Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pc7 wrote: »
    Stay safe boardsies, we can get through this but only together.

Nah

Planet of the Apes

Every person for themselves

Meant to be having a gathering in my gaff. A gang from the west going to the east. I think it is best to pull the plug on it.
    Given the times we live in...

Just tell them you have coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just tell them you have coronavirus

I have enough cans in to see out the next 50 years!

Part of me feels I am being daft the other part of me thinks dragging people from the rural lands of the west, up to the east and back down again for a few beers is highly irresponsible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Part of me feels I am being daft the other part of me thinks dragging people from the rural lands of the west, up to the east and back down again for a few beers is highly irresponsible.

Put them off....get us around instead! :pac: That would be the socially responsible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've a game of football later this eve with mates.
    Wondering if we should cancel?
    Feel like we all need it for our health and mental health.
    Obviously if any symptoms no one will come and no hand shakes etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

it's a good decision, there will be time for beer after this is done. And tbh il think you will find some will be glad of your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I've a game of football later this eve with mates.
    Wondering if we should cancel?
    Feel like we all need it for our health and mental health.
    Obviously if any symptoms no one will come and no hand shakes etc...

Afaik the FAI cancelled all mini training and matches. All rugby provinces ceased domestic activity, in other words no training, no matches.
    If it's just you and your friends on some field or in the park, I don't know, maybe?
    If it's a bigger affair, I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn’t know Katie Porter until I watched this video but I’m in love. She strong-arms the guy with the authority to agree to start testing Americans for the Coronavirus for free. No bullshit.

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1238228599087513602?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭sudzs

This thread is much easier to handle at this time of the day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I am going to the shop. From a rural area. As I move round getting ready a part of me imagines getting tooled up. (Can't help my vivid imagination :) ). I want to strap on a crossbow like Michonne from the Walking Dead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Only 8 new cases reported in China, 3 of them from overseas.
    But lets not highlight that in the media because it kinda quells the hysteria that's being whipped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭sudzs

Gynoid wrote: »
    I am going to the shop. From a rural area. As I move round getting ready a part of me imagines getting tooled up. (Can't help my vivid imagination :) ). I want to strap on a crossbow like Michonne from the Walking Dead :D

Do you plan on having a pair of moronic Tesco hoarders on chains??! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

LirW wrote: »
    Afaik the FAI cancelled all mini training and matches. All rugby provinces ceased domestic activity, in other words no training, no matches.
    If it's just you and your friends on some field or in the park, I don't know, maybe?
    If it's a bigger affair, I wouldn't.

Just 10 or 12 lads kicking ball outside.
    We probably should cancel, bit seems odd then if there's still people in pubs.
    Given we are all relatively young, I think we need it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Nah

Planet of the Apes

Every person for themselves

I’ll forgive you KDF, still smile when I think of your Tom Hanks post, by the way, any snow due ;)

kevcos wrote: »
    But lets not highlight that in the media because it kinda quells the hysteria that's being whipped up.

Also there was no new cases reported in one of the towns at the epicentre yesterday ... another positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

sudzs wrote: »
    Do you plan on having a pair of moronic Tesco hoarders on chains??! :pac:

Don't tempt me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My boss called yesterday and told us if we close down due to the coronavirus it would put us out of business and we would have no jobs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Lashes28 wrote: »
    My boss called yesterday and told us if we close down due to the coronavirus it would put us out of business and we would have no jobs.

That’s really tough, sorry to read that.

Lashes28 wrote: »

What sector do you work in? And if firm closes, is it likely that it will reopen when life goes back to normal? Tough and stressful times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

China's reaction has been the most extreme of anywhere so your point is sort of circular, to highlight that result is to highlight quarantine working , necessary etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭positivenote

ADVVICE REQUEST:
    Hi all, my elderly mam is a high risk and she lives at home about 20mins away. She lives in a good estate were she knows a fair few people. I have told her that we are keeping our two kids away untill the 29th March to be safe and shes fine with that.
    My worry is her being on her own in her house for the next two weeks. She says she has plenty of food etc and her telly / knitting and that she 'always finds something to do' but she is usually never at home, maybe a day or two at most and is constantly out and about.
    Are there any sugestions for her to keep ocuppied and secondly am I alright to go over to her and visit? Im not showing any symptoms, I could go over 2-3 times a week and cook her diner watch a movie or even just for a cuppa and my brother could do the same.
    Anyone with advice it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Don't cancel, that would be minimal risk, but people still need exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I am starting to come around to the idea that confirmed cases and the resultant mortality rates do not match the number of infections out there. Now that we are seeing so many politicians, footballers and celebrities with it which bears no resemblance to the quantity of confirmed cases worldwide. Still very serious but I think mortality will most likely be around the 1% mark...not the 2-4% McConkey has said I his Irish times article today. Hopefully the curve can be managed to ensure treatment is available...based on the above I don't see 1 in 5 requiring hospital treatment.

All the above would tie in with the evidence from the cruise ship where 7 out of 700 infected passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

The risk is that you will spead the virus further by your actions - potentially to vunerable people....

It a community effort we are in now - everyone takes one for the 'team' to keep the show on the road.

It's pretty simple really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

laurah591 wrote: »
    What sector do you work in? And if firm closes, is it likely that it will reopen when life goes back to normal? Tough and stressful times

Retail.
    I think she's panicking at the costs involved if we close for the virus or if staff get it (we have only 4 staff) and still have rent to pay. Hopefully the government will have some kinds of protection put in place for small businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

I am starting to come around to the idea that confirmed cases and the resultant mortality rates do not match the number of infections out there. Now that we are seeing so many politicians, footballers and celebrities with it which bears no resemblance to the quantity of confirmed cases worldwide. Still very serious but I think mortality will most likely be around the 1% mark...not the 2-4% McConkey has said I his Irish times article today. Hopefully the curve can be managed to ensure treatment is available...based on the above I don't see 1 in 5 requiring hospital treatment.

All the above would tie in with the evidence from the cruise ship where 7 out of 700 infected passed away.

Well in relation to celebrity's and sports people they are much more likely to get tested on demand so I would suspect a higher rate. They have also been with groups of people and travelling in the case of sports people

Even if true - China could still be in serious trouble when they try open the quarantined areas.

But there is not a single government around the world believes China to be perfectly honest.

They need their factories open. It's not a choice for China.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I didn’t know Katie Porter until I watched this video but I’m in love. She strong-arms the guy with the authority to agree to start testing Americans for the Coronavirus for free. No bullshit.

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1238228599087513602?s=21

This is typical of the difference between our fellow human beings and money.

Looking at this is a good example of what leadership is and the type of people who sent the peasants over the trenches in ww1 and onto the beaches in ww2 while sipping tea in their safe zone or ivory towers.

Money talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Very different attitude from some I met up north. Can’t see the need to close schools or cancel events. Laughed at the thought of coughing into the elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyone with advice it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Life has to go on!

Visit her.

Just take precautions when you do visit. Wash your hands immediately when you arrive and have no close contact/try and stay at least 1.0 metre apart....sit on a different chair/sofa. Follow advice for sneezing/coughing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement