Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When the dust settles and all this is over the bill will be presented to the people one way or another

Invoice in the post to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If the Brits persist with the herd immunity "plan" we're going to have to suspend the CTA and close the land border unless NI chooses a saner path quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

otnomart wrote: »
    Belgium goes much further than any other Country except Italy

all these measures apply till 3 April:

• stop to all leisure and sport activities
    • closing schools, universities, restaurants and bars
    • non essential shops open only weekdays
    • essential shops (food and chemists) open weekdays and Saturdays
    • public transport business as usual
    • creches stay open
    We'll be doing these things in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

When the dust settles and all this is over the bill will be presented to the people one way or another

When the dust settles on this, we will all have to pay more tax. Its time to end the low tax model and fund public services properly. In the run up to the election Fine Gael were looking to cut taxes. Craziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's been a while since I've heard of anybody 'dying' from diabetes.

What a ridiculous and frankly insensitive comment.
    According to the World Health Organization, around 1.6 million people worldwide died due to diabetes in 2016.
    https://www.statista.com/topics/1723/diabetes/

People die from the complications arising from diabetes all the time.
    My own father died last Oct after a mild heart attack - if it wasn't for the fact that having been a diabetic for 40 years had severely damaged his kidneys he could have just had a stent put in and he'd still be with us today.

The damage to his kidneys caused by diabetes killed my father.

When my times comes it will probably be related to diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Invoice in the post to China.

Pity this virus isn’t like everything else that comes out of China.

Works for a week then falls apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭banie01

SusanC10 wrote: »
    You see if I go by the HSE website - there is no need to contact GP.

The HSE website is a more reliable indicator of when to call than anyone on an anonymous forum.

If you feel there is more up with him than a head old, ring your GP.
    If he is in a situation that you would usually call a GP for? Call them.
    If you have a worry regarding a potential infection interacting with vulnerable people? Ring your GP.

Don't for the love of Christ, place your common sense in the hands of a fúcking internet forum!

If you feel you need medical certainty, it's fairly clear what you need to do?
    Isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• creches stay open

They haven't gone much further. In fact leaving creches open is madness as kids are notorious vectors for the spread of disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

• creches stay open

They did not respond very well initially though

As of 4 March, ten new cases were confirmed before noon, making a total of 23. Nine of the new patients recently returned from Italy. The other patient had contact with a prior case. A complete family of 7 was infected upon their return from a ski holiday in the North of Italy. Initially the Belgian authorities did not want to test the family for the virus, notwithstanding the request of the family. Additionally a teacher in a primary school in Wevelgem, who was on the same ski vacation as the family of seven and even went to work for two and a half days after the school holiday became sick and was diagnosed with the covid-19 virus. The Agentschap Zorg en Gezondheid advised the school to not close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Boggles wrote: »
    When multi billion pound business are doing the right thing before Government, you know your fúcked.

Herd Immunity is 50%+ to be effective.

Basically an awful lot of people will have to die to reach that figure.

Millions of people throughout history have had to die so that you could inherit traits that mean you don’t drop dead from every one of the billions of pathogens you encounter every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

murphaph wrote: »
    If the Brits persist with the herd immunity "plan" we're going to have to suspend the CTA and close the land border unless NI chooses a saner path quickly.

They'll end up completely overwhelmed. Have a heart attack and need critical care, sorry mate, the ICU is full due to our herd immunity plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

AdamD wrote: »
    This is so incredibly melodramatic, as are most of the reactions to the panic buying.

I agree, If the shelves weren’t going to be replenished then being angry at panic buyers is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

murphaph wrote: »

exactly. Our faith is tied to what they do regardless of any lockdowns we implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What a ridiculous and frankly insensitive comment.

Okay, fine. Diabetes is the thing we should be worrying about, not covid-19. Got it. If a patient dies from covid-19 while also having a comorbidity of diabetes we can say that this is really indicative of the danger of diabetes, rather than representative of the threat of the coronavirus.

I think it is high handed for people to label sudden death as being due to an underlying condition like diabetes, asthma, or similar. I find that it is often used as a cop-out. If someone has a heart attack and they aren't adequately treated in the golden hour, I don't think it is legitimate to write off the person as having had 'an underlying condition'. No, it was the heart attack that killed that person, and adequate treatment could potentially have saved them. I am seeing a tendency in the media to so 'ah yes, but that person had an underlying condition' when there is a report of a fatality in relation to covid-19, as if that underlying condition could have caused that person's death at the drop of the hat. I don't think that this is true.

Are chronic conditions serious? Yes. Are chronic conditions chronic? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

We should do a community experiment.

Anyone who is about to post "it's grand" or similar.
    Can they go out and lick a railing. Like Tesco , post office etc.

Then report back on how symptoms are progressing and if it is in fact grand.

(please don't do this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I see everyone's favorite term is now vector...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They'll end up completely overwhelmed. Have a heart attack and need critical care, sorry mate, the ICU is full due to our herd immunity plan.

The plan isn’t ‘herd immunity’ would you and the daily mail cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

A colleague told nobody and headed to Spain for a few days, due back on Monday.
    I found this out on the grapevine. What can I do, if anything, can I ask management to force her to self quarantine?
    I'm fuming and will be refusing to deal with her or handle any paperwork she may hand up to me.

Am I overreacting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,328 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Millions of people throughout history have had to die so that you could inherit traits that mean you don’t drop dead from every one of the billions of pathogens you encounter every day.

Presumably you'd be happy enough to sacrifice yourself and your family for this "plan" too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No.

If you put it in its original carton it will just expand and burst.

There is enough 'give' in plastic and tetrapak containers - glass will shatter.
    I have a couple of 1 ltr tetrapaks of milk safely frozen, my Mam has a few of those 1 pint plastic containers frozen.
    Nothing has burst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I found this out on the grapevine. What can I do, if anything, can I ask management to force her to self quarantine?
    I'm fuming and will be refusing to deal with her or handle any paperwork she may hand up to me.

Am I overreacting?

Yes, you're being needlessly hysterical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

To be honest when you hear about other countries I think its kinda obvious that they've accepted that huge swatches of the population will be infected and that they'll see hundreds of thousands of deaths across the EU.
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall for these leadership meetings and see the real projected figures etc.
    Merkel is about the only one who's called out what's really going on and that they(german people) just have to accept it until a vaccine is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm wondering how many sporting events that havent been called off are hoping to be forced to call off. I guess it lies better with insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Okay, fine. Diabetes is the thing we should be worrying about, not covid-19. Got it.

Was it your plan this morning to be incredibly obtuse?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Good post. A real champ you are.

Same poster was calling me racist earlier for suggesting sanctions on the Chinese government as a result of the virus.

Best to ignore tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

lawred2 wrote: »
    I see everyone's favorite term is now vector...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

They did not respond very well initially though

As of 4 March, ten new cases were confirmed before noon, making a total of 23. Nine of the new patients recently returned from Italy. The other patient had contact with a prior case. A complete family of 7 was infected upon their return from a ski holiday in the North of Italy. Initially the Belgian authorities did not want to test the family for the virus, notwithstanding the request of the family. Additionally a teacher in a primary school in Wevelgem, who was on the same ski vacation as the family of seven and even went to work for two and a half days after the school holiday became sick and was diagnosed with the covid-19 virus. The Agentschap Zorg en Gezondheid advised the school to not close down.

They had shortages of reagents for the test which limited testing.
    Still, they acted yesterday at 400 cases.
    Much better response than France and Germany.
    Belgium first case came from the China controlled repatriation and second case had been in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭golfball37

Am I overreacting?

She is obliged to self isolate for 14 days and should be shamed if she refuses to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Am I overreacting?

Absolutely not. A very important part of this is to shame people into doing the right thing if they are too fúcking cúntísh to do it themselves. Fúck them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Maybe, so you go out and lick a railing.

"The scans determined that 86% of Covid-19 patients have ground-glass opacities (GGO), while 64% have mixed GGO and consolidation and 71% have vascular enlargement in the lesion.

Ground glass opacities indicate partial filling of air spaces in the lungs by exudate or transudate, as well as interstitial thickening or partial collapse of the lung alveoli.

The lesions present on the CT images were more likely to have peripheral distribution (87%) and bilateral involvement (82%). They were also more likely to be lower lung predominant (54%) and multifocal (54%).

Just over 70% of the patients were aged between 21 and 50, and 78% had fever as the onset symptom. Only five patients showed disease associated with a family outbreak.

"

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

Ugh. This is the kind of stuff that gives me pause...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement