Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

crisco10 wrote: »
    I was wondering similar myself and checked the HSE advice:

You see if I go by the HSE website - there is no need to contact GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

A top Galway-based surgeon has called for a national isolation hospital to be set up in Merlin Park within 72 hours in a bid to stop the spread of the deadly Covid-19 pandemic.

Sherif Sultan, Clinical Vascular Lead of the Saolta Hospital Group, said a dedicated isolation facility is necessary to “prevent chaos” in the healthcare system, and suggested that Merlin Park would be suitable for this purpose.

“The hospital was originally designed to manage TB in the last century. It has unused intensive care beds, a high dependency unit, helipad, CT scan, MRI, a full lab facility, and enough space for 400 beds,” he said.

“Merlin Park must be taken over by the Irish Army to have a speedy, lean management team to set it up in 72 hours, away from the HSE procuracy,” said Mr Sultan.

https://connachttribune.ie/top-surgeon-proposes-isolation-hospital-in-merlin-park/

Why isnt this and other anticipatory actions being taken?

this seems quite sensible to me, yet his call will fall on deaf ears.

The inaction from this countries leadership is as usual disgraceful. There is no leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Generally how much did people stock pile?

I bought enough for me and the family to get by for 2 months or more if we rationed it out. I mostly bought tinned and dry goods but also bought a lot of fresh food, probably too much to be honest. I've tried to freeze some of it. I'm not going to be able to freeze the stuff like milk and eggs though so some may go to waste unfortunately.

Don't waste food...you can freeze milk easily and you can make scrambled eggs or omelettes and then freeze eggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Fact check: UK sticking to actual logical reasoning and scientific data, has lower rate of infection per capita than Ireland. Ireland is a monkey smacking every button on the dashboard in the hope of activating the treat release button.

As I said before, who hires advisors and Experts? Do you think a top advisor for a tory leader would suggest a shutdown that would damage their buddies business interests etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I bought enough for me and the family to get by for 2 months or more if we rationed it out. I mostly bought tinned and dry goods but also bought a lot of fresh food, probably too much to be honest. I've tried to freeze some of it. I'm not going to be able to freeze the stuff like milk and eggs though so some may go to waste unfortunately.

We only stockpiled enough for 2 weeks and everyone in the house is considered high risk! You can freeze your milk if you have room in the freezer.

• Advertisement

Steve F wrote: »
    Direct quote from the article

"As of now, there is no timeline as to when it could be ready for human use"

Correct - what's your point? A vaccine at this point of development is very positive news, if it is true.

A vaccine is a when, not an if and we can reduce death and serious injury by behaving well over the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Yurt! wrote: »
    Probably asked and answered already, but are most people dying from the secondary infection of pneumonia or the virus itself?

No, the virus itself. If they hadnt caught it maybe they would have lived or lived longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Boggles wrote: »
    Put in freezer?

:confused:

No.

If you put it in its original carton it will just expand and burst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely, UK is following the advice of its Chief Medical and Scientific officers.

Ireland is more concerned with placating the social-media doom merchants by being seen to be doing something. Closing the schools is likely to have absolutely no effect.

Loads of people are at home now and not congregating as would be normal. Doesn't take much to conclude that that can only be a good thing when combating a virus that's dependent on proximity.

Absolutely no effect?

I'd say your Union Jack goggles are obscuring your vision somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭tigger123

Whiplashy wrote: »
    We only stockpiled enough for 2 weeks and everyone in the house is considered high risk! You can freeze your milk if you have room in the freezer.

There is no need to stockpile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

their 'non control' is affecting us in the ROI, but this remains to be seen.

Their 'no control' affects us immediately. We could elimainate the virus totally in a couple of weeks, but if the UK is not determined to also get rid of its outbreak, we will get reinfected. Restricting travel and placing quarantine on people coming here from the UK does not sound feasible to be honest.
    A couple of weeks ago we exported Northern Irelands 1st Coronavirus victim from Italy (via Dublin airport) to Northern Ireland, some might argue that we were a bit lax at that time, although it probably was too early in the outbreak to know.

It wasn't too early. It was clear there was a serious outbreak in Italy at that time. Some sort of restrictions on travel from both Italy and parts of China needed to be put in place at that time.
    Boris Johnson's top advisors have made a decision and Boris has reacted accordingly, Leo Varadkar has also acted upon his best medical advisors, so we have two trains of thought from different experts, all of whom want to stop the spread of Covid-19.

Don't start blaming "The Brits".

I totally agree about this. The usual jingoistic reactionary attitude is not appropriate. Nor is the issue exclusive to the UK! While we have unrestricted movement to Ireland from countries that have no intention of eliminating the outbreak, such as Spain, France, and Germany, then there will be no way for us to permanently eliminate the disease.

And make no mistake, it is perfectly possible to eliminate the disease. East Asia is almost disease free already, despite that being the part of the globe that the outbreak originated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That person is gonna lose their mind when they see stills from how busy it was in that pub last night!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

No.

I freeze beastings here all the time in plastic containers no problem. Glass would burst obviously

It's been a while since I've heard of anybody 'dying' from diabetes.

What about Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Spent the morning at local hospital briefing meetings. Impressive plans afoot.

Great to see the heros are still out in force here. Hope ye enjoy the milk and toilet roll.

Whatever happens with this my faith in humanity is completely gone. A bunch of rotten ***** out there. As long as they look after themselves and they can gloat on social media then all’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    It’s probably just a cold, but I would probably, in normal circumstances, call my GP anyway if my kid had a temperature first thing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

SusanC10 wrote: »

Logical conclusion of such advice is to go away and die. Do a national service and don't add to the tally.

#china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Logical conclusion of such advice is to go away and die. Do a national service and don't add to the tally.

#china

Good post. A real champ you are.

No.

Depends on how much flexibility the packet has.

The paper packets would probably be okay.

A jug would work well, provided you have a flat surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Inquitus wrote: »
    Utterly fails as they think people will self isolate.

So what would you do then? What would your plan be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

+633 in cases in spain today .... only 11.10 AM ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I wonder is it alot worse when u see Hanks Trudeau's wife and soccer players contracting it or have they the wealth to test quickly

These are well travelled people. I suspect a lot of them are picking it up at airports. They should be deep cleaning Dublin airport once a day. And wiping hand rails etc regularly as was done in China and South Korea. Personally I'd wear gloves if going through Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Cuckoo7 wrote: »
    It’s probably just a cold, but I would probably, in normal circumstances, call my GP anyway if my kid had a temperature first thing in the morning.

Would you ? I haven't done that since they were really small. It's not that high either 37.7. If it weren't for Coronavirus, I wouldn't even think about the GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Spent the morning at local hospital briefing meetings. Impressive plans afoot.

Great to see the heros are still out in force here. Hope ye enjoy the milk and toilet roll.

Whatever happens with this my faith in humanity is completely gone. A bunch of rotten ***** out there. As long as they look after themselves and they can gloat on social media then all’s good.

And you’re only realizing this now? As long as humans have been around they’ve been like this.
    Grow up child.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Really concerned about our UK response to this. They are encouraging the spread of it to create a hive immunity to prevent a second spike in winter to minimilise its overall impact. We're the only affected country going down this route.

It really feels like the economy is being put before the people.

What about Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state?

Homeostasis in these cases would be directly affected by the disease. Diabetes is a chronic disease which can 100% be managed under normal circumstances, at least to the point where it will never directly endanger the patient's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

But it's not surprising to see it rise in all these countries (including ourselves) considering that it's obviously spreading combined with more tests being carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Isn't it a daily announcement? If so then 633 is over the 24 hour period.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 boars

So it has aerosol transmission… No wonder the Chinese couldn't contain it.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

the above is not peer-reviewed (yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 dickdonk14

Milk can be frozen just pour some milk out of carton before freezing as it expands. Freezing will affect taste slightly. If freezing eggs just crack out of shell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement