Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Turtwig wrote: »
    This is a common misconception. Comparing population sizes isn't really useful. Once the virus takes hold in community it follows an exponential growth rate. In other words, if all else is equal containment wise, the virus in London, Galway, Paris, Milan or Dublin will grow at the same rate.

Day one: Patient zero
    Day 14 20 cases
    Day 28 200
    Day 42 2,000
    Day 56 20,000

That all these cities have different populations makes little difference if their containment is identical. The numbers infected will be similar. If a city has less infected it's most likely because they're a few days behind.

I'm only trying to get my head around this mate. I can understand in the city but out in the country couldn't see anything like those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Boris and the Tory brexit **** must be delighted.

The virus has given them great cover to hide the massive blow to the economy that brexit would have caused.

No wonder he seems relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

jos28 wrote: »
    With all the panic at the supermarket today I bought a bottle of gin and forgot to get them to remove the bottle lock thingy :eek:
    I've seen a few people on Youtube remove them with knives/drills/magnets but I haven't had any luck so far. I threw the receipt in the bin.

First world problem I know but help please !!!!
    Glass%20Cutter%20Sil%20549%20x%20496.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

7495.jpeg

img

Can't believe we are letting the UK beat us on that. A lot of work to be done to match the NHS, the rest of Europe can wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    So far, they have advised voters to bring their own pen to the polls.

As the have not watched how elections in Iran contributed to the sprea.

Yeah. An election consists of asking every member of every local community to go to the exact same location as a constant flow of people across the day. If you deliberately wanted to spread the virus you wouldn't do it very differently!

I think they are in a bit of a denial ... a bit like our own government about the parade for a while.

It is obvious the event can't take place, but they don't want to make a decision as it seems like it is too important an even to cancel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,782 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think Theresa May is probably delighted that she isn't PM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If anyone here knows anyone who can make things happen, as in get stuff organised in an emergency, I found this very useful info the last night.

DIY ventilator created by MIT students for under $100

ventilator1.jpg

Where can you buy these?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Coveney is one of the best, most honest politicians we've seen. Take it handy.

The retrospectoscope will be used liberally during this crisis and politicians will be unable to avoid mistakes. I’m sure they are doing their best. I’d say we’ll see a few lawsuits out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I'm only trying to get my head around this mate. I can understand in the city but out in the country couldn't see anything like those numbers.

I think your not taking into account the characteristics of the virus, I.e the incubation period and the asymptomatic transmission. That’s understandable it was discussed at length in the first few threads but now the threads move so fast and with more reactive comments. Essentially, the issue is contagion, and this virus is incredibly balanced to promote spread.

• Advertisement

ES76zB_XQAU63gv?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It's amazing to see the consistency across the vast majority of countries. You can predict numbers with a decent amount of accuracy because the trend lines of rate of increase are all virtually the same.

The only difference is the delay in days.

Of course the experts reading the same WHO country handguide for dealing with a pandemic, don't get the part where public buy in and treat it seriously.

The public think those responsible are being upfront rather than staging the dissemination of bad news in line with economic considerations.

Meanwhile today in Ireland, indoor gatherings of more than 100 banned. Who was that to pacify ?

Look at Poland. 38 Million people. 47 cases. 1 Death. 2 weeks ahead of everyone in terms of pro-action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,393 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shirley Hairdressers should close, and nail parlours, and Gyms too.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

flynnlives wrote: »
    All on campus accommodation around the country will be empty next week.

The gov should step in and rapidly convert them to treatment centres.

They are going to be empty for 6 months. There aint gonna be any tourists in ireland this summer.

Eh what about all the foreign students?

Being a civil servant is great crac.

All our senior staff (AP and up) have basically been ordered to work from home and void travel

Everyone lower has to still be in the Department doing their full hours and just keep going as normal even though this has clearly disrupted everything

Half expect walk outs next week.

Is that for back-office staff?

Did the provide a rationale for taking an approach based on grades??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I do think Theresa May is probably delighted that she isn't PM!

I daresay Leo is wishing FF and SF had sorted something out a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That would be a pretty bad situation. 100% infected within weeks... so news reports “Some good news : No New Infections Recorded Today”. Doubt that’s the case somehow, but no more speculative than my point in fairness.

It was pure speculation on my part, too. :) (and a hefty dose of cynicism)

I daresay Leo is wishing FF and SF had sorted something out a few weeks back.

Simon Harris also.
    I'd love to see SF Louise O'Reilly dealing with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

UrbanFret wrote: »

In rural sparsely populated areas the virus should spread slower. However, these areas still have community centres, a point at which several people interact. There will always be people who travel between one or several of these centres. The disease will still spread readily if there are no containment measures. The past two outbreaks of Ebola occurred in small rural villages. Cases still spread like wildfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

7495.jpeg

tumblr_n7juf5DZ5j1rt0zdlo2_250.gif

Ah jaysus! we’re in pot 4. Hope we don’t get the “group of death”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Just received and expected to mid may at the least, from my job

office around the world who have a job that can be done remotely to work from home for the next 30 days (through Sunday, April 12). The goal is to promote social distancing and reduce the occupancy of our offices for a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

STB. wrote: »
    Of course the experts reading the same WHO country handguide for dealing with a pandemic, don't get the part where public buy in and treat it seriously.

The public think those responsible are being upfront rather than staging the dissemination of bad news in line with economic considerations.

Meanwhile today in Ireland, indoor gatherings of more than 100 banned. Who was that to pacify ?

Look at Poland. 38 Million people. 47 cases. 1 Death. 2 weeks ahead of everyone in terms of pro-action.

Or maybe they are just 2 weeks behind everyone else.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Eh what about all the foreign students?

To be fair that's not really a problem, you could consolidate foreign students in the same housing blocks and free-up completelty empty ones. Back in my days in student housing that is what they did in the summer to free up some blocks as rentals for tourists or kids summer camps.

But now is it necessary or practical to do what the OP said? I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Bob24 wrote: »

Don't feed...etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

You do have to wonder that when Italy asked the EU for help, not a single call was returned but when Italy asked China who were is a God awful state themselves, sent aid to the Italians ...

https://twitter.com/Flanas07/status/1237649661005086720

Coronavirus: Restrictions could remain in force for months, doctors warn

Unprecedented restrictions on public life aimed at curbing the spread of coronavirus could remain in force for months, public health doctors have indicated after the number of cases jumped by 63 per cent in a single day.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-restrictions-could-remain-in-force-for-months-doctors-warn-1.4201600?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fcoronavirus-restrictions-could-remain-in-force-for-months-doctors-warn-1.4201600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,385 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Shirley Hairdressers should close, and nail parlours, and Gyms too.

They will and don't call them Shirley.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Bob24 wrote: »

I can only speak on the setup in my Department.

Currently the plan is for normal hours to continue but unnecessary travel stopped and most meetings cancelled and for staff to work from home when possible.

Everyone higher grade had a laptop that allows them to work from home. So thats what they are going to do.

Everyone lower doesnt so they have to work in the office.

Obviously its not a thought out plan. I expect drama tomorrow and next week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 haydoyo

7495.jpeg

Welfare is far too generous in this country. More should be going into the health system and look after the people who work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement