Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

20silkcut wrote: »
    China has zero credibility at this stage.

China had a massive famine in the early 1960’s that barely made a headline in the west at the time.

And a massive earthquake in the 70’s that they tried to hide as well.

Their Soviet brothers in the Kremlin were going to say nothing about Chernobyl either until the Swedes picked up the radiation cloud over them.

You can’t trust a word that comes out of communist regimes. They are not normal countries.

Russians have a strong immune system, there are no cases over there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

China had a massive famine in the early 1960’s that barely made a headline in the west at the time.

Their Soviet brothers in the Kremlin were going to say nothing about Chernobyl either until the Swedes picked up the radiation cloud over them.

You can’t trust a word that comes out of communist regimes. They are not normal countries.

They also lied through their teeth about SARS figures and were caught out doing so. Why would Covid-19 be any different, the figures coming from China are fictional at best, the real figures I’d imagine are terrifying.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/china-s-sars-crisis-rooted-in-climate-of-state-dishonesty-1.356828?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

IvoryTower wrote: »
    My uncle has it, got it visiting a friend in icu who they hadn't realised had it at the time. He was at a birthday party that night as well so it could well have spread further. Feels very real now,. anyone who met him is self isolating and they went out to the house to test his wife.

He can’t have spread it that same day - there’s an incubation period, virus needs time to replicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Absolutelly correct. You forgot to mention quite recent attempt to coverup sars outbreak 2002-2004.
    No numbers coming from North Korea are they miraculously immune?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Which Country does have credibility reporting correct numbers?

I don’t know countries with a free press or where people have unrestricted online access.

Neither of which apply to China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Have missed hundreds of pages now.

Day 1 at home with the Kids. Both still asleep.
    Husband gone to work but drove instead of his normal public transport. He will work from home from now on.
    We are well stocked here.

I read that we have 9 Clusters now. Where are they ? Clare, South Galway, Cork ?

Was the 2nd Death in Cork ?

How is the situation in Italy?

Are there any positives?

Commute was great into work today! On the clusters, they should let the public know. It might focus minds and make some people not taking self isolation/hygiene seriously.

On a related note, gob****e this morning outside work doing a big hock and spit on a fence. I tried to give him a dirty look but my expression was more of bewilderment as I glared at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

venusdoom wrote: »
    Ellie I'm also pregnant and have a tight chest and breathless at times . I've been pregnant before and felt like this but much later in pregnancy, I'm not even the 20 weeks yet. Had app with my doc this week and she checked all, did oxygen level test and all is perfect. Said it is just to do with the pregnancy. Hope it's the same with you.

My wife was very breathless too from quite an early phase in pregnancy, before she started to show significantly. I remember because she thought people couldn’t tell she was pregnant and would think she was just unfit. Hope all is ok anyway Ellie but please take a cautious approach and call your doctor/maternity if you are concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gynoid wrote: »
    1% death rate is pretty high, in my opinion. People are kind of talking as if that is acceptable. Sure it means 99 out of 100 are okay, well except for the 8 or 9 of those 100 maybe left with interstitial lung damage. But if half of everyone catches it, it means a lot of damaged people and a fair amount of dead people.

It's 1% of people tested positive that die, there will be many more who have it but who never really get it bad and are not tested and are not counted in the numbers
    So the death rate will be well below 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭twinytwo

milhous wrote: »
    NI not taking same measures as ROI. I wonder if they'll do anything Re border? As an island, its pretty moronic.

Sure Foster was moaning about Leo not consulting her first. Last time I checked we don't answer to the DUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭positivenote

are very active in the community, which worries me. They’re often too stubborn to listen to advice, but I hope they behave themselves this time

This exactly... I think if my dad was still alive, she would have killed hime after the first two days of self isolation :)
    But seriously, I might go and visit but do as is sugested and keep my distance sit out in the garden with her, if its not pissing down and that would affect her breathing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another death in Spain. Brings to 87 the death total.

Going to be a bad day across the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is here a strong chance the measures will be extended past March29?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I do and I think it's bull**** as it's unworkable when this hits a certain point.

Can you tell the supply chain what gaping hole you've spotted? They might be able to do something about it now or are you just going round shouting fire to cause panic?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Sure Foster was moaning about Leo not consulting her first. Last time I checked we don't answer to the DUP.

Ah here. Watch out for that log on your shoulder. It's nothing to do with answering to anyone. Would make sense to cooperate as the virus won't care about a non existent border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's 1% of people tested positive that die, there will be many more who have it but who never really get it bad and are not tested and are not counted in the numbers
    So the death rate will be well below 1%

Probably around the same as the regular flu so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

walshb wrote: »

I would guess, absolutely, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭twinytwo

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Absolutelly correct. You forgot to mention quite recent attempt to coverup sars outbreak 2002-2004.
    No numbers coming from North Korea are they miraculously immune?

Is here any different? Successive governments here basically want to ignore what happened with the Catholic church, the launderies, mother and baby homes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

1,000,000%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yes, the UK health authorities have said they believe they are 10 - 12 weeks away from the peak, we would probably be on a similar timescale but have taken action earlier so maybe a couple of weeks shorter for here.

Schools closed in Vietnam till the end of the month at least. I haven't taught since January.

I'd imagine it will go on for months. Was talk of the peak being in 10-12 weeks in the UK. Don't have a source to hand on that so look it up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This exactly... I think if my dad was still alive, she would have killed hime after the first two days of self isolation :)
    But seriously, I might go and visit but do as is sugested and keep my distance sit out in the garden with her, if its not pissing down and that would affect her breathing...

The other thing I would say is that older people are not thick!

Self or imposed isolation of the elderly parents should not be the sole decision of their children!

Talk to elderly parents about the risks and make mutual/joint decisions about arrangements for visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

UK chief medical advisor on sky news this morning admitting that the modelling that they are currently following is to allow 60% of the population to contract the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Gynoid wrote: »
    1% death rate is pretty high, in my opinion. People are kind of talking as if that is acceptable. Sure it means 99 out of 100 are okay, well except for the 8 or 9 of those 100 maybe left with interstitial lung damage. But if half of everyone catches it, it means a lot of damaged people and a fair amount of dead people.

Certainly wouldn't consider it acceptable. The reality is it will hit hard and lots of people will be in critical condition. I was reading of 6% mortality rates in Italy which is where I was coming from and terrified by it. The 1% will certainly be higher where demographics and access to ICU are factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

****Todays Public Service Announcement ****

Social distancing is a very effective method in stopping the spread of COVID19.

STAY THE FCUK AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND KEEP YOUR HYGIENE STANDARDS HIGH!

Keeping distance did not help Finland. This is how their bus stops look like without the coronavirus.
    https://i.redd.it/lseyqjmz24631.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think it is highly likely and it is highly likely there will be additional measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Apologies if it has already been answered but why does this virus seem to have little to no effect on small children?

Mind you That’s the only thing keeping me sane at the moment, knowing that while we have to navigate this pox fest my children will be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Schools closed in Vietnam till the end of the month at least. I haven't taught since January.

You must be running low on funds now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement