Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Popped into Marks and Spencer on Grafton street at about 815 pretty dead, a decent amount of stuff still available they seem to be furiously stacking shelves so clearly tonnes of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Embarrassing behavior from the public
    Lidl & Tesco car parks full already

Are you recovering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What happens if we keep it out and if other countries bring in the disease say two months time?

We could be holding off the inevitable and her loads of cases. It’s good the schools etc have closed but when there open and if flights from badly affected regions are bringing people in we could be starting all over again

Idea is to limit the number of cases don't want an explosion of cases in the space of a few weeks. Spread out those cases over numerous months and the HSE will be better able to handle it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

gazzer wrote: »
    Very quck and quiet bus journey into work this morning. A journey that normally takes 45 minutes took 20. Office is very quiet today. Hoping that I can work from home from next week.

Very quite drive for me too, but since I work in health there'll be no working from home (unless I get sick, in which case I can do some supervision from a distance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

gmisk wrote: »
    Popped into Marks and Spencer on Grafton street at about 815 pretty dead, a decent amount of stuff still available they seem to be furiously stacking shelves so clearly tonnes of stock.

Hopefully the panic buyers will realise that the shelves will be restocked every evening and everything will calm the fúck down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Very quite drive for me too, but since I work in health there'll be no working from home (unless I get sick, in which case I can do some supervision from a distance)

I work in the Civil Service. There is talk of redeploying staff to Health areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

gazzer wrote: »
    Very quck and quiet bus journey into work this morning. A journey that normally takes 45 minutes took 20. Office is very quiet today. Hoping that I can work from home from next week.

Roads very quiet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The model is saying 60%, not 100%. Why are people -in such a panic. Take things for what they are.

If 60% are infected, how will the other 40% remain uninflected given how contagious this virus is?
    Of course many people who are infected will develop have very mild symptoms, or none at all. Their immune systems will have created antibodies to deal with the invader at an early stage. They may be totally unaware that they have the virus but they will be infective for a period of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Absolute clowns. There are plenty of supplies to service the population during the pandemic. But no one can account for blind panic.
    Humans are herd creatures. It's one thing that has served us well as a species. In most situations. We move and think like a flock of starlings and if we see enough of one group doing something we'll follow them. Bog roll fever a good example. There's no logic to it, but people don't want to miss out on being part of the group think, even when it goes against logic, as gathering in large milling groups in the face of contagion most certainly is.

If we could get the social distancing and mask memes going it would be good. However even though people have been buying out stocks of masks and paying silly prices for them because that's part of the group panic buying, so far I've seen vanishingly few people actually wearing said masks, except for a few Asian folks who are following their herd meme. I suspect there'll be a tipping point there soon enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

laurah591 wrote: »
    Sorry does that mean the virus is not connected to the original Bavarian cluster? Fascinating how they can track this
    The map shows two introductions in Valencia:
    -one from Germany (Bavaria in the map) via Italy
    -the second one directly from China

So we now know that the virus came to Europe to both Germany and Spain directly from China.

https://twitter.com/nextstrain/status/1238279354380980224

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Trainee Garda to be qualified ASAP

Those nearly finished training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Achasanai wrote: »
    Hopefully the panic buyers will realise that the shelves will be restocked every evening and everything will calm the fúck down.
    Ah you would hope so!
    The logic clearly went out the window big time yday with people piling into shops....when there is a dangerous virus floating about which is easily transmitted....in crowds of people....

I have a decent amount of stuff bought last few weeks so would be grand not going into a shop but fancied something nice for Friday and Saturday :).
    Too early for the wine for a dine in was only issue lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Embarrassing behavior from the public
    Lidl & Tesco car parks full already

Despite our much (self) vaunted education system, we seemed to have produced a generation of absolute morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,590 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People have been panic buying toilet roll here in Sydney for two weeks. Restocked every night and gone instantly. People buying trolleys full and nothing else.

It was funny at first. Mad behaviour. But two weeks later it’s still happening and I’m down to my last half a roll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Obvious logic like that won't stop the mob. They're going nuts this morning because the kids are off school now, so more time to "think" and panic buy. The weekend should take the sting out of it and hopefully the shops will follow the Lidl and Aldi lead of restricting some items to X number per customer. The government may have to step in if the mob keep acting stupidly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The irony and rationale of some bosses.

A friend of mine has to go to a meeting in a medium sized room in work where everyone is suggested to go.

Say 70 people, now there's a courtyard which is spacious and plenty of room for 300 people a 3 minute walk away from the meeting room.
    And 20 of these people were over seas in the last week on a marketing campaign.

But no let's all pack into the one place...

Ffs sheer ineptitude and lacking common sense and leadership...

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

I know everybody has been saying this, but kind reminder to check in on any elderly or vulnerable relations and neighbours. Most elderly aren’t as tech savy maybe you could help them use tesco delivery if going out isn’t possible for them.Even if it’s just a phone call for a chat I’m sure it would be appreciated by somebody who can’t go out due to health reasons and may be feeling lonely or needing reassurance.

Also don’t buy half the stores supplies , many healthcare workers are finishing late with long shifts and it’s not fair that shelves are left empty for them.

Be safe and be kind ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Wibbs wrote: »
    Humans are herd creatures. It's one thing that has served us well as a species. In most situations. We move and think like a flock of starlings and if we see enough of one group doing something we'll follow them. Bog roll fever a good example. There's no logic to it, but people don't want to miss out on being part of the group think, even when it goes against logic, as gathering in large milling groups in the face of contagion most certainly is.

If we could get the social distancing and mask memes going it would be good. However even though people have been buying out stocks of masks and paying silly prices for them because that's part of the group panic buying, so far I've seen vanishingly few people actually wearing said masks, except for a few Asian folks who are following their herd meme. I suspect there'll be a tipping point there soon enough.

wuhan-coronavirus-meme-7-600x600.jpg

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Safe to say we have entered the exponential growth phase.

People may get upset by the figures over the next few days.

It's nothing different to what Europe is going through though.

That's the thing with maths. Doesn't care if you are upset.

Hopefully collective measures will slow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭Christy42

jester77 wrote: »
    The US is so f*cked, it's scary reading this, people with obvious symptoms are being refused tests

They can't test many people. They made a mess of the start of the thing and simply don't have the kits. They need to take the most obvious cases only or they waste them. So far they have over a 10% positive rate which shows how careful they are being.

Their structure isn't designed for poor people to need healthcare in a way that hurts the rich if they don't get it and their infastructure for dealing with disease outbreaks has been ripped apart by Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Strange that Germany have the weakest measures yet have a very low perceived mortality rate compared to other countries
    South Korea has a low mortality rate and is testing widely and is putting measures in place to slow the spread.
    Germany has a low mortality rate and is not testing widely and is not putting appropriate measures in place to slow the spread.
    I am not happy with this, as Germany has a lot of business interests all over Europe - which means a lot of contacts (regardless of their nationality) across European countries.
    And we know that more contacts = increased spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In a way I don't blame panic buyers.
    Humans are for the most part irrational, and recent events have tested us.

We need help at this point and this is where rations etc... need to come in to ensure supply for all.
    It's only natural we want to provide and protect ourselves.

We need to understand people's irrationally and ultimately nudge and help change their behaviour, especially when it comes down to adhering to lockdowns / social contact.
    This is where authorities may need to enforce draconian laws if the people cant do it of their own accord.

We may only be as strong as our weakest links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Did any of the psychics, Uri Geller, Old Moore etc, predict this world changing event?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Hi All. I just received this message from a consultant paediatrician in CUH. She requested that it be shared as much as possible across Cork. Please read and pass on.

Message from consultant respiratory paediatrician at cork university hospital . I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time . The children will get through this no problem . Paediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating . Remember with corona children are vectors not victims . In most epidemics young children are the transmitters . Therefore for school closure to be effective it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school . They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in cork . Avoid situations that the children will interact . If the community respond to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that corona virus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower . I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in cork it will help. This messsge needs to go viral to stop the virus .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Despite our much (self) vaunted education system, we seemed to have produced a generation of absolute morons.

Well, the educated people would have all been working yesterday while the shops were being run over. I think this says a lot more about the generosity of our welfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only ones that should be "panic" buying is the HSE and other relevant departments.

Whatever about them telling us all what to do which is very important, they should all ready have several temporary hospitals setup and kitted out.

The Gardaí have offered to empty Templemore, no brainer there should be a hospital in there immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

In general we are panic merchants but I can see where they're coming from this time. When official policy goes from: wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands to schools closing all of a sudden you can see why people would think it will go: social isolation, social isolation, social isolation, lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

jester77 wrote: »
    Well, the educated people would have all been working yesterday while the shops were being run over. I think this says a lot more about the generosity of our welfare system.

Not surprising that the chicken nuggets and frozen pizza supplies seem to be the worst hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s the same generation that invented X factor and goggle box.hardly surprising they turned out to be sheep queuing up for a toilet roll.
    Imagine that.they sit there watching tv,watching other people watching tv.
    Ireland used to produce poets and scholars.now it only has sheep rolling off the production line with peaky blinder haircuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Christy42 wrote: »
    They can't test many people. They made a mess of the start of the thing and simply don't have the kits. They need to take the most obvious cases only or they waste them. So far they have over a 10% positive rate which shows how careful they are being.

Their structure isn't designed for poor people to need healthcare in a way that hurts the rich if they don't get it and their infastructure for dealing with disease outbreaks has been ripped apart by Trump.

I imagine the US will see sweeping health care changes now. The hunger games spring to mind, if we burn, so do you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement