Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

ADVVICE REQUEST:
    Hi all, my elderly mam is a high risk and she lives at home about 20mins away. She lives in a good estate were she knows a fair few people. I have told her that we are keeping our two kids away untill the 29th March to be safe and shes fine with that.
    My worry is her being on her own in her house for the next two weeks. She says she has plenty of food etc and her telly / knitting and that she 'always finds something to do' but she is usually never at home, maybe a day or two at most and is constantly out and about.
    Are there any sugestions for her to keep ocuppied and secondly am I alright to go over to her and visit? Im not showing any symptoms, I could go over 2-3 times a week and cook her diner watch a movie or even just for a cuppa and my brother could do the same.
    Anyone with advice it would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Stay at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I didn’t know Katie Porter until I watched this video but I’m in love. She strong-arms the guy with the authority to agree to start testing Americans for the Coronavirus for free. No bullshit.

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1238228599087513602?s=21

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

ADVVICE REQUEST:
    Hi all, my elderly mam is a high risk and she lives at home about 20mins away. She lives in a good estate were she knows a fair few people. I have told her that we are keeping our two kids away untill the 29th March to be safe and shes fine with that.
    My worry is her being on her own in her house for the next two weeks. She says she has plenty of food etc and her telly / knitting and that she 'always finds something to do' but she is usually never at home, maybe a day or two at most and is constantly out and about.
    Are there any sugestions for her to keep ocuppied and secondly am I alright to go over to her and visit? Im not showing any symptoms, I could go over 2-3 times a week and cook her diner watch a movie or even just for a cuppa and my brother could do the same.
    Thanks

Set up a few chairs in the garden, maintaining distance, if the weather isn’t too cold. Take your own tea and biscuits with you, no contact physically.

I’m in same boat with my parents, they’re an hour away from me, but are very active in the community, which worries me. They’re often too stubborn to listen to advice, but I hope they behave themselves this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

My uncle has it, got it visiting a friend in icu who they hadn't realised had it at the time. He was at a birthday party that night as well so it could well have spread further. Feels very real now,. anyone who met him is self isolating and they went out to the house to test his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I am starting to come around to the idea that confirmed cases and the resultant mortality rates do not match the number of infections out there. Now that we are seeing so many politicians, footballers and celebrities with it which bears no resemblance to the quantity of confirmed cases worldwide. Still very serious but I think mortality will most likely be around the 1% mark...not the 2-4% McConkey has said I his Irish times article today. Hopefully the curve can be managed to ensure treatment is available...based on the above I don't see 1 in 5 requiring hospital treatment.

All the above would tie in with the evidence from the cruise ship where 7 out of 700 infected passed away.

Everyone’s a bloody expert on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

ADVVICE REQUEST:
    Thanks

Get Netflix for her. Could binge watch some shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

1% death rate is pretty high, in my opinion. People are kind of talking as if that is acceptable. Sure it means 99 out of 100 are okay, well except for the 8 or 9 of those 100 maybe left with interstitial lung damage. But if half of everyone catches it, it means a lot of damaged people and a fair amount of dead people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well if they had been paying attention to what was happening over the past 6 weeks, they had plenty time to stock up then and could have avoided the necessity to all in bundle into a supermarket today to do what they should have done weeks ago, I.e. stock up and be prepared. Today’s group are all likely the previous “just a flu bro” crowd, the ones paying attention (plenty on here) don’t need to go shopping today because they already bought what they need to be able to stay indoors and away from crowds of last minute preppers (that’s a paradox I know) when the inevitable “penny dropped”.

The average joe soap wasn't panic buying as they were at work yesterday and will be this morning; unless they now have children to mind.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

kevcos wrote: »
    Only 8 new cases reported in China, 3 of them from overseas.
    But lets not highlight that in the media because it kinda quells the hysteria that's being whipped up.

well...it doesnt relate....they have a cloud of disinfectant, literally, over infected areas. ..they are spraying streets and walls 24/7, armys of them...people have been imprisoned in isolation rooms and badly manhandled.
    thats not this part of the worlds way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

ADVVICE REQUEST:
    Thanks

I’ve agreed with my mum to go for a walk every day. Safe enough outdoors and good for the head. We live in the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

IvoryTower wrote: »
    My uncle has it, got it visiting a friend in icu who they hadn't realised had it at the time. He was at a birthday party that night as well so it could well have spread further. Feels very real now,. anyone who met him is self isolating and they went out to the house to test his wife.

when did he get confirmation he had it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Northbound DART from Greystones at 7:25am is usually hard to get a seat after Bray. This morning, everyone has a 4 seat booth to themselves. Amazing the difference a day makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

Trudeau’s wife tested positive after a trip to London.

I was in Birmingham the week before for work (over two weeks ago now) and was never so glad to get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

But lets not highlight that in the media because it kinda quells the hysteria that's being whipped up.

Well, tbh I am glad its not being highlighted for now. There are many who will be unaware of what China had to do to get to that point and will carry on here business as usual believing itll be grand in a few weeks even if nobody takes action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Retail.
    I think she's panicking at the costs involved if we close for the virus or if staff get it (we have only 4 staff) and still have rent to pay. Hopefully the government will have some kinds of protection put in place for small businesses.

Unless it is food or essential goods, even without closing the shop I assume the number of customers will plummet in the next couple of weeks and cash flow will be very limited.

Yes without government help a lot of shall businesses will be unable to survive, but I think something will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

****Todays Public Service Announcement ****

Social distancing is a very effective method in stopping the spread of COVID19.

STAY THE FCUK AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND KEEP YOUR HYGIENE STANDARDS HIGH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am starting to come around to the idea that confirmed cases and the resultant mortality rates do not match the number of infections out there. Now that we are seeing so many politicians, footballers and celebrities with it which bears no resemblance to the quantity of confirmed cases worldwide. Still very serious but I think mortality will most likely be around the 1% mark...not the 2-4% McConkey has said I his Irish times article today. Hopefully the curve can be managed to ensure treatment is available...based on the above I don't see 1 in 5 requiring hospital treatment.

All the above would tie in with the evidence from the cruise ship where 7 out of 700 infected passed away.

Mortality rate can not be predicted as it is fluid - it depends on situation. It is low when health system is still functioning but when it gets overwhelmed like in Italy right now then that rate climb dramatically.
    People were bashed with "influenza is worse" statements from left and right until it changed to "less than 1%" and then to any low number like 1-3%.
    As infection will spread it will put some strain on health services and real number might be higher. There is no point to speculate what it will be as spread and complications cant be avoided.
    Some people think that this illness may turn to something we experience periodically like flu as a lot of people are infectious carries without showing any symptoms.
    People should focus on finding treatment that works the best and learn to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

China has zero credibility at this stage.

China had a massive famine in the early 1960’s that barely made a headline in the west at the time.

And a massive earthquake in the 70’s that they tried to hide as well.

Their Soviet brothers in the Kremlin were going to say nothing about Chernobyl either until the Swedes picked up the radiation cloud over them.

You can’t trust a word that comes out of communist regimes. They are not normal countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

digitaldr wrote: »
    At the moment in Ireland it is a legal requirement for chemists to have a pharmacist on the premises at all times. What happens when the pharmacist has to self isolate? Locums are very thin on the ground as it is. Maybe pharmaceutical technicians could be allowed to dispense under the remote supervision of a pharmacist? Unfortunately no such guidance has been issued either by the pharmacy professional body or union.

More people would die of medication errors than of Covid. It will never happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Heard on the grape-vine all online deliveries will be cancelled from tomorrow.

This sort of talk is dangerous as it can continue the panic sending more people to the shops. More people at the shops doesn't help with limiting the spread. Please don't post this sort of stuff unless you have evidence. It is irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

20silkcut wrote: »
    China has zero credibility at this stage.

China had a massive famine in the early 1960’s that barely made a headline in the west at the time.

And a massive earthquake in the 70’s that they tried to hide as well.

Their Soviet brothers in the Kremlin were going to say nothing about Chernobyl either until the Swedes picked up the radiation cloud over them.

You can’t trust a word that comes out of communist regimes.

Which Country does have credibility reporting correct numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

****Todays Public Service Announcement ****

Social distancing is a very effective method in stopping the spread of COVID19.

STAY THE FCUK AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND KEEP YOUR HYGIENE STANDARDS HIGH!

You can not stop the spread no matter how hard you try. It is a measure to slow it down so we will have chance to treat infected people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok the work from home thing has kicked in I think...
    Bus id say about 20% full..normally pretty rammed even this early

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

KEEP YOUR HYGIENE STANDARDS HIGH![/CENTER]

Good advice on any given day. Wash ye smelly feckers!!!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

wylo wrote: »
    Well, tbh I am glad its not being highlighted for now. There are many who will be unaware of what China had to do to get to that point and will carry on here business as usual believing itll be grand in a few weeks even if nobody takes action.

That’s it exactly. Most people are clueless about it believing coming Mar 29th all will be grand and dandy because the government gave that date.
    Anyone with half a brain knows that’s going to be extended.
    Also people are putting China out there as sure it’s grand now . It’s declining in China.
    Like a previous posted said China basically interned anyone with the virus in the Wuhan area and no one was allowed leave.
    A similar example would be if Ireland was cut off with no travel in or out and that would contain the virus here. Within a country that people are still going out, popping to the pubs etc.
    And people pushing the one percent death rate? Again clueless. Countries that have lower rates all took drastic action at the first sign, not a few weeks into it when it’s too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok the work from home thing has kicked in I think...
    Bus id say about 20% full..normally pretty rammed even this early

Motorway down the country is empty. I'm still late for work mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Have missed hundreds of pages now.

Day 1 at home with the Kids. Both still asleep.
    Husband gone to work but drove instead of his normal public transport. He will work from home from now on.
    We are well stocked here.

I read that we have 9 Clusters now. Where are they ? Clare, South Galway, Cork ?

Was the 2nd Death in Cork ?

How is the situation in Italy?

Are there any positives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Blazer wrote: »
    That’s it exactly. Most people are clueless about it believing coming Mar 29th all will be grand and dandy because the government gave that date.
    Anyone with half a brain knows that’s going to be extended.
    Also people are putting China out there as sure it’s grand now . It’s declining in China.
    Like a previous posted said China basically interned anyone with the virus in the Wuhan area and no one was allowed leave.
    A similar example would be if Ireland was cut off with no travel in or out and that would contain the virus here. Within a country that people are still going out, popping to the pubs etc.
    And people pushing the one percent death rate? Again clueless. Countries that have lower rates all took drastic action at the first sign, not a few weeks into it when it’s too late.

What countries have taking drastic actions outside China that have been effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

NI not taking same measures as ROI. I wonder if they'll do anything Re border? As an island, its pretty moronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement