Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Adiboo wrote: »
    Do you not find that sad?

I couldn't care less. I'll conduct my business in whatever the medium most people use, in this case here that would be English. I have no sentimental attachment to a language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

All major sporting events in America are cancelled.
    Tv chat shows going out without an audience from Monday. Meanwhile Uk ditters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Looks like normal milk. He must plan on him and his family eating nothing but cereal for the next week or so.

I'm so angry. Imagine all the elderly people collecting their pension today..many of which are completely alone having to go in and try deal with these bastards and choosing what's leftover on empty shelves :(

Has to be for a business , maybe hotel/restaurant or something. Nobody could need that much or be that stupid surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The fundamental issue with the UK is we have people freely coming in and out of the country with no restrictions from my understanding

Said it elsewhere but Cheltenham alone will cause a massive spike in cases for people in direct contact and community transmissions with lads being rattled from beer and immune systems down because of the booze

In essence the government here are taking the correct action but the UK government are ****ing it up for us

Countries will just keep reinfecting each other until theres real travel restrictions/quarrantine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    This is very positive if true (coronavirus cancels hockey, canada hold my beer)

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/coronavirus-vaccine-made-in-saskatchewan-is-now-in-the-testing-stages

Just shows how important it is to crack on with socially responsible behaviour for the next while, because by doing so lives will be saved.

Direct quote from the article

"As of now, there is no timeline as to when it could be ready for human use"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Has to be for a business , maybe hotel/restaurant or something. Nobody could need that much or be that stupid surely?

Good point. He had a few packets of toilet roll too. I hope he enjoys his cereals anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Meanwhile Uk ditters.

what the UK is at is horrifying imo

horrifyingly stupid

or horrifyingly callous

makes you wonder is Johnson a complete puppet......surely he realises if the tide of public opinion was to turn against him completely then mishandling this would turn that possibility into a definite.

guy might find himself exiled making appearances on maura and daithi down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The fundamental issue with the UK is we have people freely coming in and out of the country with no restrictions from my understanding

Said it elsewhere but Cheltenham alone will cause a massive spike in cases for people in direct contact and community transmissions with lads being rattled from beer and immune systems down because of the booze

In essence the government here are taking the correct action but the UK government are ****ing it up for us

Fact check: UK sticking to actual logical reasoning and scientific data, has lower rate of infection per capita than Ireland. Ireland is a monkey smacking every button on the dashboard in the hope of activating the treat release button.

• Countries will just keep reinfecting each other until theres real travel restrictions/quarrantine

I agree, but equal measures taken by every country putting restrictions in place helps slow down the impact for everyone.

Countries will just keep reinfecting each other until theres real travel restrictions/quarrantine

This ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Fact check: UK sticking to actual logical reasoning and scientific data, has lower rate of infection per capita than Ireland. Ireland is a monkey smacking every button on the dashboard in the hope of activating the treat release button.

could you tell me the logical reasoning for letting cheltenham going ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

We could do with a good cull in society really.. hopefully all the panic hoarders with multi but Easter eggs and boot loads of short life perishable goods are the first to go..

Professor Peter Piot of the London school of hygiene and tropical medicine suggesting there could be an ‘effective therapy’ for the disease available next month based on antiviral drugs used to treat HIV and Ebola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

amacca wrote: »

factcheck he says..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I know everybody has been saying this, but kind reminder to check in on any elderly or vulnerable relations and neighbours. Most elderly aren’t as tech savy maybe you could help them use tesco delivery if going out isn’t possible for them.Even if it’s just a phone call for a chat I’m sure it would be appreciated by somebody who can’t go out due to health reasons and may be feeling lonely or needing reassurance.

Also don’t buy half the stores supplies , many healthcare workers are finishing late with long shifts and it’s not fair that shelves are left empty for them.

Be safe and be kind ☺️

amen to this; cannot be said often enough. I am in frequent phone touch with my family and without that it would be very hard. If they don't hear for a couple or three days they have a number here to call to check on me.

Professor Peter Piot of the London school of hygiene and tropical medicine suggesting there could be an ‘effective therapy’ for the disease available next month based on antiviral drugs used to treat HIV and Ebola.

Sounds good
    any link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Madrid región from now on will assume everyone with mild symptoms has coronavirus and will only test those in remission to confirm the negative results and give them the all clear.
    The regional government is also taking over private health resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

IQO wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html#Testing

Also having a bit of cough and a slight headache myself for the last three days. Still working from home (I was already since the beginning of the week). It's not very severe - and if I would have had the same around this time last year, before Corona, I would probably just have gone to work.

Not sure if I have the virus now, but there is a chance - and probably the same applies for many other people at the moment, who won't call their GP but are risking the spread of the virus.

I'm now staying at home and intending to call the GP for testing when the situation would get worse (if it would get) - but at the same time I'm then also realising that the numbers of infections we're currently seeing are a bit skewed. Only the more severe cases with visible symptoms (who call their GP for testing and to double check) are currently being counted.

Call your GP. If the stats are meaningless because people aren't coming forward, then we will have no idea where we are (baseline) and therefore no idea if any of the protection measures are working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you want to check facts could you please compare the amount of tests done in both countries.

The UK's chief health officer suggested that there was a large number of uk undetected cases. We dont know how that compares with ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I bet you thought putting "Fact Check" at the start of that drivel was a very clever move. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I love people saying those who stockpiled are gob****es.

I respect freedom of expression.

Get your head out of "the sand"

Seen as though people on here were right about every point, what's next?

Supply chains go down.

Think about that. No really think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A cabinet minister, a football manager and a football player are amongst their cases. It tends to suggest their overall figures for the whole country of 590 cases is wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Just thought I’d put this up here.

Message from consultant respiratory paediatrician at cork university hospital . I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time . The children will get through this no problem . Paediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating . Remember with corona children are vectors not victims . In most epidemics young children are the transmitters . Therefore for school closure to be effective it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school . They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in cork . Avoid situations that the children will interact . If the community respond to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that corona virus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower . I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in cork it will help. This messsge needs to go viral to stop the virus .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I have a cupla focail, but language is not the only indicator of a successful education system..

I'm perplexed, do you think my post was a general dig at Irish people?

Or are you one of the gaggle of gobshites that went panic buying yesterday so you could put it on your insta,?and now you feel offended that I think those people are dangerous idiots?

How about keep in mind that our own education system has challenges, how about keep in mind some of us have American/British friends and family, and FYI, my wife has been slowly bringing home extra bits over the last weeks so there was no stockpiling here. People in general aren't gob****es or dangerous idiots, they're scared. Stocks will replenish. How about just stop with the insults? There's enough to contend with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭1641

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The US and the UK are fecked. Their response has been disgraceful.

We’re miles ahead of them.

I watched the last few UK press conferences. They seem to be going for a slightly different strategy than us.

Like us they are also talking about "flattening the curve". But they seem to be putting the emphasis on using period this in order to develop popuation-level herd immunity, while spreading out the pressure on the health service. They are talking about a 16+ week period of infection spread with the highest intensity in a 8-9 week period in the middle. They see the start of this as a few weeks off yet.

During the high intensity period they are going to call on the elderly and the vulnerable to effectively self-isolate. They are not calling on them to do so now, as they think the 8-9 week period as the maximum that can be endured. During this period they obviously see the infection as raging through the community, the NHS stretched to the limit, but at the end of there will be widespread immunity and the infection will be under natural control as it will have far fewer potential hosts. I assume that after this they will gradually begin to relax the controls. They are hoping that self-isolation during the high intensity period will be the best protection for the elderly.

They obviously don't put faith in the theory of "stopping the virus in its tracks". Beyond temporary delay, they do not see this as effective, and that the virus would continue to circulate for longer, and the population would become fatigued. They indicate that when schools close it will be right into the summer, hence why they are trying to delay starting it.

Whether this approach will be better or worse time will tell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

amacca wrote: »

Probably the additional panic caused if all those punters didn't get their gambling fix would have pushed UK society over the edge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Steve F wrote: »
    Sounds good
    any link please?

Currently on the Sky News app. Can’t link from the phone. Article called “Spread of coronavirus much worse than ebola”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I love people saying those who stockpiled are gob****es.

I respect freedom of expression.

Get your head out of "the sand"

Seen as though people on here were right about every point, what's next?

Supply chains go down.

Think about that. No really think about it.

There are months of stocks in storage and we still produce a lot of food here. The supply chains have shown no signs of interruption.
    The panic buying yesterday was ludicrous. Scared people making other people scared (and silly).
    The toilet roll phenomenon is beyond reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Absolutely, UK is following the advice of its Chief Medical and Scientific officers.

Ireland is more concerned with placating the social-media doom merchants by being seen to be doing something. Closing the schools is likely to have absolutely no effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement