Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

STB. wrote: »
    Of course the experts reading the same WHO country handguide for dealing with a pandemic, don't get the part where public buy in and treat it seriously.

The public think those responsible are being upfront rather than staging the dissemination of bad news in line with economic considerations.

Meanwhile today in Ireland, indoor gatherings of more than 100 banned. Who was that to pacify ?

Look at Poland. 38 Million people. 47 cases. 1 Death. 2 weeks ahead of everyone in terms of pro-action.
    Public awareness has certainly been raised with the schools closing today and RTÉ have been broadcasting non-stop pandemic coverage all day. But I actually don't think many people I know have the actual ability to process the real ramifications of what this will mean in a couple of weeks yet.

I think people with some experience of trauma have an idea of the coping mechanisms required to deal with what will probably be bereavement on a mass scale with no funerals. But nobody living today has actually gone through an event of this magnitude so it will probably mean a whole generation of those who are left dealing with serious emotional issues and PTSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You do have to wonder that when Italy asked the EU for help, not a single call was returned but when Italy asked China who were is a God awful state themselves, sent aid to the Italians ...

https://twitter.com/Flanas07/status/1237649661005086720

Ah maybe they just feel guilty

ESxykTSXgAE3o6y?format=jpg&name=small

Squirrel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

You do have to wonder that when Italy asked the EU for help, not a single call was returned but when Italy asked China who were is a God awful state themselves, sent aid to the Italians ...

Yeah, some will say that China did this as a communication exercise, but regardless of the motivation they did what no-one else did, and this is not just PR as they actually sent good quantities of very useful stuff (each ventilator they sent will have a direct and immediate consequence of sparing multiple lives, that is significant).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The President of Brazil has tested positive for coronavirus.

I think it’s the aide who met Trump who tested positive rather than the man himself? Could be wrong. In Canada, we are waiting for Justin Trudeau’s test results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

If Italy’s population is 60 million and ours is just under 5, do we multiply our infected cases by 12 to get a comparison to them?

We are on 70, multiply that by 12 and it’s 940 in comparison to Italy. Italy had 889 on feb 28th which would make us exactly 2 weeks behind them. Not perfect logic but still ..... Italy’s deaths were 21 by that stage , we are on 1, which makes it 12 so maybe their older population and our earlier action will mean less deaths here hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Not only did China send 31tonnes of medical supplies , they sent medical staff to help also . It is a amazing gesture from China . Given what they have been through the last few months I imagine the last thing those doctors and nurses thought they would be doing would be going to now save people in other countries .

https://twitter.com/Flanas07/status/1237649661005086720

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Drumpot wrote: »
    If Italy’s population is 60 million and ours is just under 5, do we multiply our infected cases by 12 to get a comparison to them?

We are on 70, multiply that by 12 and it’s 940 in comparison to Italy. Italy had 889 on feb 28th which would make us exactly 2 weeks behind them. Not perfect logic but still .....

I wouldn't go by that logic. Each nation will be different. But i'd be more worried about our health service capabilities

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yeah, some will say that China did this as a communication exercise, but regardless of the motivation they did what no-one else did, and this is not just PR as they actually sent good quantities of very useful stuff (each ventilator they sent will have a direct and immediate consequence of sparing multiple lives, that is significant).

Agreed, the EU Effectively sent them a get well card , China might save Italy from being decimated even more. Whatever happens I’d say Chinese - Italian relationships should be solid after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Nikkei freefalling again,-8.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have to say I’m a bit disappointed at the lack of solidarity within the EU and I include the Commissiion in that.

Maybe the UK were right after all, ie they are only after our money.

Look I know it’s not as simple as that, but still, makes me wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I think it’s the aide who met Trump who tested positive rather than the man himself? Could be wrong. In Canada, we are waiting for Justin Trudeau’s test results.

Suspect Trudeau is using it as a handy excuse to stay back

Global recession all but gaurenteed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Wonder if she actually read the law?

I mentioned it already a good few posts back:-
    GM228 wrote: »
    Yes and no.

The director of the CDC has the authority to pay for the care and treatment of patients, but, it is subject to the availability of appropriations, in other words there is no guarantee that Federal Funds will be made available to cover it becaue the CDC has no legal entitlement to the funding. It still requires a Presidential Order to release the funds.

She quoted the wrong law to start with, and secondly it is subject to availability to appropriations. Trump still needs to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

wuhan-coronavirus-meme-9.jpeg

When they decide we really really really need face masks, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

7495.jpeg

Did Austria decline to disclose or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

https://worldcams.tv/ireland/dublin/temple-bar
    100 people max ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

haydoyo wrote: »
    Welfare is far too generous in this country. More should be going into the health system and look after the people who work.

Jesus wept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

When they decide we really really really need face masks, after all.
    Women with medium-sized boobs will inherit the earth. Tried this and it was not a fit. I was devastated.
    Bob24 wrote: »
    They also thought at that point that the virus was traceable to illegal Chinese migrants living in the North and working in the textile industry, but it turned out that it was somebody from Germany who brought it in.

The same Germany who intercepted 250,000 masks on the way to Switzerland after all the countries said they would not be allowing the export of medical supplies.

I wouldn't be optimistic we get too much assistance from that crowd in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Or maybe they are just 2 weeks behind everyone else.

1st reported case Ireland 29 February (pop 5m).

1st reported case Poland 3 March (pop 38m). They have been tracking people since 19 February

8f54caa650bf0347a21dda95d8b65ca92c5f5ad3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Should just call it the CD. Centres for Disease.

Control of disease is in Trumps hands. Wonder what he’ll do now

• Advertisement

garycoyle1 wrote: »

It's 1.30 on a thursday morning. Relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

60 cases in Scotland now so about nearly the same as Ireland although ten extra here and the ones in the North too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

hawkwing wrote: »
    Nikkei freefalling again,-8.5%

Wooo ... there is nowhere to hide it is every asset class in every location. Even gold is starting to struggle (which is "normal" as traders are selling it to cover the losses, but a sign that this is a massive crash).

Except maybe hand gel which is doing well as an asset class. But I don't think there are any ETF for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

100 people indoor max rule made me wonder.

Have you been on a crammed bus in Dublin during the afternoon?

Surely they are cramming in 100 people into a double decker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Chelsea footballer tested positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Thewife wrote: »
    Not only did China send 31tonnes of medical supplies , they sent medical staff to help also . It is a amazing gesture from China . Given what they have been through the last few months I imagine the last thing those doctors and nurses thought they would be doing would be going to now save people in other countries .

Nice gesture, they get a bad rep on here from some posters but they really are amazing when it comes to manufacturing, building and work ethic, you ever see that port they built out in the sea? The fcukers were even sleeping inside the road they were building out to the new port not to lose time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It's 1.30 on a thursday morning. Relax

I thought it was live :)

Nice gesture, they get a bad rep on here from some posters but they really are amazing when it comes to manufacturing, building and work ethic, you ever see that port they built out in the sea? The fcukers were even sleeping inside the road they were building out to the new port not to lose time

So True....... In command and conquer you could always churn out practically unlimited amount of red guard and tanks.

Shirley Hairdressers should close, and nail parlours, and Gyms too.

Got an email from my gym at 15.30 today, they are closed until the 30.3.20

I haven't gone in to it for the last two months as my back had given out (had surgery on it last year) in the middle of January and given the fact that the virus was starting to get closer I decided to give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How have the UK not taken the same measures as us? Having Cheltenham and things like Liverpool v Atletico go ahead is mind-boggling considering every other country in the vicinity is in lockdown

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement