Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Pretzill wrote: »
    This is not flu though. And social media does ramp things up but so is the world in fairness. This is a SARS no vaccine (not as quick as Swine Flu in any case) And by all accounts more infectious and deadly. Pandemic is widely different to epidemic.

H1N1 was also a pandemic.

The H1N1 vaccine was exceptionally quick being approved exactly 153 days (5 months) after the first reported case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We are 40th on the Confirmed Coronavirus Cases league table.

UK - 16th

USA - 8th

127 countries (and territories) infected.

TRANSMISSION RATE worldwide (RO) 2 - 3 (estimated range)

(2 - 3 newly infected from 1 case)

https://virusncov.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

flynnlives wrote: »
    Three issue off the top of my head:

-Why pay 60euro to go to see the gp when you can go to a and e for free

- high rates of health anxiety or general anxiety in the populace

- trigger happy gp's who are more then happy to transfer responsibilty for any ailment to the a and e's

There's a €150 A+E fee if you turn up without a doctor's referral note and unfortunately due to how our healthcare system is structured A+E is used as an entry point to triage patients for admission to hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

GM228 wrote: »
    H1N1 was also a pandemic.

Not here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Turtwig wrote: »
    We likely won't be able to discern the effects if any for 6 weeks or so. The next two weeks, possibly four, numbers' case wise are mostly set at this stage.

Surely the huge difference in our population numbers wise will prevent us from hitting those numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Corona causes first case of snowfall.

Corona on ice, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

New Home wrote: »
    Perhaps that's where you find the missing links. :pac:

The original catchment area was relatively small, so perhaps the virus has run out of people to infect?

That would be a pretty bad situation. 100% infected within weeks... so news reports “Some good news : No New Infections Recorded Today”. Doubt that’s the case somehow, but no more speculative than my point in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Surely the huge difference in our population numbers wise will prevent us from hitting those numbers.

Yes but where does it stop for these countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Same all over other a+e in the country. I wonder why?

Hopefully a study will be done as to why so many people attend, but don’t feel the need to do so now in case they get Infected. honestly.

I’m not referring to genuine emergencies blue lighted in

My elderly father had a faint and fall yesterday. Nothing broken. Ambulance was called, they checked him over and wanted to take him to A&E to be checked further. Normally we would have followed their recommendation. But under these circumstances we took him home and had him seen by the GP later, with agreement of ambulance crew.

I imagine a lot of people are doing the same - taking bigger chances that someone will be ok, rather than go to A&E. The way A&E is these days, I don’t think anyone hops up and says oh great, let’s head down to A&E. most likely, many people who should be seen there are not going. Probably with some bad consequences. Others are choosing to pay more to go to private clinics - vhi clinics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭jos28

With all the panic at the supermarket today I bought a bottle of gin and forgot to get them to remove the bottle lock thingy :eek:
    I've seen a few people on Youtube remove them with knives/drills/magnets but I haven't had any luck so far. I threw the receipt in the bin.

First world problem I know but help please !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Oh my god really, not after this interview. He 's from my constituency, I used see him around from time to time before he got so high-profile and there was just an air of untrustworthiness about him.

I tried to do that earlier but I'm on mobile, when I switched to desktop view I still couldn't find it... I'll try on the computer there in a minute. Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully would give the elderly a bit of consolation to see, but they probably shouldn't be out and about and I doubt they get it online :(

Coveney is one of the best, most honest politicians we've seen. Take it handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

New Home wrote: »
    Perhaps that's where you find the missing links. :pac:

The original catchment area was relatively small, so perhaps the virus has run out of people to infect?

Heard they are using triage by age so if too old and too much effort then better to use that energy on a young person. Numbers in the next few days will be telling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

All schools and Universities closed and thats after only 1 death and 46 confirmed cases of the virus.
    I dont think we have too much to worry about. Our government acted on this surprising well, they even went so far as to introduce a basic wage for anyone who cant work.
    Be grateful youre in Ireland right now and not the UK or Italy.

This is nonsense and highly irresponsible. It typifies the "it'll be grand" attitude. The Italians had a similar social attitude. They went from Red Zones to total lockdown because of it.

We haven't moved quickly enough. We were drip fed information from the start including locations of positive infections. We are not taking it seriously enough.

We have allowed schools come and go (unchecked) despite what was happening in Italy. Up until yesterday we were only testing people who had been in Italy or came in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid19. People are being sent way as the tests are meaningless until between day 10 and 14 of "voluntary" self isolation. Many have went away thinking I'm fine and have spear it to communities, meaning contact tracing was also meaningless.

We didn't close our airports to and from highly affected regions. We cancelled a rugby game, but the fans came anyway. We have more Irish people returning from one of the largest attended horse racing events held yearly in the UK.

We won't be fine, if people don't treat this seriously. People who think that its all a big imposition and are unwilling to avoid contact with others. There is a thread in a teachers forum where parents clearly don't get it and are more concerned about who is going to look after their kids.

We do not have the health infrastructure to cope with the massive numbers that will increase exponentially in the next two weeks. There will not be enough ventilators to treat people and we will face the same hard decisions.

The HSE have been pulling people out of nursing homes and trying to get retired staff to help out. Buildings have been requisitioned as treatment centres.

The delaying phase that was introduced for this very reason. As we can see those measures of social distancing were only out of Harris's mouth and people were crammed into supermarkets.

Don't tell me to be grateful, because I haven't bought into the drip feed of information to stem panic and satisfy economic lobby groups.

We are facing into a shít storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So in the USA one has to pay to be tested?

Over 1000dollars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

jos28 wrote: »
    With all the panic at the supermarket today I bought a bottle of gin and forgot to get them to remove the bottle lock thingy :eek:
    I've seen a few people on Youtube remove them with knives/drills/magnets but I haven't had any luck so far. I threw the receipt in the bin.

Very sharp samurai sword
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6Gmo5dXZU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Pretzill wrote: »
    Not here

It was declared a worldwide pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just smack the neck off against a wall and down it, shards of glass and all, like the filthy feral alcoholic you are. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bed and a hot water bottle.

Ye be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

There's a €150 A+E fee if you turn up without a doctor's referral note and unfortunately due to how our healthcare system is structured A+E is used as an entry point to triage patients for admission to hospital.

Do you think local scrotes Anto and Deco ever pay that charge? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Malaysia seem to be doing great, what ever it is they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

flynnlives wrote: »
    Three issue off the top of my head:

-Why pay 60euro to go to see the gp when you can go to a and e for free

- high rates of health anxiety or general anxiety in the populace

- trigger happy gp's who are more then happy to transfer responsibilty for any ailment to the a and e's

If you are a medical card holder it’s free, so is the GP.

If not, you either pay the GP who refers you to a/e then a/e itself is free,
    or pay €150 to self present.

If there was a charge say €20 for non blue lighted attendances at a/e by med card holders it might help..

Or just leave a permanent sign up saying a/e is contagious with Corona stay away unless absolutely necessary!

I find it very interesting how much voluntary attendances have fallen in a/e now.

I hope some good journo checks this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Coveney is one of the best, most honest politicians we've seen. Take it handy.

I'll let STB explain this one to you because they put it so eloquently in spite of the fact that it's horrific.
    STB. wrote: »
    This is nonsense and highly irresponsible. It typifies the "it'll be grand" attitude. The Italians had a similar social attitude. They went from Red Zones to total lockdown because of it.

We haven't moved quickly enough. We were drip fed information from the start including locations of positive infections. We are not taking it seriously enough.

We have allowed schools come and go (unchecked) despite what was happening in Italy. Up until yesterday we were only testing people who had been in Italy or came in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid19. People are being sent way as the test are meaningless until between day 10 and 14 of "voluntary" self isolation. Many have went away thinking I'm fine and have spear it to communities, meaning contact tracing was also meaningless.

We didn't close our airports to and from highly affected regions. We cancelled a rugby game, but the fans came anyway. We have more Irish people returning from one of the largest attended horse racing events held yearly in the UK.

We won't be fine, if people don't treat this seriously. People who think that its all a big imposition and are unwilling to avoid contact with others. There is a thread in a teachers forum where parents clearly don't get it and are more concerned about who is going to look after their kids.

We do not have the health infrastructure to cope with the massive numbers that will increase exponentially in the next two weeks. There will not be enough ventilators to treat people and we will face the same hard decisions.

The HSE have been pulling people out of nursing homes and trying to get retired staff to help out. Buildings have been requisitioned as treatment centres.

The delaying phase that was introduced for this very reason. As we can see those measures of social distancing were only out of Harris's mouth and people were crammed into supermarkets.

Don't tell me to be grateful, because I haven't bought into the drip feed of in formation to stem panic and satisfy economic lobby groups.

We are facing into a shít storm.

So in the USA one has to pay to be tested?

Over 1000dollars
    Not anymore?
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1238155454108151808?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Being a civil servant is great crac.

All our senior staff (AP and up) have basically been ordered to work from home and void travel

Everyone lower has to still be in the Department doing their full hours and just keep going as normal even though this has clearly disrupted everything

Half expect walk outs next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

UrbanFret wrote: »

This is a common misconception. Comparing population sizes isn't really useful. Once the virus takes hold in community it follows an exponential growth rate. In other words, if all else is equal containment wise, the virus in London, Galway, Paris, Milan or Dublin will grow at the same rate.

Day one: Patient zero
    Day 14 20 cases
    Day 28 200
    Day 42 2,000
    Day 56 20,000

That all these cities have different populations makes little difference if their containment is identical. The numbers infected will be similar. If a city has less infected it's most likely because they're a few days behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

spookwoman wrote: »
    What were the numbers as in weeks behind italy with the other european. Looks like France,germany and spain may be about 2 weeks behind.
    Italys numbers.. you can see where the hospital f*cked up at the start and the number exploded after 2 weeks. Hope that does not happen here

Italy had way more cases than the confirmed cases from the start, they just weren't tested. Like about 2 weeks about Italy had about 3,000 confirmed cases yet all of Europe was bringing home the visus with them. Were they all bumping into the same 3,000 people? Very very very unlikely. I think all other countries in Europe have the same issue now making it very hard to stop the spread. Thsts the downside. The upside is this would make the critical and fatal percentages a lot lower than being reported. Kind of backed up by Italy's stats that at one stage the average age for positive case was above 60, we'll above its average age (don't have current stats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,782 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm about 30 pages behind. Had the video of tesco in naas been shared? It's the most insane thing I've ever seen! I shouldn't be laughing but it's so mad it's funny.

Yes, the best it was somebody was buying Corona!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Listened to the Stand podcast today, featuring Paddy Agnew from Rome. He mentioned they believe in Italy that COVID 19 was circulating freely in Lombardy for all of Jan and early Feb.

Doctors simply did not detect it, awareness was low, and early infections were treated as normal cold/flu, which are very common in that area during Jan/Feb.

I guess we need to understand to what extent the virus was circulating here in the 30/40 days prior to first confirmed case.

Hopefully it was low; certainly here we had heightened awareness prior to case 1, which had been was predicted / inevitable a several days before it was announced; in Italy the first case was much more of a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

7495.jpeg

tumblr_n7juf5DZ5j1rt0zdlo2_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

GM228 wrote: »
    It was declared a worldwide pandemic.

It was. But it didn't impact here. And it is a flu and not SARS...which I stand corrected is really an unpredictable disease with poor outcomes. ETA: for some. (above and beyond the yearly flu strain)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Saw your post, stopped reading the thread and watched it. Very surreal, lots of similarities throughout. Eerie

The last few minutes is the most chilling bit, day one :eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement