Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

niallo27 wrote: »
    What do people make of this, trending very high on reddit so looks fairly legit.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

It's all legit, but they were only awarded the $1M two year funding 6 days ago and are currently identifying the animal model for testing, a vaccine is a long way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I think I’m getting a cold which I’m seriously hoping isn’t it! I haven’t been in contact with anyone who’s has it, so let’s hope I’m being over cautious. I’m self isolating though!

Tickle in my throat which has turned into what feels like a very slowly developing cough kinda across my chest. Could be nothing significant but I’m taking no chances.

I’m going to be totally paranoid about every cold now :(

This is worse than apocalyptic sci-fi. I seriously think I’m just going to stop going out, even if this is just a cold and I’m back to normal in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Walking around Dublin tonight and lots of bars have signs saying no more than 100 people allowed in power government recommendations
    Good to see them being proactive but god its such a random number as to be nonsensical

Think it's just part of priming people. Stepping the changes over days and weeks, so ye don't have the psychological turmoil of irish people hearing one day 'No More Pubs Lads'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So this vaccine taking a year or so to get tested after its released, why cant we test on people with serious conditions. I'm sure they will sign waivers for any side affects. Better chance with an imperfect vaccine than a deadly virus.

Vaccines prevent disease not cure it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

What do people make of this, trending very high on reddit so looks fairly legit.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

flanna01 wrote: »
    Cheltenham was an absolute disgrace - But shur money talks.. The returning lads will add to the funeral directors bank balances's..

Coveney looked angry and worried over that on RTE tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

strawdog wrote: »
    Kirsty Wark on Newsnight really makes Miriam look like an amateur. Tough but allows the person to speak and the conversation to flow
    I will never forget watching Wark chair a debate about Brexit and her ignorant comments about the Irish government trying to get one over on UK over the border and saying it was a load of bs about the Peace Treaty and treaties were made to be broken.
    She was expressing her own opinion and shouting interviewees down. Very unprofessional and arrogant.
    Well if Mairéad McGuinness wasn't on a live connection from Brussels and took her apart so well ...it was brilliant ! She savaged her , in a very very polite way . Explained the Peace process and the importance of North South relations continuing as is , and how that treaty was ratified , all like she was talking to a silly little child . And Wark tried to brush it off but McGuinness called her out on it again Great stuff .
    I don't agree that Wark is a good interviewer after that...bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Did anyone else notice that the latest announced cases didn't give location (east, west etc) details or did I miss that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vaccines prevent disease not cure it

I meant underlying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

GM228 wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that the latest announced cases didn't give location (east, west etc) details or did I miss that?

They said 9 clusters and I think someone said they wouldnt be doing that for during the week and maybe an overall report at the end .
    say to say reports here

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#march-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Whenever I wake up during the night I check the latest posts then boom an hour gone.

Must.put.phone.away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What did you mean about underlying conditions though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Dept of Health are only going to discuss clusters and patterns weekly from now on.

I imagine thats to avoid disproportionate negative social and economic effects in those areas. Its best if the whole Country imagines it is at the same high risk and protects itself equally and to a high standard. We cannot afford one whit of complacency.

Same comment applies, Vaccines don't cure people

What did you mean about underlying conditions though?

High risk patients, patients with underlying conditions who know if they get this they are ****ed or they know they are ****ed anyway if you pardon my language.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

Spot on it only helps prevent it!

Yes but we can check do they acquire immunity to the CV. Why do you keep mentioning curing people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes but we can check do they acquire immunity to the CV. Why do you keep mentioning curing people.

In general virus immunity is short lived, it's why you keep catching the common cold and flu

• Advertisement

In general virus immunity is short lived, it's why you keep catching the common cold and flu

Should last us the year if this is seasonal. I'm not getting the point you are trying to make. Are you saying a vaccine is not going be a huge breakthrough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It depends how often they mutate. Plenty of vaccines give very long periods of immunity, where a virus is relatively stable or the immune system is able to identify a whole class and minor mutations don’t matter.

The Common Cold has been very well researched for decades and they never came up with a workable vaccine for it and the flu vaccine is very hit and miss due to frequent mutations. Predicting the strains has become a bit of an art form.

Seems publicly digestible information about this virus is relatively thin on the ground. We don’t know all that much about its history as it’s novel, to humans anyway. That makes it very hard to even speculate on seasonally or anything else about it.

Also bear in mind that there are also all the normal nasty colds and flus doing the rounds. So people coughing is still more likely to be one of those, but I wouldn’t take any chances whatsoever. This thing could be utterly rampent in a very short time.

So this vaccine taking a year or so to get tested after its released, why cant we test on people with serious conditions. I'm sure they will sign waivers for any side affects. Better chance with an imperfect vaccine than a deadly virus.

I'd rather live in a cave till this all blows over than take a vaccine that might kill me. There are horror stories in human testing, and people with serious conditions would be at more risk.

People who have serious underlying conditions should be forced to stay at home from work, be provided with a stipend, have groceries and food delivered, and get regularly checked, in my opinion. Make it illegal to fire them during the crisis.
    If the Vietnamese government can provide this sort of thing for quarantined people, so can the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Politicians very vulnerable to this :P

Xertz wrote: »
    It depends how often they mutate. Plenty of vaccines give very long periods of immunity, where a virus is relatively stable or the immune system is able to identify a whole class and minor mutations don’t matter.

The Common Cold has been very well researched for decades and they never came up with a workable vaccine for it and the flu vaccine is very hit and miss due to frequent mutations. Predicting the strains has become a bit of an art form.

Coronavirus is an rna virus which mutates very easily like variations of the common cold, flu a dna virus also mutates fairly easily. It's a balancing act with viruses
    There is some promising research for a cure for the common cold, though to be honest what is the point. Keep the old immune system in check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They are already doing this. Well sort of. People are volunteering to be infected with the virus for research purposes e.g anti viral research, contact transmission research. Problem is at this stage even a trial vaccine for such willing volunteers is months away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This has probably been posted numerous times but I always come back to this guy, a great summary of the Covid 19 news, I like that he criticises Cheltenham and football games and criticises the US's policy of no more to 250 gathering in a place.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Should last us the year if this is seasonal. I'm not getting the point you are trying to make. Are you saying a vaccine is not going be a huge breakthrough.

Seasonal doesn't mean it changes every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I think it’s the aide who met Trump who tested positive rather than the man himself? Could be wrong. In Canada, we are waiting for Justin Trudeau’s test results.

Trudeau’s wife Sophie just tested positive for COVID-19.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6670203/sophie-gregoire-trudeau-coronavirus-positive/

Bolsonaro’s result is supposed to come out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Politicians very vulnerable to this :P

Guess who's the great unwashed now :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement