Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

lawred2 wrote: »
    factcheck he says..

:D:pac::):pac::D

Indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Probably asked and answered already, but are most people dying from the secondary infection of pneumonia or the virus itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Feeling a bit paranoid here.

Son (13) has just woken up. Blocked nose and feeling hot. Temp 37.7 when I took it. No other symptoms.

Would it be daft to phone GP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Man in lidl with like 12+ cartons of milk each containing 2 litres.

Wtf is he expecting to do with that? It will be gone off in a week ffs.

Are we running out of cows or something?

He may own a café? You just do not know. Deliveries to places get skewed as such times; best not to judge ;) And milk freezes very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If the UK don't impose stricter measures such as banning large gatherings and close schools, we may have to ask people who return from the UK to self isolate. The Chinese are already doing this for some European hotspots.

It makes no sense for us to do everything to get this under control but the UK still continue with business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Absolutely, UK is following the advice of its Chief Medical and Scientific officers.

Ireland is more concerned with placating the social-media doom merchants by being seen to be doing something. Closing the schools is likely to have absolutely no effect.

Are you still getting Cold War flashbacks? All that hiding under a desk as kid must have had profound psychological effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yurt! wrote: »
    Probably asked and answered already, but are most people dying from the secondary infection of pneumonia or the virus itself?

Most are actually dying from complications due to underlying health issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

SusanC10 wrote: »

Son (13) has just woken up. Blocked nose and feeling hot. Temp 37.7 when I took it. No other symptoms.

Absolutely not.

Phoning the GP would be the right thing to do.

Might be nothing more than a common cold but better to be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fact check: UK sticking to actual logical reasoning and scientific data, has lower rate of infection per capita than Ireland. Ireland is a monkey smacking every button on the dashboard in the hope of activating the treat release button.

At the moment no country in Europe is doing a good job. Italy might be starting to get to grips with it - time will tell.

The only countries actually doing a good job are all in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I love people saying those who stockpiled are gob****es.

I respect freedom of expression.

Get your head out of "the sand"

Seen as though people on here were right about every point, what's next?

Supply chains go down.

Think about that. No really think about it.

'freedom of expression' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Absolutely, UK is following the advice of its Chief Medical and Scientific officers.

Ireland is more concerned with placating the social-media doom merchants by being seen to be doing something. Closing the schools is likely to have absolutely no effect.

What a ridiculous statement, so EVERY country that has closed schools to help stop the spread is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Most are actually dying from complications due to underlying health issues.

It's been a while since I've heard of anybody 'dying' from diabetes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Absolutely not daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Fact check: UK sticking to actual logical reasoning and scientific data, has lower rate of infection per capita than Ireland. Ireland is a monkey smacking every button on the dashboard in the hope of activating the treat release button.

What you have said is that the UK has a lower rate of infection than Ireland. That would imply that the UK does not need to take the action that Ireland has. YET.

Your description of Ireland as a monkey revealsl the real point of your post. Reported. And now ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Generally how much did people stock pile?

I bought enough for me and the family to get by for 2 months or more if we rationed it out. I mostly bought tinned and dry goods but also bought a lot of fresh food, probably too much to be honest. I've tried to freeze some of it. I'm not going to be able to freeze the stuff like milk and eggs though so some may go to waste unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

TERMONFECKIN DONKEY DERBY IS OFF.

I REPEAT. OFF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

I see, why did Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong do that?

why are a large number of other european countries doing that as well?

They all concerned about insta influencers that probably dont vote for them too

The UK are the ones that have got this right and all the other countries, particularly the ones with health sevices not overwhelmed are just silly sheep Eh?

FFs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hermy wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Phoning the GP would be the right thing to do.

Might be nothing more than a common cold but better to be sure.

I was wondering similar myself and checked the HSE advice:
    HSE wrote:
    When you may need to call a doctor
    For most people who have these symptoms now, it is more likely to be an infection that is not coronavirus.

You only need to phone a doctor if you have symptoms and any of the following apply to you:

they are the type of symptoms you would usually contact a GP about
    you have travelled from an affected area
    you are a close contact of a confirmed case in Ireland - if you are, the Department of Public Health will contact you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Just bear this in mind.

Message from consultant respiratory paediatrician at cork university hospital . I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time . The children will get through this no problem . Paediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating . Remember with corona children are vectors not victims . In most epidemics young children are the transmitters . Therefore for school closure to be effective it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school . They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in cork . Avoid situations that the children will interact . If the community respond to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that corona virus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower . I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in cork it will help. This messsge needs to go viral to stop the virus .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why worry?

As a grizzled veteran of many varied conflicts, you'll be fine.

I love people saying those who stockpiled are gob****es.

I respect freedom of expression.

Get your head out of "the sand"

Seen as though people on here were right about every point, what's next?

Supply chains go down.

Think about that. No really think about it.

China and Italy have seen it far worse than us and their shops or restaurants didn't close.

Anyone with half a clue about coronavirus would know its virtually impossible to shut down shops and supply chains. If everyone goes about their shopping normally, everything will be ok. If thousands rush to the shops at once, they become prime targets for spreading and contracting CV.

Personally I will be waiting for the shops to quieten down once the hoarders are done and have no more space in their house to stock toilet paper and the like. Also less chance of contracting CV once they are done.

Remember avoid large indoor gatherings and 15 minutes in proximity with someone infected. How long do you queue in the shop for during this madness?

Get in, do your shop quickly and get out quickly.

Its obvious those panic buying haven't watched the news or taken on board the advice to avoid large indoor gatherings. They are the "I'm alright Jack" brigade and this time may well be caught out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

I bought enough for me and the family to get by for 2 months or more if we rationed it out. I mostly bought tinned and dry goods but also bought a lot of fresh food, probably too much to be honest. I've tried to freeze some of it. I'm not going to be able to freeze the stuff like milk and eggs though so some may go to waste unfortunately.

Brilliant. Maybe you could offer any stuff that was foolishly stockpiled that doesn't keep to relatives and friends unable to obtain goods due to people stockpiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The fundamental issue with the UK is we have people freely coming in and out of the country with no restrictions from my understanding.

In essence the government here are taking the correct action but the UK government are ****ing it up for us

Well you can say that today, but there is no evidence yet to back that up!

Maybe in a few weeks time we'll see if the UKs numbers are spiralling out of control, and if their 'non control' is affecting us in the ROI, but this remains to be seen.

A couple of weeks ago we exported Northern Irelands 1st Coronavirus victim from Italy (via Dublin airport) to Northern Ireland, some might argue that we were a bit lax at that time, although it probably was too early in the outbreak to know.

Boris Johnson's top advisors have made a decision and Boris has reacted accordingly, Leo Varadkar has also acted upon his best medical advisors, so we have two trains of thought from different experts, all of whom want to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Don't start blaming the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You can freeze milk.

Look online for the best way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I wonder is it alot worse when u see Hanks Trudeau's wife and soccer players contracting it or have they the wealth to test quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can freeze milk.

Look online for the best way to do it.

Put in freezer?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Morning. How are we all?

I OWE YOU A KNITTED HAT! It keeps niggling at me! pm?

Badly here but just my usual illness; hibernating … back at some stage to catch up.. stay safe..

• Advertisement

Just bear this in mind.

Message from consultant respiratory paediatrician at cork university hospital . I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time . The children will get through this no problem . Paediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating . Remember with corona children are vectors not victims . In most epidemics young children are the transmitters . Therefore for school closure to be effective it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school . They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in cork . Avoid situations that the children will interact . If the community respond to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that corona virus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower . I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in cork it will help. This messsge needs to go viral to stop the virus .

Schools and creches are notorious vectors for the spread of all kinds of usually mild diseases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement