Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Went to the office for a last time today before I start working from home as I had a few things to sort out (employer sent communication last night that the office is open but anyone can work from home if possible and if they want to).

Office is very empty.I’d say it’s 80-90% working from home from day one. And talking to one of the senior manager she expects there will be almost no one next week.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    A guy posted here saying he's available with his car to do food runs for elderly people in certain Dublin post codes.

There's good and bad indeed.

That’s the one post I noticed when jumping loads of pages.

Hey d<insert random numbers>!
    Did your daughter get tested in the end? How’s the lad from her school doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hang on you think 80+ is a lot of shopping.

It is for a lot of people. Don't be a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Would there have been an argument to keep creches open, and also schools for the leaving certs only, but close the pubs.
    There will still be 1000s of people packed together in pubs and clubs up and down the country over the next 3 days.

Creche closure cause massive disruption, as will disruption for exam students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I read/ heard somewhere over the last week or two that there's a vaccine for SARS that's close to finishing trials in the US that could help.

I know they contained SARS so maybe emphasis wasn't on it but still, no way we'll have a brand new covid specific vaccine anywhere near a year from now judging by that time line.

All here

https://www.theprogress.com/news/behind-the-scenes-scientists-prep-for-covid-19-vaccine-test/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

And then they all cram into a bus after queuing 2 m apart?

Good question! Just asked my Finnish friend. Buses are not packed. She was quite shocked when she first arrived here. Crammed busses and everyone wanted to hug her. We worked in a multinational corp, and especially Italian, Spanish and French girls hugged and kissed each morning. This was a culture shock for a Finnish girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hang on you think 80+ is a lot of shopping.
    Adiboo wrote: »
    It is for a lot of people. Don't be a prick.

Don't be harsh on Niallo, he's not the best with numbers. Thought that 911 x 10 was 91100.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guardian reporting that Chinese records show they had the first cases of this in November but suppressed the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Where do you go/ring to get tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

SPECTRE_Logo.png

They got their testicles tentacles everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Hitchens wrote: »
    Did any of the psychics, Uri Geller, Old Moore etc, predict this world changing event?

Nostradamus did, it went something like “ The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

whats the ETA on a vaccine?

Apparently the madness has started again in the Supermarkets

Selfish or wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't be harsh on Niallo, he's not the best with numbers. Thought that 911 x 10 was 91100.

Man you got to get over any issues you have with me over football. I think this is a little more important. And no I dont think 80 euro for a family shop who are stockpiling is a lot no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

who is going to looks after kids for people who still have to go to work?

Probably other family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

I'm not sure if this has been posted earlier as I've not read all of last night's posts. This has been posted by a local GP here in Galway to parents of school children. I have omitted the name but it is genuine and I'm happy to verify the name if a mod wants to PM me. Hopefully it may be of use to some.

Message from Dr. GP NAME, SURGERY ADDRESS, GALWAY..
    It is important that everyone understands the reason for closing schools. It is to limit contacts and so reduce infection spread. This will not work if groups of kids congregate together like it’s another mid-term break. Limit contact means limit spread.
    You will not know you are spreading the virus until you get symptoms. By then you will have infected on average another 9 people.
    The hospital can help those who need treatment but has very limited resources. We need to try and stop people getting this virus.
    And so although bars, restaurants and coffee shops are open, every contact is a possible source of spread.
    Though most kids get a mild illness, they spread the virus widely so if at all possible, also keep them away from grandparents.
    A bit like an election every person’s effort counts.
    The quicker this is dealt with, the quicker life can return to normal. Best wishes. GP NAME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

kevcos wrote: »
    Only 8 new cases reported in China, 3 of them from overseas.
    But lets not highlight that in the media because it kinda quells the hysteria that's being whipped up.
    This is already the new Y2K "nothing happened" myth!

Just like with Y2K, an unprecedented effort in China prevented the epidemic spreading beyond Hubei province. We have only seen a handful of other countries introduce similar measures.

We still have a long way to run with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hotel Doolin in county clare has told any elderly people that don't want to go outside it will deliver their meals for as long as this lasts, totally free, great to see things like this happening

This is great. The best workable solution is for vulnerable groups to ride this out at home while the community supports them. A full country lock down may not be workable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

whats the ETA on a vaccine?

Late 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

China accusing US now of starting CV,saying US army brought it there--just now on CNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Man you got to get over any issues you have with me over football. I think this is a little more important. And no I dont think 80 euro for a family shop who are stockpiling is a lot no.

It was your whole "Hang on" judgemental comment. Maybe it's not a lot for you or your family, but it is a lot for others. Don't make people feel ****ty about their financial situation for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

joe40 wrote: »
    Would there have been an argument to keep creches open, and also schools for the leaving certs only, but close the pubs.
    There will still be 1000s of people packed together in pubs and clubs up and down the country over the next 3 days.

Creche closure cause massive disruption, as will disruption for exam students.

Imo yes. Belgiums actions are pretty much this and seem much more sensible. Closing creches without closing all business puts a huge amount of working parents in an impossible situation.

I'm not a parent but it's just one of those things when you say it out loud it just doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub#gall-16

Temple Bar pubs hopping last evening...Scroll down webcam for yesterday's photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would it be off-colour to say we need a cull?

Yea, probably....

- I'd say we need a better education system, lest we end up like the Brits & yanks (we're not quite there yet, there's still time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So as far as shutdowns are concerned, when is the point they reopen things?
    When the infections slow condiderably ? or when it is totally passed ?
    You'd imagine it's when it's totally passed - as otherwise things would spike again when shutdown lifted... but for it to totally pass we could be talking a year and they cannot afford a shutdown that long ?

so whats the plan ?

In towns in Northern Italy they have shown no new infections, it's working, but when will they be able to get back to normal life ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

cjmc wrote: »
    Where do you go/ring to get tested

Ring the GP
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html#Testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Banzai600 wrote: »
    My first and only post re this current situation.

last night i picked up 4 cans of beer in an aldi on the way home, place was ravaged. Got to the checkout and let an elderly person go ahead - who was on a stick, had 4 items, i then asked the 2 women ahead of me with their brimmed trolleys to let the guy go, they said NO and start throwing faces etc - i was spewing at the ignorance and pure selfish and pr!ckful nature.

was in a lidl that at 0730 this morning that opened at 0700, ppl RUNNING out with their full trolleys, inside the atmosphere was tetchy, its FCUKING NUTS ! i went in to get a carton of milk for the office, couldnt believe it. Then a guy rowing with staff who had all tills open, but they handled this little pr!ck well. he was about to get ejected by a couple of bystanders, could of got nasty but he would have deserved it.

The irish and this country have turned into repulsive dogs / selfish animals with their disgusting behaviour, and its all walks of life. they'd walk over you dead on the ground. Thats a fact of reality.

the RTE media, FFS , your wan Miley almost foaming at the mouth stoking the fear factor and the ****in idiot news anchor prancing around hoping for impending doom. Some shower of fcuks them too.

Agreed, but also lots of decent good people. Our neighbours who are both primary school teachers have set up classes in their home. They are schooling kids from our neighbourhood all day, allowing parents to continue working. People like John and Sheila English are the reason why we Will get through this crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Denmark: +111 cases.

Two Ts: testing and transparency.

Countries that don't test (much), have very few cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

my wife is in dunnes in sligo presently...just spoke to her on phone...she said its busy..but not too busy...nothing like xmas and no sign of panic buying or anything out of stock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement