote: »
    Very low risk apparently. The virus can survive on surfaces but most infections seem to be from person to person.

I didn’t even think of it but my friend said it to me so I don’t know. I heard the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces.

The government are telling restaurants to implement social distancing but they are not saying anything about the glasses and cutlery.

• Advertisement

Realistically we are looking at about 30% front line staff not been available. This is massive.

What you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think that’s a bit unfair.

Most Irish people will comply with this.

My mother is in her 60’s. I think I’ve seen her cry maybe three times in my life time, one of this was today, with fear.

People are terrified. In the main no one wants this at their door and most are prepared to do whatever it takes to lessen/slow the impact.

It home for an awful lot of people today. I was lucky enough that I'd managed to educate myself a few weeks ago and have been able to let this sink bit by bit. I came onto the predecessor to one of these threads assuming that what I'd read would ease the little worries that were starting to nag at my brain and had my eyes opened. Since then I've been preparing myself bit by bit, practically and emotionally in a variety of ways. I've a well stocked kitchen. A range of plans for how to get through lockdown with a child. I've also carefully talked to my child in lots of small conversations for the last few weeks and prepared him as much as I could for what's about to happen.

Yet I cried inconsolably when the announcement came today. I wondered if it was that bad for me, someone who was as ready as possible for today what it would be like for people who'd been ignorant of or in denial about what we are about to face. And now I guess we know that the shock came out in panic buying. Some people freaked out and rushed to maybe get their weekly shop done before the kids came out of school and once word got out through social media, full scale panic happened. I can't actually imagine what it would have been like to have been living a normal life like I was a month ago and to be suddenly dropped into reality in a moment. It's scary enough to those of us who have acclimatised. So while today's shopping debacle was stupid, I don't think it was a sign of anything other than a brief display of genuine panic and herd mentality once people knew it was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well elderly people being the most vulnerable still applies.

Absolutely, but now it's hitting home for them - it's not all about you not being in that goldilocks zone where you are not at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

And what do you think they’ll announce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

spookwoman wrote: »
    What were the numbers as in weeks behind italy with the other european. Looks like France,germany and spain may be about 2 weeks behind.
    Italys numbers.. you can see where the hospital f*cked up at the start and the number exploded after 2 weeks. Hope that does not happen here

France Spain and Germany are a week or possibly less behind Italy at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry they are only back 2 weeks if most. I think most sane people knew to avoid north Italy for at least the last month.
    My friend's boss went skiing to a location somewhere in the Alps (he won't disclose where) and was back earlier this week. He usually works from home most of the time anyway, when my friend requested he do this (because his wife and child are immunocompromised) his boss said "I'm not staying away from my own business, you're being hysterical" and my friend has had to stay out of work without pay since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Same all over other a+e in the country. I wonder why?

Hopefully a study will be done as to why so many people attend, but don’t feel the need to do so now in case they get Infected. honestly.

I’m not referring to genuine emergencies blue lighted in

People don't want to be there in case of infection and then others just saying don't want to take up a bed

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

I will be working from home next weeks, got enough food, toilet paper, beer and whisky for long time. No more luas for me.

As a Finn, Ireland perhaps should learn something from us. We have been preparing for this for a long time.

Bus stops before corona:
    mkegpcf.png

gtkuuU5.jpg

Relaxing at home with some alcohol instead of going out. I would recommend kalsarikänni, “drinking at home, alone, in your underwear”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/07/how-the-finnish-liftestyle-of-getting-drunk-while-wearing-pants-became-the-new-hygge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

25785300-8098517-Mark_Handley_tweeted_this_graph_charting_the_growth_of_cases_in_-a-6_1583938187251.jpg

It's amazing to see the consistency across the vast majority of countries. You can predict numbers with a decent amount of accuracy because the trend lines of rate of increase are all virtually the same.

The only difference is the delay in days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ITman88 wrote: »
    If anyone wants some interesting reading before bed . . . Check out the Liverpool thread

Are they setting up a petition?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement