Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wooah....Turkey now on 2 cases.

That country should be sanctioned for it's lies.

And Russia too but they are already sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

otnomart wrote: »
    Recap of measures taken across Europe
    https://www.politico.eu/article/how-europe-is-responding-to-the-coronavirus-pandemic/
    France and Germany are those with the weakest measures
    Belgium so far the only country (except Italy) which took the step of closing bars and restaurants
    https://www.politico.eu/article/belgium-closes-schools-bars-and-restaurants/

Strange that Germany have the weakest measures yet have a very low perceived mortality rate compared to other countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Strange that Germany have the weakest measures yet have a very low perceived mortality rate compared to other countries

6 deaths in last 48 hours. Can't defy gravity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

The way they're handling this is bananas. I work front of house in a busy hotel. Have come into contact with any amount of people flying in from all over the world the last few weeks. Started coming down with something.. Rang the doc for advice. I could barely breathe down the phone, coughing, fever.. All the classic symptoms of coronavirus. I explained to the receptionist my line of work and that although I don't know for certain I've been in contact with someone.. There's a high chance I couldve been... But before I even told her that.. Before I even told her what I worked as, before even asking if I'd been in contact with anyone or been abroad.. She was telling me to come in for an app. Couldn't get to see the doc cause they were booked out.. Had to go in to the nurse TWICE... And the first time she hadn't even examined me.. Within my first few secs of being there.. She told me it wasn't coronavirus. I mean how would anyone know that without properly hearing my symptoms or examining me? Especially seeing as they're the symptoms we've been told to look out for down to a tee. Hopefully I'm among the lucky ones and don't have it but I'm self isolating of my own accord as I'm still dying sick with a killer chest and have barely been able to keep my head off my pillow all week. Absolutely gobsmacked at how the situation was handled given the current warnings in place. If they're bringing every case in the same the virus is gonna spread like wildfire. My family, work.. Nobody can believe it! There's no way in hell the government have the right numbers in relation to this thing.

On the plus side, if the number of cases is wrong (which i believe it is globally) then the death rate as a percentage is much lower.. Get well soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you mean these Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) respirators/ventilators ?
    Italian region of Lombardy bought more of them at the start of this.
    https://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca...iva-250055125/

191730262-fe82804d-6a3b-407b-b461-9113e736af03.jpg

Don't think it's that device, this was discussed a couple of weeks ago, I think they said it's 4 we have in the country, 2 in the marter, 1 in the children's hospital and I'm not sure where the 4th is.

It's not good if you end up on one, it has a high mortality rate, it really is a last chance device.

• Advertisement

On the plus side, if the number of cases is wrong (which i believe it is globally) then the death rate as a percentage is much lower.. Get well soon!!

The number of cases is far higher than what is known. this is only natural. Its scary in one way. Fear of the unknown. but it does mean the mortality rate is alot lower than quoted.

There is nothing I have not been able to get since January. There is contingency planning for a staff member testing positive. How do you know its disrupted?

Bully for you, there's plenty I can't get, I'm just a retailer what would I know.
    What is the contingency plan, let them drop off one by one, get real. The supply chain is at risk.

Bully for you, there's plenty I can't get, I'm just a retailer what would I know.
    What is the contingency plan, let them drop off one by one, get real. The supply chain is at risk.

If you were a retailer you would know what contingency has been put in place. ;)

If you were a retailer you would know what contingency has been put in place. ;)

I do and I think it's bull**** as it's unworkable when this hits a certain point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tests positive.

It’s insane the PL hasn’t shut down.

Par for the course for the mercantilist Brits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Ellie2008 wrote:
    Thanks all for replies. It’s possible the tightness is anxiety I dismissed it on Tuesday as being in my head, with all that has happened since I’m not sure. The toddler went to crèche yesterday’s, he wasn’t in great form & hasn’t been for days but we were under pressure to logon work & I didn’t want to feel I was making excuses not to work daft as that sounds. Crèche called after an hour to say he had a temp of 39 I felt so guilty about other people I got him straight away even though the crèche were very relaxed about it & didn’t ask me to.

Ellie I'm also pregnant and have a tight chest and breathless at times . I've been pregnant before and felt like this but much later in pregnancy, I'm not even the 20 weeks yet. Had app with my doc this week and she checked all, did oxygen level test and all is perfect. Said it is just to do with the pregnancy. Hope it's the same with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Did Brexit actually provide any help for retailers 're supply chain security... particularly the larger multiples and wholesalers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

At the moment in Ireland it is a legal requirement for chemists to have a pharmacist on the premises at all times. What happens when the pharmacist has to self isolate? Locums are very thin on the ground as it is. Maybe pharmaceutical technicians could be allowed to dispense under the remote supervision of a pharmacist? Unfortunately no such guidance has been issued either by the pharmacy professional body or union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

seems a lot of people still say about very low fatality percentage rates...but theres the group of numbers of people who may not die but get very seriously ill with this....i think thats an important number to focus on too....not just cases and deaths.

also...i keep seeing people saying if you catch it you are naturally immune to it then....how is this known and such a given ?...people can get flu every on average every five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

We now know that the first known death in Europe was in Valencia on 13 February and then diagnosed post-mortem.
    Their genomes is now up on Nexstrain and shows that they represent "separate introductions"
    So the virus was introduced to Valencia earlier.
    And then, on 19 February, Valencia fans travelled to Bergamo for match with Atalanta

ES8_7CyUcAEtwiq?format=png&name=small

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1238279354380980224

Let's see what's in the Garda plan later today and what the armys plan is next week. Supply chain not at risk my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

This women is of fire and brimstone, you tell them.
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1238155454108151808

She actually quoted the wrong Federal Regulation when she said 42 CFR § 71.30 , but she is on the right track, it's 42 CFR § 70.13

However, whilst she correctly points out the director of the CDC has the authority to pay for the care and treatment of patients, it is subject to the availability of appropriations, in other words there is no guarantee that Federal Funds will be made available to cover it becaue the CDC has no legal entitlement to the funding.

It still requires a Presidential Order to release the funds, because as a result of the "subject to" clause in law it restricts the government’s liability to the amounts appropriated by Congress for the particular purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,590 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's kinda a moot point.

If the actual infected cases are twice as high, then it's half as likely to kill you, but the transmission rate is twice as high as we thing. Net effect is the same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s weird I knew this was pretty much on the cards since Wuhan. Started getting ready, tried talking to my folks (high risk) back then, mam listened and started picking up a few little bits in her shopping. dad thought i was bonkers. But very emotionally leaving work yesterday, hoping I can work from home but may have to go in some days. I’ve asthma so really don’t want too.

Parents called in last night and are taking kids today (as creche shut), told them we might have to stop seeing them for a while. Was very hard, dad said you said this way back and you were right. I wish I had of been wrong and they would do their usual slagging. Trying not to get upset in front of the smallies, but I am afraid, for all of us and just get upset by it all.

Please if you have family or friends coming back from cheltenham ask them to isololate, if you are sick stay home, follow social distancing, don’t stand ten deep in the supermarkets. Give our health service a chance, give us all a chance.
    Stay safe boardsies, we can get through this but only together.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    seems a lot of people still say about very low fatality percentage rates...but theres the group of numbers of people who may not die but get very seriously ill with this....i think thats an important number to focus on too....not just cases and deaths.

also...i keep seeing people saying if you catch it you are naturally immune to it then....how is this known and such a given ?...people can get flu every on average every five years.

Agree, I find that 20% figure quiet scary and hope I'm reality its lower than 20%. In context, in a family of 5 ... statistically 1 is at risk of contracting a serious condition which may or may not required hospital assistance :(

We need to all practice social distancing yet I believe there is still an air of complacency about the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What happens if a staff member of a shop / supermarket get the virus?
    Is it closed down?
    Do the staff isolate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

China's deaths finally back into single digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What happens if a staff member of a shop / supermarket get the virus?
    Is it closed down?
    Do the staff isolate?

Unfortunately i would say yes to your questions. Might be a good way to stop the panic shopping buffoons.

We now know that the first known death in Europe was in Valencia on 13 February and then diagnosed post-mortem.
    Their genomes is now up on Nexstrain and shows that they represent "separate introductions"
    So the virus was introduced to Valencia earlier.
    And then, on 19 February, Valencia fans travelled to Bergamo for match with Atalanta

ES8_7CyUcAEtwiq?format=png&name=small

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1238279354380980224

Sorry does that mean the virus is not connected to the original Bavarian cluster? Fascinating how they can track this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I do and I think it's bull**** as it's unworkable when this hits a certain point.

Can you explain the contingency plans that are in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Wondering school closing will be extended minimun after easter...

Chances must be very high. 29th allows time to see how things unfold and my the 26/27th I'd say an extension beyond Easter would make sense. Perhaps the worst may be over then. Optimistic perhaps. The Leaving and Junior cert will be in jeopardy after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Catching up a few pages after the night.

Out here. all is quiet and blessedly as usual. Solitude which is now termed " social isolation" is no stranger here and holds no fears or problems. The theme is not to ask more of anyone than you do in the usual times. You never know what family and work stresses folk are enduring.

And as someone else has said, it is far far easier now we have the internet to be at ease alone than in earlier days. I certainly know that. This machine is my radio, TV, communications, shopping.
    There have been a few problems this last while when all went blank and that meant reverting to books etc; need to see about a small radio though.
    Problems sorted now; excellent server.

I " shop" locally ie by email and delivery, every two weeks and was so glad that yesterday was the in between week. By next Thursday things will be easier as we all get more used to this situation.
    Please though, check on old folk who might not have good communications? There was a case recently of a food delivery van not getting an answer at an old lady's home. He called the emergency services. She had been dead days, surrounded by her pet cats. I have a fail safe set up here. giving me privacy but safety . Others may not have. ALONE have a phone number if you seek to help.

Last time I was in the actual company of anyone was Advent last year when kind neighbour drove me to the church to set up the season there. That is fine. Used to this.

So hunkered down out here. All is as normal . There is nothing scary re isolation once you get used to it. Just we are all in new territory. yesterday was a great shock. Time is a great mender.

All of us are doing all we can in this perilous situation. That is all we can do. Be there for each other in whatever ways we are needed. Even by our silence and absence.

And please don't be too hard on aggressive shopping. People are scared. We all react in different ways. It will ease down and suppliers have had time to adjust and make arrangements. Rationing IS essential now.

Blessings and peace this day; coming and going here … pm is fine

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Unfortunately i would say yes to your questions. Might be a good way to stop the panic shopping buffoons.

If you said yes to the second question you may want to rethink your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

digitaldr wrote: »
    At the moment in Ireland it is a legal requirement for chemists to have a pharmacist on the premises at all times. What happens when the pharmacist has to self isolate? Locums are very thin on the ground as it is. Maybe pharmaceutical technicians could be allowed to dispense under the remote supervision of a pharmacist? Unfortunately no such guidance has been issued either by the pharmacy professional body or union.

The answer must surely be yes, given that doctors may soon be deciding who gets a ventilator and who dies. Sounds like Paddy will be putting in mucho compo claims unless the country wises up and says no mas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Meant to be having a gathering in my gaff. A gang from the west going to the east. I think it is best to pull the plug on it.
    Given the times we live in...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement