Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

El Duda wrote: »
    Really concerned about our UK response to this. They are encouraging the spread of it to create a hive immunity to prevent a second spike in winter to minimilise its overall impact. We're the only affected country going down this route.

It really feels like the economy is being put before the people.

Well surely that can't be ... Brexit put people firmly before the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

joe40 wrote:
    Would there have been an argument to keep creches open, and also schools for the leaving certs only,

I really don't think so when it come to creches. As a former Early childhood worker, I know no matter how many times the staff clean and sterilise, sickness and viruses spread like wildfire in a creche setting. I myself picked up something from the creche in my last pregnancy which was very dangerous to my unborn child . Think of all the kids that are sneezing, spewing everywhere, babies crawling around teething and drooling on toys and then other children picking up that same toy. As well, a lot of grandparents do the creche pick ups. I've said this in another thread, but I'm glad they've closed them along with the schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I freeze beastings here all the time in plastic containers no problem. Glass would burst obviously

What are beastings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Good post. A real champ you are.

Thanks. Its hard going against the heard. You get punished socially. Before and after the fact.

If one person listened then I'm happy.

Here's a link to my first post 9 days ago. Little did they know.......

Really think we need to start taking it seriously. Anybody with a cursory understanding of statistics, probability and flight patterns could see cases being imported from Italy. On any given day there is on average ~10 direct flights from the affected regions in Italy. The cases we are seeking now are from last week. The number of cases in Italy has grown exponentially in the mean time. So the probability of more cases being imported has also increased and we will see more in coming days.

We are not being given a full picture for a very good reason. Panic is a bigger danger to society. That means some families will have to take the hit for the greater good. I don't want to be one of those families.

It's not the flu. Although look at the wikipedia page on 1918 Spanish flu for understanding of what happens during pandemic. If you are really arsed look at the sources referenced to dispel any thoughts that it's bull****.

In lombardy in Italy where first clusters recorded in Italy ~50% of those who tested positive ARE hospitalised. ~7% are in intensive care. They are testing like crazy. WHO said most western countries do not have the resources / training /will to mount a response like china did. We simply don't have enough mechanincal respirators to cope. Very soon Italy won't cope.

There is a lag on transmission that is lulling people in to false sense of security. There is also concerted effort to put business before health of nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If you think about it there are 60 million people in the UK and only 580 cases. 580 random people and 6 of them are the arsenal manager the health minister the notts forest owner and 3 Leicester players.. no way you would have that many high profile people in such a small sample size theres definitely thousands of people with it over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Really concerned about our UK response to this. They are encouraging the spread of it to create a hive immunity to prevent a second spike in winter to minimilise its overall impact. We're the only affected country going down this route.

It might work, it's all new for everyone. It's easier isolate 10% of the population than 70 or 80% of it. People are going die either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Would you ? I haven't done that since they were really small. It's not that high either 37.7. If it weren't for Coronavirus, I wouldn't even think about the GP.

Just because usually the temp increases towards the end of the day, so i’d be a little bit worried if he already had 37.7 first thing in the morning.
    But hey, I have no medical knowledge at all nor do I have children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Remember back to the good old days when our main concern was a fooking orange wind warning

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Coronavirus is here and Uk and worldwide. People are going to get infected we all know that. Most will recover some will have it and not know others will form immunity to it once they’ve had it others will get reinfected. It won’t be stopped

Schools are closed events cancelled but life has to go on. How long are people going to self isolate 2 months, 6 months a year? The amount of scaremongering is unbelievable.

You could lockdown the whole country for 6 months but it will only take one reinfection to start the cycle again.
    Maybe Uk are right- let the virus take its course it’s going to do that anyway it’s unstoppable until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

seenitall wrote: »
    What are beastings?

Milk for calfs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Brexit means get infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

lawred2 wrote: »
    Loads of people are at home now and not congregating as would be normal. Doesn't take much to conclude that that can only be a good thing when combating a virus that's dependent on proximity.

Absolutely no effect?

I'd say your Union Jack goggles are obscuring your vision somewhat.

So when they go back to school in 2 weeks time do you expect the crisis to be over? Also, who do you think are minding the kids today?
    If the kids are already incubating the virus then they are breathing it all over granny today.
    The UK scientists have just tried to apply some common sense, that’s all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

niallo27 wrote: »
    Milk for calfs.

And lambs

Its colostrum(humans/mammals) its before the milk comes in

Bayshtings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

seenitall wrote: »
    What are beastings?

Milk from freshly calved cows contains antibodies for a new born calf immune system

"What did you do during the corona virus Daddy?"
    Generally how much did people stock pile?

I bought enough for me and the family to get by for 2 months or more if we rationed it out. I mostly bought tinned and dry goods but also bought a lot of fresh food, probably too much to be honest. I've tried to freeze some of it. I'm not going to be able to freeze the stuff like milk and eggs though so some may go to waste unfortunately.

"You're a bit of an eejit Daddy"

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    Milk can be frozen just pour some milk out of carton before freezing as it expands. Freezing will affect taste slightly. If freezing eggs just crack out of shell

If going to such lengths - might as well get dried or condensed milk

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Isn't it a daily announcement? If so then 633 is over the 24 hour period.

The official numbers for the whole country are announced at 12:30 Madrid time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    "What did you do during the corona virus Daddy?"

"You're a bit of an eejit Daddy"

That gave me a good aul laugh. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is still an emerging disease that is not fully understood. Putting faith in herd immunity sounds like complete bolloxology at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Good post. A real champ you are.
    Coronavirus is here and Uk and worldwide. People are going to get infected we all know that. Most will recover some will have it and not know others will form immunity to it once they’ve had it others will get reinfected. It won’t be stopped

Schools are closed events cancelled but life has to go on. How long are people going to self isolate 2 months, 6 months a year? The amount of scaremongering is unbelievable.

You could lockdown the whole country for 6 months but it will only take one reinfection to start the cycle again.
    Maybe Uk are right- let the virus take its course it’s going to do that anyway it’s unstoppable until a vaccine is found.

Maybe, so you go out and lick a railing.

"The scans determined that 86% of Covid-19 patients have ground-glass opacities (GGO), while 64% have mixed GGO and consolidation and 71% have vascular enlargement in the lesion.

Ground glass opacities indicate partial filling of air spaces in the lungs by exudate or transudate, as well as interstitial thickening or partial collapse of the lung alveoli.

The lesions present on the CT images were more likely to have peripheral distribution (87%) and bilateral involvement (82%). They were also more likely to be lower lung predominant (54%) and multifocal (54%).

Just over 70% of the patients were aged between 21 and 50, and 78% had fever as the onset symptom. Only five patients showed disease associated with a family outbreak.

"

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

When the dust settles and all this is over the bill will be presented to the people one way or another

Homeostasis in these cases would be directly affected by the disease. Diabetes is a chronic disease which can 100% be managed under normal circumstances, at least to the point where it will never directly endanger the patient's life.

So what does the patient die of if the causative factor is DKA? Ketones?

Sorry. I missed your original point to the other person. I agree that DKA and HHS are complications of diabetes.

But it is still.you know, dying because of the underlying diabetes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If you think about it there are 60 million people in the UK and only 580 cases. 580 random people and 6 of them are the arsenal manager the health minister the notts forest owner and 3 Leicester players.. no way you would have that many high profile people in such a small sample size theres definitely thousands of people with it over there.

Well the clubs are testing staff every days of course they will have higher rate of detection ,
    Also i'd imagine thousands have it or will have it that will never even know they did,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Well as long as you’re ok with about 2-3% of the population dying it’s all ok then.
    Good on you. That's about 120,000 people just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spent the morning at local hospital briefing meetings. Impressive plans afoot.

Great to see the heros are still out in force here. Hope ye enjoy the milk and toilet roll.

Whatever happens with this my faith in humanity is completely gone. A bunch of rotten ***** out there. As long as they look after themselves and they can gloat on social media then all’s good.

This is so incredibly melodramatic, as are most of the reactions to the panic buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

When multi billion pound business are doing the right thing before Government, you know your fúcked.

Herd Immunity is 50%+ to be effective.

Basically an awful lot of people will have to die to reach that figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

flynnlives wrote: »
    https://connachttribune.ie/top-surgeon-proposes-isolation-hospital-in-merlin-park/

Why isnt this and other anticipatory actions being taken?

this seems quite sensible to me, yet his call will fall on deaf ears.

The inaction from this countries leadership is as usual disgraceful. There is no leadership.

Needs to be done alright. Merlin is a good option as its reasonably isolated from a city centre.

Bringing CV patients to a normal hospital is a massive risk. You'd have to isolate nurses and doctors from the rest of the hospital for example.

Sadly the Italy experience shows that nurses and doctors may have to be housed on site and not allowed home in case of infection spread.

We really aren't prepared for this, when it gets really bad.

A single hospital to deal with severe cases is a good idea. Will the HSE take it on board?

splinter65 wrote: »
    So when they go back to school in 2 weeks time do you expect the crisis to be over? Also, who do you think are minding the kids today?
    If the kids are already incubating the virus then they are breathing it all over granny today.
    The UK scientists have just tried to apply some common sense, that’s all.

If kids are already "incubating" the virus then keeping them at home prevents sharing the virus between children who go home in the evening. Fairly basic stuff.

In a lot of cases, parents are minding children. Not sure what your point is. There's no perfect approach. But reducing social mobility is a good place to start.

Your "common sense" approach is to do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

niallo27 wrote: »
    Milk for calfs.

Thanks! You see, contrary to Leo's wishes, every day is a school day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

At the moment no country in Europe is doing a good job. Italy might be starting to get to grips with it - time will tell.

The only countries actually doing a good job are all in Asia.

Belgium goes much further than any other Country except Italy

all these measures apply till 3 April:

• stop to all leisure and sport activities
    • closing schools, universities, restaurants and bars
    • non essential shops open only weekdays
    • essential shops (food and chemists) open weekdays and Saturdays
    • public transport business as usual
    • creches stay open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement