Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Odd thing is China takes all this in its stride. I don't think any country is better able to deal with a crisis or emergency. Look at how they are trying to solve the locusts issue - 100,000 ducks. Who else could do something like that? No even the US.

This Covid 19 will knock 1-2% of Chinese growth. They'll be back in business in no time. And they'll be asking why the rest of the world didn't get on top of it so they can sell them stuff again.

I'd welcome Chinese experts to Ireland at this stage to deal with this.

Im not sure why this made me laugh so much.

Maybe it's cos I read it in Joe Pesci's voice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Talisman wrote: »
    The Department of Health sent a letter to schools last night that basically says the schools are not to close unless instructed to do so.

Last part is key.

Strikes me talking to teachers that they think they will be instructed to do so on Friday.

First death will speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Very sad about the lady passing away rip.

I know it wrong but the age profile and underlying condition seems to dilute the gravity of it a bit. Imagine if this disease affected the young the most. The panic would be x1000. Lets hope a cure/vaccine is developed quickly so the most vulnerable can be protected and we don't end up looking down the barrel of a mutation or Sars 3.0 that does target kids aggressively.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Big increase in Qatar. Up to 262 from 24.
    So much for the climate :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

Odd thing is China takes all this in its stride. I don't think any country is better able to deal with a crisis or emergency. Look at how they are trying to solve the locusts issue - 100,000 ducks. Who else could do something like that? No even the US.

This Covid 19 will knock 1-2% of Chinese growth. They'll be back in business in no time. And they'll be asking why the rest of the world didn't get on top of it so they can sell them stuff again.

I'd welcome Chinese experts to Ireland at this stage to deal with it.

I can imagine:

Step one, weld shut apt block doors
    Step two, inter anyone testing positive
    Test three, don't test anyone anymore so you can say its gone away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Inquitus wrote: »
    The death rate is 3.4% or so, 3.4% of 34 = 1 death give or take.

The death rate is very unlikely to be as high as 3.4%.
    1% is the generally consensus, South Korea who have tested several hundred thousand people and the cruise ship would both also hold up this figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

wakka12 wrote: »
    1% is the generally consensus, South Korea who have tested several hundred thousand people and the cruise ship would both also hold up this figure.

As of now it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have heard from a few people (department of education) the instruction to close schools is waiting for a meeting on TDs etc on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thehedge

Talisman wrote: »
    The Department of Health sent a letter to schools last night that basically says the schools are not to close unless instructed to do so.

That and yesterdays press statements about the same thing are what Sir Humphrey Appleby once described to Jim Hacker as a non-denial denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

gmisk wrote: »
    I have heard from a few people (department of education) the instruction to close schools is waiting for a meeting on TDs etc on Friday.

That is nuts if true.

What a shambles of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Last part is key.

Strikes me talking to teachers that they think they will be instructed to do so on Friday.

First death will speed things up.

I believe most public sector employees will be told to stay at home from Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Im not sure which lockdown you are referring to.

But goods etc will still move.

Its the people that spread it

That’s not a lockdown, goods moving requires a plethora of logistics and people.

Will achieve very little re the spread of the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are the hospitals starting to go Rogue and saying they have cases like the Mercy did in Cork....we're not even meant to know it's cork, just the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!

1 is not enough to draw statistical conclusions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wonder what instructions would come with such a closure?

Schools closed, stay at home and away from large gatherings? I can imagine shopping centres etc being packed with kids on an extended holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just pointing out to the poster that even if you take the worst case number, we would expect 1 death maximum for the number of cases we have, so nothing out of the ordinary there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thehedge wrote: »
    That and yesterdays press statements about the same thing are what Sir Humphrey Appleby once described to Jim Hacker as a non-denial denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I believe most public sector employees will be told to stay at home from Friday.

Can we shoot them if we spot them in the wild, don't want them out and about with the rest of us, being told to stay at home should be exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

blade1 wrote: »
    As of now it is.

Ted Andros of WHO today said the death rate is ten times more lethal than flu, which is 1%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I would just caution that with numbers of cases detected still relatively small, you can’t really extrapolate very much as the sample size is too small.

So in terms of mortality rates, it’s unlikely to be very accurate.

It’s trends in spread that you’re watching but that could also be upscaling of testing and awareness.

It’s all really hard to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

This rumor is very strong and gone all over. Many teachers are saying this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Big increase in Qatar. Up to 262 from 24.
    So much for the climate :(

Virus can mutate. Currently, S and L strain. L strain is more deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Isn’t the general consensus that 1 death represents 1000 people infected? So a thousand people in Ireland potentially have coronavirus while only 32 are known about!
    The figure given by the authorities on the subject is to expect 1 death per ~100 infections based upon the experience in China. If there is are a number of underlying health conditions in the population then the death rate would be higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apple employee in Cork who tested positive apparently decided the pub was better than self isolating, another positive case needed to have her hair done, anyone who goes out in public with it should be fined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

noddy69 wrote: »
    I can imagine:

Step one, weld shut apt block doors
    Step two, inter anyone testing positive
    Test three, don't test anyone anymore so you can say its gone away

Oh will you feck off with this BS. The Chinese numbers have proven to be accurate now that we have worldwide data.

There was a load of people in here claiming the death toll was far higher, that dead bodies were lining the streets, that people were getting welded into their apartments to die, that there was as smoke cloud over Wuhan from massive cremations, all proven to be bollocks.

There's a forum called conspiracy theories if you want to have a go at the Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

South Korea have a better medical service than virtually every other country in the world. Italy's death rate is nearly 6% by comparison, which is probably more realistic for us considering our low rate of testing and low number of ICU beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Merlin44

Its generally accepted the l strain of the virus headed here from.italy a mutation with hight cfr case fatality rate the m strain ended up in korea hence the diffrences in cfr

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Not sure about that, in the HSE some non-essential service people are being told to be on standby as we may be sent to work in Public Health for a while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That was how I understood the report also.... they were tested as they presented with respiratory symptoms.

I assume that’s why they are now pulling the finger out and testing everyone who presents with respiratory symptoms regardless of travel history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

The 1st death in ireland from coronavirus! Woman in the east of the country, tbc later by hse!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement