Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Watching a programme on RTE1 makes this virus look tame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I wouldn’t put too much faith in the “good” news of Italy’s original lockdown region reporting no new cases today. My guess is in a region that is surely suffering the largest proportion of 189 deaths just today that there isn’t much spare medical attention to coordinate and perform testing - hope I’m wrong, but that’s a s**t tonne of critical people to try to care for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Yes, the lack of social media

I was only thinking about this today. I don’t remember being this worried about swine flu and I caught the fcuking thing. I didn’t even know it was a pandemic until a few days ago. Social media has made us all cuckoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hudur wrote: »
    I will be working from home next weeks, got enough food, toilet paper, beer and whisky for long time. No more luas for me.

As a Finn, Ireland perhaps should learn something from us. We have been preparing for this for a long time.

Bus stops before corona:
    mkegpcf.png

gtkuuU5.jpg

Relaxing at home with some alcohol instead of going out. I would recommend kalsarikänni, “drinking at home, alone, in your underwear”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/07/how-the-finnish-liftestyle-of-getting-drunk-while-wearing-pants-became-the-new-hygge

Corona causes first case of snowfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

sparkle109 wrote: »
    And what do you think they’ll announce?

One loaf of bread and 250ml of water for each individual and government offer "pay to house" scheme for prison inmates to television licence holders only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

25785300-8098517-Mark_Handley_tweeted_this_graph_charting_the_growth_of_cases_in_-a-6_1583938187251.jpg

It's amazing to see the consistency across the vast majority of countries. You can predict numbers with a decent amount of accuracy because the trend lines of rate of increase are all virtually the same.

The only difference is the delay in days.

Where are we in terms of t minus italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Klonker wrote: »
    That's really interesting. So our poor health system issues down the years might be less to do with HSE and governments but more to do with our stupid and selfish behaviour.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm being serious.

I agree with you, and have a few posts about this around.

It’s obvious that the a/e is choked with many messers. Trolley watch is full of them.

Time to call it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

fritzelly wrote: »
    Absolutely, but now it's hitting home for them - it's not all about you not being in that goldilocks zone where you are not at risk.

That's just human nature though, every supposed deadly virus or natural disasters in the past had been hyped up and never plays out, you cant blame people for being slow to come around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Klonker wrote: »
    That's really interesting. So our poor health system issues down the years might be less to do with HSE and governments but more to do with our stupid and selfish behaviour.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm being serious.

Our health system structure is still over bloated, in patient numbers don't alter that reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

flynnlives wrote: »
    Where are we in terms of t minus italy?

A thousand cases in about 7 days - but not the best way to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is there so many pages to plough through, is this a popular thread?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭shmeee

Riddle me this - Why wouldn't every self employed person in the country suddenly get sick and claim the €610 illness benefit payment?

You ring your GP, tell them the symptoms over the phone, they tell you to self isolate, and send a cert to Social Welfare, and then you apply for the money? It seems a handy few euro?

Must be very easily open to abuse?

More false information.

The payment is €305 per week from the DEASP

IF

You are

A) for a maximum period of 2 weeks if you are medically certified self isolation

Or

B) the duration of your medically certified absence from work due to Covid 19 diagnoses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Yes remember it well, swine flu.

It certainly did not create as much drama as this one.

I think there might have been a vaccination or it did not spread as easily as this one, something made it less potent.

Swine flu was global but confined to outbreak areas, it didnt really spread like COV did and it wasnt near as contagious. Coronavirus is allot more unpredictable and has spread to so many people all over the place in such a short amount of time.
    Swine flu also had a vaccine.

Pretty sure you have to test positive for this to qualify for the e305

No, you just have to be instructed to self-isolate. I can ring my GP in the morning, and tell him im concerned i have it. And I do have a sore head, so i wouldnt be lying as such.

It's not really fraud, it's just being responsible.. and if you get €610 for it then I can see many looking at it and thinking it's not a bad way to get a few Euro.

Most self employed people (myself included) couldnt be bothered, really, but it does look very easy and would take, what; an hour to ring the GP and fill in a form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

All of Italy is not suffering to the same extent as a region of approx 16 million people which accounts for the vast, vast majority of cases and deaths in the country - most of them around Lombardy.

Your logic therefore is flawed.

It's not as simple as "Italy has 60 million people"

Rhetoric not a strong point either.

If anyone here knows anyone who can make things happen, as in get stuff organised in an emergency, I found this very useful info the last night.

DIY ventilator created by MIT students for under $100

ventilator1.jpg

bump

please re-quote and share

Hudur wrote: »
    Bus stops before corona:

The night clubs and schools over there must be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I wonder, could be the crisis that finally delivers a reformed Irish healthcare system?

Sometimes it takes a catalyst like a massive crisis.

It’s the only positive that could possibly come out of this mess.

Just trying to think of even one bit of light at the end of this very scary tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

spookwoman wrote: »
    People don't want to be there in case of infection and then others just saying don't want to take up a bed

I’m not sure whether you are being tongue in cheek or not, but a/e was never the place for that cohort was it? Think about it.

25785300-8098517-Mark_Handley_tweeted_this_graph_charting_the_growth_of_cases_in_-a-6_1583938187251.jpg

It's amazing to see the consistency across the vast majority of countries. You can predict numbers with a decent amount of accuracy because the trend lines of rate of increase are all virtually the same.

Next 10 days are huge, we will see of the affects of the government changes that have been brought in. These curves represent a virus that was left untreated as I think its 10 to 12 days behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

I agree with you, and have a few posts about this around.

It’s obvious that the a/e is choked with many messers. Trolley watch is full of them.

Time to call it out.

Three issue off the top of my head:

-Why pay 60euro to go to see the gp when you can go to a and e for free

- high rates of health anxiety or general anxiety in the populace

- trigger happy gp's who are more then happy to transfer responsibilty for any ailment to the a and e's

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,352 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

About 54,443 posts before yours.....
    Why is there so many pages to plough through, is this a popular thread?

We should be able to make a difference in Ireland with some of the measures introduced today

shmeee wrote: »
    More false information.

'False information' and then you reiterate my post? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

How did the human race ever make it this far with the level of panic some people are showing?

we never had the 'yellow snow warnings', things just happened and we got over them. Nowadays theres more panic in the lead up to the event than with the actual event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was only thinking about this today. I don’t remember being this worried about swine flu and I caught the fcuking thing. I didn’t even know it was a pandemic until a few days ago. Social media has made us all cuckoo

This is not flu though. And social media does ramp things up but so is the world in fairness. This is a SARS no vaccine (not as quick as Swine Flu in any case) And by all accounts more infectious and deadly. Pandemic is widely different to epidemic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Read one page.

It's enough to make you question Darwinism.

Perhaps that's where you find the missing links. :pac:
    I wouldn’t put too much faith in the “good” news of Italy’s original lockdown region reporting no new cases today. My guess is in a region that is surely suffering the largest proportion of 189 deaths just today that there isn’t much spare medical attention to coordinate and perform testing - hope I’m wrong, but that’s a s**t tonne of critical people to try to care for.

The original catchment area was relatively small, so perhaps the virus has run out of people to infect?

bump

please re-quote and share

Why, it doesn't tell you how to build it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Xertz wrote: »
    I wonder, could be the crisis that finally delivers a reformed Irish healthcare system?

Sometimes it takes a catalyst like a massive crisis.

It’s the only positive that could possibly come out of this mess.

No chance. The system is from the core crooked, doctors using tax payer provided resources for commercial gain from private practice, you wouldn't see it in North Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

niallo27 wrote: »
    Next 10 days are huge, we will see of the affects of the government changes that have been brought in. These curves represent a virus that was left untreated as I think its 10 to 12 days behind.

We likely won't be able to discern the effects if any for 6 weeks or so. The next two weeks, possibly four, numbers' case wise are mostly set at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement