Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

When they decide we really really really need face masks, after all.

Chinese invention :-)

10970981_mmexport1580440629464_jpegeae7d5761f31dbea58f580c8f69da344

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Should just call it the CD. Centres for Disease.

Control of disease is in Trumps hands. Wonder what he’ll do now

He will find a cure for the virus obviously !

Quotes from his visit to the CDC recently:-
    Then the president returned to another old talking point—that because one of his relatives was a scientist, he, too, is good at science.

A reporter started asking a question, and Trump cut her off: “I like this stuff. You know my uncle was a great person. He was at MIT. He taught at MIT for, I think, like, a record number of years. He was a great supergenius, Dr. John Trump.”

"I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it,” the president went on. He started talking about his tour of the CDC he’d taken before his talk to the press. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability."

"Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Got an email from my gym at 15.30 today, they are closed until the 30.3.19

I haven't gone in to it for the last two months as my back had given out (had surgery on it last year) in the middle of January and given the fact that the virus was starting to get closer I decided to give it a miss.

Might even be rust on the doors by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Bob24 wrote: »
    Chinese invention :-)

10970981_mmexport1580440629464_jpegeae7d5761f31dbea58f580c8f69da344

The fella with the sanitary towel taped to his face still wins it for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A bit of insight on the U.K. decisions not to close schools, stop Cheltenham etc. They are only taking a 7 day quarantine instead of 14 in mild cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-governments-coronavirus-advice-and-why-it-gave-it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

STB. wrote: »
    Of course the experts reading the same WHO country handguide for dealing with a pandemic, don't get the part where public buy in and treat it seriously.

The public think those responsible are being upfront rather than staging the dissemination of bad news in line with economic considerations.

Meanwhile today in Ireland, indoor gatherings of more than 100 banned. Who was that to pacify ?

Look at Poland. 38 Million people. 47 cases. 1 Death. 2 weeks ahead of everyone in terms of pro-action.[/

This is kind of off topic, but trust me when I say Poland is an underrated gem as a travel destination. When this is all said and done boardies get yourself over there. Krakow and Gdańsk are two of the obvious ones but that country is widespread in greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Andrew00 wrote:
    Chelsea footballer tested positive

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

They work like absolute trojans ! I’m
    Still amazed at the rate in which they built those temporary hospitals , some of the pictures and videos of the construction was fascinating , hundreds if not thousands of them on the building site , totally amazing !
    I hope we don’t get as bad as Italy or even anywhere remotely similar , but I hope if needed that China would come and help us and we deffo wouldn’t say no to extra ventilators here ðŸ™ðŸ»
    Nice gesture, they get a bad rep on here from some posters but they really are amazing when it comes to manufacturing, building and work ethic, you ever see that port they built out in the sea? The fcukers were even sleeping inside the road they were building out to the new port not to lose time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ironicname wrote: »
    Who?

Hudson Odoi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I’m just after finishing a shift in a Dublin pub there. Comfortably the busiest (non 6 nations day) of the year so far. Place was packed with loads of people who had been told to work from home from tomorrow onwards. So to celebrate they came in massive groups to an enclosed space. Makes sense

From the panic-buying thread. I just don't know what to say.

https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1238187883917455362?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The premiere league is completely borked now.

Might even be rust on the doors by now

As helpful as ever, edited but not before you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

NDWC wrote: »
    How have the UK not taken the same measures as us? Having Cheltenham and things like Liverpool v Atletico go ahead is mind-boggling considering every other country in the vicinity is in lockdown

Because the decisions to close schools, stop mass gatherings etc is the recommendation of the ECDC:-

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/social-distancing-measures-in-response-to-the-COVID-19-epidemic.pdf

Examples of some of the sensible recommended actions:-

Stay-at-home recommendations |• Blanket recommendation for the public to stay at home and avoid mass gatherings and close contact with persons, particularly targeting the known high-risk groups |• Recommendations for voluntary social distancing of persons, particularly the high-risk groups, in order to reduce transmission, avoid increased morbidity, and thereby decrease the pressure to the health system

Closure of educational institutions | • Schools (including day care centres, kindergartens, primary and secondary schools) • Closure of higher educational institutions (including universities, research institutes, etc.) |• Preventing contact among children is a known prevention measure in influenza outbreaks and pandemics • Universities and other educational institutions are also areas where large numbers of people congregate in confined spaces • In studies of influenza outbreaks, both measures usually have the biggest effect when applied early in the transmission phase and when they last until the circulation of the pathogen decreases (i.e. after several weeks) • Need to also prevent meeting/gathering of youths outside school in order to ensure effectiveness

Mass gathering cancellations | • Cultural events (theatres, cinemas, concerts, etc.) • Sporting events (football, indoor and outdoor athletic games, marathon runs etc.) • Festivals, faith-based events • Conferences, meetings, trade fairs, etc. |• The aim is to avoid transmission among large numbers of people in confined spaces • For some events – even though they may be conducted outdoors (e.g. football matches) –, attendees may be in close contact on public transportation, at the entrance and exit, etc.

And we know the UK does not like instruction from the EUs institutions, even if they are sensible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭redarmy

BREAKING: Players have just received a text saying the Players Championship has been cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There must be quite a few Italian healthcare worker fatalities as well as those in the population, god rest their souls, it must be really tough on the front line and its going to be tough on our Irish ones too. I have a niece in Scotland who is a doctor and she'll be working in the front line there, power to them. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

WHO wrote:
    If you are to fly, the World Health Organization guidance suggests the highest-risk area is the two rows in front, behind or next to an infected person.
    No sh*t..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So this vaccine taking a year or so to get tested after its released, why cant we test on people with serious conditions. I'm sure they will sign waivers for any side affects. Better chance with an imperfect vaccine than a deadly virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just touch willies.

Cock fighting is outlawed in lots of countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What do people make of this, trending very high on reddit so looks fairly legit.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    To be fair, he's probably bollixed.

I never ever thought I'd type those words but fairs fair.

Yes agree.
    Think that's why Simon Coveney couldn't answer Miriam as regards the flight thing.
    Think they are doing a better job in this crisis than anything else they have done the last few years, to be fair. No glory in it , giving all this bad news .
    Even MaryLou is keeping quiet..ish .

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yeah, some will say that China did this as a communication exercise, but regardless of the motivation they did what no-one else did, and this is not just PR as they actually sent good quantities of very useful stuff (each ventilator they sent will have a direct and immediate consequence of sparing multiple lives, that is significant).

Im sorry but this is the very least they could do.
    They caused this mess.

They should be sending one of those shipments to every country affected.

niallo27 wrote: »
    So this vaccine taking a year or so to get tested after its released, why cant we test on people with serious conditions. I'm sure they will sign waivers for any side affects. Better chance with an imperfect vaccine than a deadly virus.

Because a vaccine is a preventative not a cure.

You'd be essentially giving people with the disease more of the disease!

Edit: Sorry I'm tired. I misread... You mean people with serious conditions not related to covid-19. I suppose their pre existing conditions would make it too difficult to determine side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

60 cases in Scotland now so about nearly the same as Ireland although ten extra here and the ones in the North too.

Bigger population on the island of Ireland than Scotland.

6.6 million in Ireland (both jurisdictions)
    5.4 million in Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There must be quite a few Italian healthcare worker fatalities as well as those in the population, god rest their souls, it must be really tough on the front line and its going to be tough on our Irish ones too. I have a niece in Scotland who is a doctor and she'll be working in the front line there, power to them. :)

Its definitely going to get ugly but it shouldn't be quite as bad as Italy as our gov have been a bit more pro active. If she's your niece she's probably young. She will likely catch the virus and have to take a few days off but then she should have immunity and be able to continue working. Good luck to her. Wash your hands all the time and avoid crowded spaces. I'm working from home since last week and I have enough food for at least 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Amazingly, Turkey has only one case and sits at the bottom of the Worldometers table of affected countries.

Well done, Mr. Erdogan.

That Is The Joke....

Any data relied on by self-reporting states are massively detrimentel to the attempts to get a handle on this situation.

Mr. Trump, meet Mr. Erdogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Walking around Dublin tonight and lots of bars have signs saying no more than 100 people allowed in power government recommendations
    Good to see them being proactive but god its such a random number as to be nonsensical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

niallo27 wrote: »
    What do people make of this, trending very high on reddit so looks fairly legit.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

Companies will be making these claims for months on end. Vast majority are publicity seeking nonsense.

Regardless none will be available to the public until they have been tested vigorously.

You wouldn't take something that's hardly been tested on a chimp never mind a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭flanna01

Based on the numbers being seen in Italy, Spain, France....

Do you really understand what's coming over the horizon??

I think not.

Ireland didn't have the capacity to deal with the sick before the virus happened, beds parked up along the corridors in every hospital
    etc...

The Covid 19 is hitting home now - We have zero defences to it.

Germany kept their death rate down due to their outstanding health care position, yet as the days roll by, they will find themselves under increasing pressure to maintain them numbers (treating more and more patients)

Spain are going the same route as Italy (Check the daily numbers, they are going thru the roof) They are truly f*cked!

The UK are about to reap their just rewards for not following the rest of Europe...

Cheltenham was an absolute disgrace - But shur money talks.. The returning lads will add to the funeral directors bank balances's..

Ireland is in for a rude awakening.. What we see now is truly unprecedented to most of the population..

In tandem with every other country, the numbers are going to go through the roof... The only difference is, the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK are in a much better position to deal with the sick medically wise than us....

Guys, we are heading into some seriously dark times.. We must unite, isolate, and be resilient to the challenges ahead,we've done it before,we'll do it again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    That Is The Joke....

Any data relied on by self-reporting states are massively detrimentel to the attempts to get a handle on this situation.

Mr. Trump, meet Mr. Erdogan.

I think erdogan has it sussed. No testing = no cases = no problem!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement