Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    Tesco navan panic buying already. Cues at door before opening at 8am. Shelves stocked but levels are low.

ffs this infuriates me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

GM228 wrote: »
    If true I would be extremely surprised by this because all sorts of legal problems could be created down the line for them.

Imagine all the legal challenges to convictions based on the prosecuting Garda having been fast tracked through the system with inadequate/incomplete training...

Least of our worries.
    This is unprecedented times.
    All hands on deck required by all.
    How we used to think and act goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

For such a PR savvy premier I can't believe he is there. US has deployed national guard in areas. They couldn't give a **** about the special non relationship. Especially at this time. I think the optics look terrible and FG will loose a few more votes next time around.

Still it might spur real action. Now that it's obvious they got that wrong by going on the trip perhaps they'll do something headline grabbing to show he is in control and we'll all be grand. People saying schools to close tomorrow. Could have been thought out in advance.

I was fairly cynical at the election being called right after some young lads body parts found in a suitcase. Leo tolstoy and the rest wouldn't shut up about crime and punishment. Didn't work then. People still cared about health and housing.

Called it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    Tesco navan panic buying already. Cues at door before opening at 8am. Shelves stocked but levels are low.

Sheep the lot of them. The rats in landfill will be thick fat when all the pasta gets the wheelie bin and all the drama queens have moved onto the next fad in a months time.
    They’ll punch themselves out by Sunday or so and there will be plenty left for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Im due to go to the UK today, but thinking F-that now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Not until after summer at the earliest.

Do you really think that, my 5th year daughter is already wondering how she’ll keep up with her studies, yes I know they’ll be able to do work online but obviously it won’t be the same as being in school for 7 hours a day. I highly doubt that many will do the same hours work at home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Roger_007 wrote: »
    They seem to have taken the view that it is impossible to prevent the spread of the virus. The figure of 60% is just daft. How could 60% be infected without the rest of the population being exposed one way or another.
    Nobody has any immunity now, so what they are really saying is that virtually everyone will be infected, the vast majority will recover and thereby build up herd immunity.
    It’s a different strategy to most countries and who’s to say it’s not the right one.
    The British ruling caste have rarely felt any moral resistance about politely burning their own old, poor and quaint peasants. The Russian ruling caste are the same, minus the politeness. The British ruling caste also don't like playing with others. "The wogs start at Calais"* principle. It doesn't exactly shock me they'd go it alone on this, especially in the midst of this Brexit period.

If this is their strategy, and it appears to be as you describe R, and the serious cases and fatality rates follow other zones they're going have a lot of people dying. Look at how terrible things in Italy went before they went into lockdown, which appears to have slowed the rate right down. Imagine they had taken the London route.

*for the pearl clutchers it's an unabridged Fawlty Towers quote.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Roger_007 wrote: »
    They seem to have taken the view that it is impossible to prevent the spread of the virus. The figure of 60% is just daft. How could 60% be infected without the rest of the population being exposed one way or another.
    Nobody has any immunity now, so what they are really saying is that virtually everyone will be infected, the vast majority will recover and thereby build up herd immunity.
    It’s a different strategy to most countries and who’s to say it’s not the right one.

The model is saying 60%, not 100%. Why are people -in such a panic. Take things for what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Boggles wrote: »
    When Leo gets back from his jolly, he needs to get on the phone with Arlene and Bojo and demand the North mimic the South.

The UK are sleepwalking into Italy, The Premier League are going to self suspend today.

Definitely And Leo should self isolate on his return probably get tested next week.

• Advertisement

• Embarrassing behavior from the public
    Lidl & Tesco car parks full already

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You must be running low on funds now?

I'm doing ok. Big believer in rainy day funds and I happen to own a Learning Management System that can do online classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Do you really think that, my 5th year daughter is already wondering how she’ll keep up with her studies, yes I know they’ll be able to do work online but obviously it won’t be the same as being in school for 7 hours a day. I highly doubt that many will do the same hours work at home.

All bets are off... the world has changed. Just keep her safe and forget about anything else. Nothing else matters except reducing (impossible to prevent) the death toll that's coming.

We still haven't got to grips with the priorities and perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

wylo wrote: »
    ffs this infuriates me

Absolute clowns. There are plenty of supplies to service the population during the pandemic. But no one can account for blind panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Fact - Coronavirus can survive for a long time on hard surfaces (plastic or metal).

https://i.imgur.com/KHQGtQw.mp4

Burn the ba$tard virus !

Ingenious !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

6 new cases in Jamaica. Total 8.

There is a group of BA staff who live in London over there for the past week whom I know. Wonder if they brought it...

They are on unpaid leave due to Covid19...some folks are just stupid as fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Embarrassing behavior from the public
    Lidl & Tesco car parks full already

Just goes to show the huge population of gobsh1tes that live in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Only when it suits their greed driven motives.
    Didn’t take them long to show their true colours.

Half the crap they buy will be off in a week or so if the virus doesn't get them the food poisoning might. None of these geniuses panic buying things you can make things with ,no, bread frozen pizzas slabs of beer . Fruit is like kryptonite to these clowns thank ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I hope everyone coming back from Cheltenham is locked away for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yes, the UK health authorities have said they believe they are 10 - 12 weeks away from the peak, we would probably be on a similar timescale but have taken action earlier so maybe a couple of weeks shorter for here.

Taking appropriate measures should push the peak out further, so we should hope our peak will be further away than that.
    The idea is that the peak will be much, more lower, and the cases much more spread out over time, giving the health services a chance to manage the workload and not be immediately overwhelmed by an early high peak of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They won't be obviously.

Many of them are all ready back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Safe to say we have entered the exponential growth phase.

People may get upset by the figures over the next few days.

It's nothing different to what Europe is going through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Italy will surpass China for active cases today.

Again, lets not be Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Very quck and quiet bus journey into work this morning. A journey that normally takes 45 minutes took 20. Office is very quiet today. Hoping that I can work from home from next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Safe to say we have enter the exponential growth phase.

People may get upset by the figures over the next few days.

It's nothing different to what Europe is going through though.

Yes, from looking at figures elsewhere, a doubling every 4 days looks likely in many countries. Hopefully, the eventual action by our government can slow this exponential growth down and give time to our health workers on the front line to deal with this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I'd imagine it will go on for months. Was talk of the peak being in 10-12 weeks in the UK. Don't have a source to hand on that so look it up.

What happens if we keep it out and if other countries bring in the disease say two months time?

We could be holding off the inevitable and her loads of cases. It’s good the schools etc have closed but when there open and if flights from badly affected regions are bringing people in we could be starting all over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Just goes to show the huge population of gobsh1tes that live in this country.

Also if people don’t do as they are asked with regard to panic buying, we can’t be sure they will do the other basic stuff to keep us all safe.

The irony of shops being crowded when people have been told to practice distancing.

This is why I believe stronger measures are not far away. Monday the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Boggles wrote: »
    They won't be obviously.

Many of them are all ready back.

Can’t believe it went ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They should have had someone meeting them at airports and ferryports to administer a good kick up the hole to each and every one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The US is so f*cked, it's scary reading this, people with obvious symptoms are being refused tests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement